Audi to join F1 from 2026 as power unit supplier

By Sports Desk August 26, 2022

Audi's entry into Formula One in 2026 has been officially announced, with the German manufacturers joining as a power unit supplier.

Owned by the VW Group, Audi's move into F1 alongside sister company Porsche has been widely reported this year but finer details were scarce.

On Friday, ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, Audi's entry was made official from the 2026 season and they will announce who they are lining up with later this year.

Audi's entry comes after new power unit regulations were announced earlier this month, which were specifically designed to make entry to F1 possible and attractive for newcomers.

"I am delighted to welcome Audi to Formula 1, an iconic automotive brand, pioneer and technological innovator," F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali said.

"This is a major moment for our sport that highlights the huge strength we have as a global platform that continues to grow.

"It is also a big recognition that our move to sustainably fuelled hybrid engines in 2026 is a future solution for the automotive sector. 

"We are all looking forward to seeing the Audi logo on the grid and will be hearing further details from them on their plans in due course."

Further announcements from Audi may see them take over an existing team on the grid, with the desire for the famous four rings to become prominent in the sport, and it has been reported an agreement with Sauber, racing as Alfa Romeo, is '75 per cent' complete.

In contrast, sister company Porsche are widely expected to partner with Red Bull and are not set to introduce a branded team.

BREAKING: Audi will join Formula 1 in 2026!#F1 pic.twitter.com/fRnPvmSwU2

— Formula 1 (@F1) August 26, 2022

Related items

  • Former IndyCar champion Palou steps up to reserve role with McLaren Former IndyCar champion Palou steps up to reserve role with McLaren

    Alex Palou, the 2021 IndyCar champion, has been named as one of McLaren's reserve drivers for the 2023 Formula One season.

    The 25-year-old, who ran in testing with the outfit across the 2022 season, is set to balance his time in the cockpit with his schedule in IndyCar.

    Earlier this year, Palou was involved in a dispute over his future, with McLaren and then-current team Ganassi both suggesting he was under contract for next year with them.

    After the latter initially filed a lawsuit against the racer, it was settled for him to test, though now the Spaniard makes the step up inside McLaren's team structure.

    "I'm excited to be part of the McLaren team as one of their reserve drivers in 2023," Palou said in a statement. 

    "I can't wait for the involvement with next year's car.

    "I look forward to continuing my development as a driver and I appreciate the trust McLaren have in me with this new role next year."

    McLaren were involved in a dispute over new driver Oscar Piastri too, after the latter left Alpine amid a bitter fallout over his future.

    The Australian will succeed Daniel Ricciardo for the team on a contract through 2024, and will partner Lando Norris, with McLaren yet to confirm the remainder of their reserve driver pool.

  • Ferrari principal Binotto to leave at end of year Ferrari principal Binotto to leave at end of year

    Ferrari have confirmed the departure of team principal Mattia Binotto, ending a professional relationship that extends all the way back to 1995.

    The 53-year-old, who originally joined almost three decades ago as a member of their engine department, succeeded Maurizio Arrivabene in 2019 in charge of the Scuderia.

    But his departure has been widely expected following a Formula One season that saw Ferrari rival Red Bull in the early stages before dropping away amid a series of technical errors and operational failures.

    Binotto will officially depart at the end of the year, on December 31, with the team adding a search for his successor is already underway.

    "With the regret that this entails, I have decided to conclude my collaboration with Ferrari," he confirmed in a statement.

    "I am leaving a company that I love with the serenity that comes from the conviction that I have made every effort to achieve the objectives set.

    "I leave a united and growing team. I think it is right to take this step at this time, as hard as this decision has been for me."

    Ferrari chief executive officer Benedetto Vigna paid tribute to Binotto, and added he leaves the team in a prime place to continue to compete at the top of the sport.

    "I would like to thank Mattia for his many great contributions over 28 years with Ferrari and particularly for leading the team back to a position of competitiveness during this past year," he stated.

    "As a result, we are in a strong position to renew our challenge, above all for our amazing fans around the world, to win the ultimate prize in motorsport.

    "Everyone here at the Scuderia and in the wider Ferrari community wishes Mattia well for the future."

  • 'If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop' - Verstappen ready for mammoth F1 calendar 'If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop' - Verstappen ready for mammoth F1 calendar

    Max Verstappen suggests any drivers in Formula One not prepared for a record-breaking race calendar next season should consider quitting.

    The Red Bull man, who claimed a second world drivers' championship crown this term, capped his imperious year with victory at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix earlier this month.

    But the Dutchman will face a longer fight to defend his title once more next term, with F1 poised for a possible 24-race campaign, two more than in 2022.

    That has raised concerns over the fatigue drivers may face across a mammoth season, but Verstappen suggests those who do not feel they are cut out for the long haul should step back.

    "If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop already, right?" he told The Guardian. "I think we're all racers, and we love racing.

    "I think we are all prepared for longer seasons. I hope it will be tight. It's always nice to have a fight until the end. But yeah, I'm prepared for more races and for a longer fight hopefully."

    Having seen the battle for his maiden title in 2021 go down to the wire in controversial circumstances, Verstappen ultimately secured his second crown with four races to go, at the Japanese Grand Prix.

    Acknowledging it was nice to have a change of pace, the Dutchman also affirmed his hopes for a closer contest next term.

    "You can't have that drama every single year, for sure," he reflected on 2021. "It's not good for me, it's not healthy for anyone in the team, both teams.

    "Of course it's nice to have a season like I had last year, but it's also nice to have a season like I have this year.

    "It just would be very tough if you have that every single year. But that also doesn't really happen in F1, so it should be okay."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.