Alpine shock as Piastri turns down drive for next season, says he's leaving

By Sports Desk August 02, 2022

Australian Oscar Piastri has refuted an announcement from Alpine that he will race for them in Formula One next season.

The stunning move came on Tuesday as Alpine reserve driver Piastri shot down the team's assertion he would be taking the seat of Aston Martin-bound Fernando Alonso.

Piastri, last year's Formula 2 champion, has been linked with Williams and McLaren recently, but Alpine have been determined to keep him.

However, the 21-year-old said in a statement posted on Twitter: "I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year.

"This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Team principal Otmar Szafnauer has claimed Piastri does have "a legal contract" for next year with the Renault-owned marque, seemingly putting him in direct conflict with the young driver.

The disagreement will need to be resolved, with Szafnauer having told motorsport.com "I'm not privy to whatever pre-arrangements he has with McLaren, if any at all."

He added: "Oscar and his camp are considering their options, whatever that means."

This situation has been brought into the spotlight amid Alpine's need to find a replacement for Alonso, who has agreed to succeed retiring former four-time champion Sebastian Vettel with Aston Martin.

The drama comes as Formula One enters its short mid-season break.

German great Vettel will retire from Formula One at the end of the season, with Szafnauer indicating he was expecting Alonso to commit to a new Alpine contract until news came through of Aston Martin's move for the Spanish veteran, who won the 2005 and 2006 world titles.

In Alpine's now-contradicted statement about the appointment of Piastri, Szafnauer described the youngster as "a bright and rare talent".

He added: "Through our collaboration over the past four years, we have seen him develop and mature into a driver who is more than capable of taking the step up to Formula One."

Related items

  • Hamilton urges FIA to punish budget cap breaches as he outlines Mercedes commitment Hamilton urges FIA to punish budget cap breaches as he outlines Mercedes commitment

    Lewis Hamilton has urged the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) to take action against any team in the event of the budget cap being breached.

    Formula One's governing body was due to issue their publication on the 2021 budget cap on Wednesday before announcing a delay, with the outcome now to be shared on October 10.

    Widespread reports have suggested that there are two teams guilty of exceeding the cap last season, with speculation mounting one of them is Red Bull, and Mercedes star Hamilton wants the FIA to take firm action against any guilty parties.

    "I like to think that if it's being delayed, it's because it's being taken very seriously. It would be bad for the sport if action wasn't taken if there was a breach," he told reporters.

    "It is imperative, for transparency, [that punishments are handed out]. We need to continue to have transparency for the fans and the integrity of the sport.

    "I know there are a lot of conversations in the background. No one truly knows. There are different numbers and things being said here and there."

  • Verstappen targets 'perfect weekend' in Japan as he chases title after Singapore jolt Verstappen targets 'perfect weekend' in Japan as he chases title after Singapore jolt

    Max Verstappen wants to seal the Formula One drivers' title in style with "a perfect weekend" at the Japanese Grand Prix, and he says Red Bull need that.

    The reigning champion trailed in seventh last week in Singapore after what he described as "a very messy weekend" and "a prime example of how you don't want a weekend to go".

    He had previously won five straight races and recorded 11 victories in 2022, but Verstappen struggled on a soaked Marina Bay Street Circuit.

    Still, his lead over second-placed Charles Leclerc in the championship is a commanding 104 points, and that means Verstappen has an opportunity to wrap up the title with four races to spare. Only Michael Schumacher in 2002 (six races to spare) and Nigel Mansell in 1995 (five) have been crowned champion sooner in a season.

    Verstappen said Red Bull's close relationship with engine builder Honda, a Japanese firm, would make winning the title this weekend "a little bit extra special".

    The Japan race was scrubbed from last year's calendar because of the COVID-19 situation, which Verstappen said was "a shame".

    "So that's why we're really looking forward to being back here and then we'll see what happens. We need a perfect weekend, that's for sure," said the 25-year-old.

    "It would be very nice if it happens here, but if it doesn't happen here, I will be even more in favour the next race."

    Verstappen's second consecutive title is practically a formality at this stage, and if he wins and posts the fastest lap this weekend then he is assured of being champion.

    Twelve F1 champions have been crowned after results in the Japanese Grand Prix, with Sebastian Vettel in 2011 the most recent driver to clinch the title at Suzuka.

    Verstappen is trying to brush off the importance of the race, saying on Formula1.com: "It doesn't really change anything; you want to have a good weekend and try to maximise everything you can, and of course I need a perfect weekend to be able to clinch the title here but, to be honest, I'm not really thinking about it too much."

  • Red Bull face budget cap breach findings wait after FIA delays reveal Red Bull face budget cap breach findings wait after FIA delays reveal

    The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) has delayed its decision over potential Formula One budget cap breaches by Red Bull and Aston Martin until October 10.

    F1's governing body, which had been expected to release its Certificates of Compliance for the 2021 season on Wednesday, has made a five-day postponement to its decision amid ongoing furore.

    Red Bull, whose driver Max Verstappen won the Drivers' World Championship in a controversial finale last year, are one of two teams alleged by rivals to have breached the competition's fiscal limits.

    Principal Christian Horner has reiterated confidence in his team and threatened his counterpart at Mercedes, Toto Wolff, with legal action over his claims.

    But the wait to discover just whether Red Bull committed a breach will now last until next week.

    "The FIA informs that the conclusion of the analysis of the 2021 financial submissions of the Formula One teams and the subsequent release of Certificates of Compliance to the Financial Regulations will not take place on Wednesday, 5 October," the organisation stated.

    "The analysis of financial submissions is a long and complex process that is ongoing and will be concluded to enable the release of the Certificates on Monday, 10 October.

    "The Financial Regulations were agreed unanimously by all Competitors, who have worked positively and collaboratively with the FIA Cost Cap Administration throughout this first year under the Financial Regulations.

    "As previously communicated, there has been significant and unsubstantiated speculation and conjecture in relation to this matter, and the FIA reiterates that until it is finalised, no further information will be provided.

    "The FIA also reiterates that any suggestion that FIA personnel have disclosed sensitive information is equally baseless."

    Punishment is likely to follow if Red Bull are deemed to have committed a breach, though the extent of whether it would strip Verstappen of his maiden world title is unknown.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.