Formula One announces six Sprint venues for 2023

By Sports Desk December 07, 2022

Formula One has announced the venues for the six Sprint weekends during the 2023 season, doubling the amount from the 2022 season.

The Sprint moves the standard qualifying session to Friday, with a 100-kilometre dash on a Saturday deciding the grid for the main race on a Sunday.

For the 2022 season, four new venues will host Sprint events in Azerbaijan, Belgium, Qatar and the United States (Circuit of the Americas).

Interlagos in Brazil will stand as the only venue to have hosted Sprint events in each season from 2021, while Austria's Red Bull Ring featured the revised format last season.

Speaking on the increase of Sprint events, Formula One CEO Stefano Domenicali said: "We have seen a hugely positive reaction to the F1 Sprint events during the first two years of its running, and we can't wait to bring even more action to fans with six events next year, including our first US F1 Sprint in Austin.

"The introduction of the F1 Sprint has created a race weekend that includes three days of competitive racing action and brings more entertainment to fans of the sport as well as additional value for key stakeholders including teams, broadcasters, partners, and host venues."

Previously, Silverstone, Monza and Imola have hosted Sprint events but, for 2023, those races will have the regular qualifying format, along with the rest of the calendar.

Related items

  • Fast-rising Fraser McConnell wins his third RallyCross top qualifier event in Calgary Fast-rising Fraser McConnell wins his third RallyCross top qualifier event in Calgary

    Fraser McConnell continues to enhance his reputation as an elite RallyCross driver when he won his second qualifying event at Stampede Park in Calgary on Saturday.

  • Verstappen expects Hamilton title challenge 'if he has the car to do it' Verstappen expects Hamilton title challenge 'if he has the car to do it'

    Formula One world champion Max Verstappen expects Lewis Hamilton to challenge him for the title next year "if he has the car to do it".

    Hamilton, a seven-time drivers' championship winner, was blighted by car issues with Mercedes last season as he failed to win a race for the first time in his career.

    Red Bull star Verstappen tallied a record-breaking 15 wins to finish 146 points ahead of closest rival Charles Leclerc in a dominant title-winning 2022 campaign.

    But the Dutchman does not envisage a third straight F1 crown coming with such relative ease in 2023.

    "He's been one of the greatest drivers ever in the sport, so for sure if he has the car to do it, he can fight for the title again," Verstappen told Sky Sports of Hamilton.

    He added: "But that's the same for George [Russell], it's the same for Charles, it's the same for Lando [Norris] – if you give them the car that's capable of winning the championship, they can.

    "But it's also about when you have the car then the pressure comes you cannot afford big mistakes.

    "That's a bit of a different pressure you have but I'm confident once these guys get onto a roll like that it is all possible, they all have talent to do so."

    Red Bull cruised to the constructors' championship last year, winning the title for the first time since 2013.

    However, the team have been hit with wind tunnel testing restrictions and CFD limitations after they were judged to have breached financial regulations.

    The full impact of those punishments is unclear but a reduction in time allowed in the wind tunnel could lead Red Bull to fall behind their rivals in aerodynamic developments.

    "You always try to go for it, but I don't know if we're going to be good enough," Verstappen added.

    "Of course as a team we believe we are, we are very motivated, we come off the back of a very strong year and we are working flat out to try and achieve that."

    Ford will return to F1 this year for the first time since 2004 and partner with Red Bull from 2026.

    Verstappen cannot wait for the partnership after seeing success in a collaboration with Honda, having also witnessed first-hand the struggles with the Renault combination.

    "I signed twice without actually fully knowing what was coming in terms of engines, and people said maybe that's a crazy thing to do," he continued.

    "I believed in the project and I believed that everyone involved would make the right decisions for the team.

    "The first one they made going with Honda, I think that worked out really well and now for the future this is the next step – Ford in 2026 – and I believe in it.

    "If we all believe in it, I'm sure we can create something really cool."

  • Red Bull launch RB19 car as Ford F1 return confirmed Red Bull launch RB19 car as Ford F1 return confirmed

    Ford will return to Formula One for the first time since 2004 and partner with Red Bull from 2026.

    Red Bull revealed their RB19 car for the 2023 season at a launch event in New York City on Friday, with reigning F1 champion Max Verstappen, team-mate Sergio Perez and team principal Christian Horner in attendance.

    Ford, meanwhile, will return to F1 after a 22-year absence, working with Red Bull to build a power unit for F1's next engine regulations.

    "We are mavericks, we are pushing the boundaries. We are looking forward to this busy season in 2023," said Horner, whose team took the constructors' title off Mercedes last year, as well as seeing Verstappen win for a second straight year.

    "It is going to be an incredible season; our rivals for sure haven't stood still. Ferrari are going to be competitive, Mercedes are going to be there; there are some other teams that could make some big progress as well.

    "In Bahrain, in a couple of weeks' time, we will get to see everyone's car and see if we have missed something, have we not.

    "There is going to be highs and lows along the way, but I think we are in a good place. We are going to have to be at the top of our game this season."

    Of Red Bull's partnership with Ford, Horner added: "To welcome the Ford brand back into Formula One, to have the Red Bull Ford powertrain is going to be very exciting.

    "There was a natural synergy between the two companies, it was an easy deal – 2026 seems like a long way away, but in the engine world, it is tomorrow.

    "We have recruited some incredible talent and have some great people in the team.  We are really excited about what we can achieve."

    Ford's involvement in F1 began in the 1960s with a long-standing partnership with British firm Cosworth.

    They are the third-most successful engine manufacturer in the history of F1, having played a part in winning 10 constructors' championships and 13 drivers' championships.

    Ford chief executive Jim Farley said: "We don't want to make generic cars, faceless vehicles; we want vehicles with an attitude – this team represents that."

    Horner said: "It's a huge era for the team. As Formula One moves to pretty much a 50-50 split between hybridisation and combustion power, we wanted to have a like-minded partner.

    "It's great to see the Ford brand coming back into Formula One."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.