'It sorted one team's problems out!' - Horner questions FIA porpoising ruling in Montreal

By Sports Desk June 21, 2022

The FIA allowing Formula One constructors to utilise a second floor stay to combat porpoising is "overtly biased" to one team, according to Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who appeared to reference Mercedes.

Mercedes have struggled throughout the season with porpoising – otherwise known as bouncing unevenly – and are third in the constructors' standings, 116 points behind leaders Red Bull.

Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time world champion and Mercedes star, suffered serious discomfort and back injuries with the W13 car at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

The Briton was subsequently fit to compete at the Canadian Grand Prix, where he and team-mate George Russell took third and fourth respectively in an improved Mercedes performance.

Hamilton and Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff both suggested after the race in Montreal that improvements were slowly being made to the car.

However, Horner was enraged by the FIA's short-term technical directive to allow the implementation of the second stay in cars to help stiffen their floor, with Mercedes the only team to attempt to do so.

"What was particularly disappointing was the second stay because that has to be discussed in a technical forum," Horner said.

"And that is overtly biased to sorting one team’s problems out, which were the only team that turned up here with it even in advance of the technical directive, so work that one out."

Russell has been one of the more vocal in calling for changes to counteract porpoising, while Hamilton's well-documented injury issues in Baku furthered his reason for concern with the W13 model.

But Horner assures Red Bull have had no similar problems, and thus it is an issue that Mercedes must fix themselves, without the FIA offering short-term technical directives.

"The issue with Mercedes is more severe than any other car," Horner added. "That surely is down to the team, that's within their control to deal with that.

"It's not affecting others. I know they've said that other drivers have been complaining, our drivers have never complained ever about porpoising. Certainly, we haven't had an issue with bouncing."

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer declared on Saturday that any team who ran the stay in qualifying and the race could be protested against, with the rules not matching the technical directive.

Horner agreed with Szafnauer as he lamented the FIA for their technical directive change.

"You can't just suddenly change technical regulations halfway through a season," the Red Bull chief continued. "If a car is dangerous, a team shouldn't field it. It has that choice.

"Or the FIA if they feel an individual car is dangerous they always have a black flag at their disposal."

Related items

  • Zhou gets all-clear for Austrian Grand Prix after terrifying Silverstone crash Zhou gets all-clear for Austrian Grand Prix after terrifying Silverstone crash

    Zhou Guanyu revealed he has been given the all-clear to race at this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix, a remarkable outcome just four days after his shocking Silverstone crash.

    The British Grand Prix was red-flagged on the opening lap because of Alfa Romeo driver Zhou's terrifying shunt at turn one.

    The Chinese driver's car flipped over after George Russell's Mercedes careered into him following contact with Pierre Gasly's AlphaTauri.

    It subsequently shot across the gravel and over the barrier and into the catch fence protecting spectators, leading to a worrying wait before it was confirmed Zhou was not seriously hurt.

    Zhou said after the race that the marshals and medics had been "fantastic" in dealing with his perilous situation, and said it was his intention to race in Austria.

    Now he has confirmed he will drive at Spielberg after undergoing various checks to confirm he is fit to take part.

    Zhou wrote on Twitter: "Finished the final medical check, all good to go! Thanks to all of the people who supported me during this time, means the world. LET’S GO!"

    The 23-year-old has taken five points from two top-10 finishes so far in his rookie season in F1.

  • Ferrari must consolidate on Red Bull's home turf as F1 heads to Austria Ferrari must consolidate on Red Bull's home turf as F1 heads to Austria

    After recent issues with reliability putting a dent in their championship hopes, Ferrari were able to marginally recover at the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz's maiden Formula One race win.

    It was a bittersweet Sunday for the Scuderia at Silverstone, however, with tactics scuppering a potential one-two finish with Charles Leclerc, who fell away to finish fourth on older hard tyres following a late safety car.

    Ferrari capitalised to some extent, but were not able to take full advantage of Max Verstappen's damaged floor putting him out of contention for the race win.

    Now heading into Red Bull's home race at the Austrian Grand Prix, the championship challengers simply must recover more ground if they are to mount a real threat in the standings.

    Reigning world champion Verstappen has won the last two races and claimed the last two pole positions at Spielberg, however, making a repeat of Sunday's run to the chequered flag for Ferrari unlikely.

    Red Bull have won three of the past four Austrian GPs, with Verstappen taking all three for the team.

    The Red Bull Ring has been a happy hunting ground for the 24-year-old, reaching the podium six times, with two fastest laps as well as his four wins and two pole positions, with all being the most out of any circuit in his career.

    A Ferrari win would prove an important historical moment for the team, though, as well as what it means in context of this season.

    The Scuderia need only 23 points to be the first team in F1 to reach 9,000 points, while both they and Mercedes are one win away from equalling McLaren's record six wins in Austria.

    Meanwhile, they are one clearout of the front row away from surpassing Mercedes for the most one-two qualifying finishes in F1, with both on 82.

    Can Sainz push on after breaking through?

    Carlos Sainz finally broke through at Silverstone, even declining team orders to collect the race win upon the resumption after the safety car.

    Despite a tricky start to the season, Sainz has slowly developed confidence in the car, with six podiums this season

    One more would see him surpass his total over the previous seven seasons in F1, and could be the first Spaniard since Fernando Alonso in 2010 to record back-to-back wins.

    Austria does not follow 'El Plan'

    Alonso's longevity and focus has been nothing short of extraordinary since returning to F1, but Austria has not been the most forthcoming of places for him.

    Despite encouraging recent form, including a second place in qualifying in Canada and a fifth-place finish at Silverstone, the 40-year-old will be looking to change that.

    The two-time world champion has appeared nine times at Spielberg, the circuit with his lowest aggregate of race wins, pole positions, fastest laps and podiums in his career.

    CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS

    Drivers

    1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) 181
    2. Sergio Perez (Red Bull) 147
    3. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) 138
    4. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) 127
    5. George Russell (Mercedes) 111

    Constructors

    1. Red Bull 328
    2. Ferrari 265
    3. Mercedes 204
    4. McLaren 73
    5. Alpine 67

  • Russell says lessons must be learned from 'scary' Zhou crash Russell says lessons must be learned from 'scary' Zhou crash

    George Russell says Formula One must learn lessons from the "scary" Zhou Guanyu crash that overshadowed Sunday's British Grand Prix.

    The race at Silverstone was red flagged early on after Russell was clipped by Pierre Gasly on the first corner and subsequently caught Zhou.

    Zhou's Alfa Romeo flipped over, rolled numerous times and only stopped when hitting the safety barrier in front of the spectators.

    The 23-year-old was stuck upside down in the car due to being wedged below the fence, with safety crews struggling to reach him as the race was delayed by an hour.

    While Zhou later provided an update to confirm he was "okay", Russell hopes governing body the FIA will thoroughly investigate the incident so a repeat can be avoided.

    "Firstly, I'm glad to see Zhou's okay," Russell said. "It was an incredibly scary incident, not just for him but for everyone in the crowd as well. It's never nice to see.

    "It was horrible. In that position he was stuck there, with nothing he could have done. We need to have a think to avoid a car being stuck in such a fine gap.

    "The space between the barriers and the metal fence and he was just stuck in there, nowhere to go. Yeah, something to learn…"

    Zhou, who is debuting this season in F1, was taken to a nearby hospital for checks and released later on Sunday.

    He put his lucky escape down to the halo head-protection device that has been used since 2018.

    "It was a big crash and I'm glad I'm okay," he said. "The marshals and the medical team at the track were fantastic with their quick response.

    "I also owe my thanks to the FIA and Formula 1 for all the work they have done, and they keep doing, to improve the safety of our cars.

    "The halo saved me, and it goes to show that every step we take in improving our cars has real, valuable results."

    Williams driver Alex Albon also required medical attention following a separate incident in the early throes of an action-packed race that was won by Carlos Sainz.

    Albon was catapulted into the pit wall after being rammed by Sebastian Vettel, though like Zhou he escaped without any physical injuries.

    "I'm very glad that everyone else involved in the first-lap incident is okay," he said. "Thank you to the medical staff at the track and Coventry hospital.

    "It's a shame the race ended before it began today but we are already fully focused on Austria [this coming weekend]. Bring on the next one."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.