PSG complete permanent signing of on-loan left-back Mendes

By Sports Desk May 31, 2022

Nuno Mendes has signed a four-year contract at Paris Saint-Germain after the Ligue 1 club triggered their purchase option.

The Portugal left-back initially joined PSG on loan from Sporting CP last year as the final signing of a busy transfer window in which Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos also arrived, among others.

While Messi and Ramos each failed to perform to the levels expected of them in their debut seasons in France, Mendes was a steady presence as Mauricio Pochettino's men won the title.

He made 37 appearances in all competitions, including 27 in Ligue 1 – 18 as a starter – as he created 19 chances and provided a single assist.

Mendes will now have the opportunity to add to that tally in the coming campaign after PSG made use of their option to buy the 19-year-old, as was expected.

His signing has reportedly seen PSG pay Sporting €40million.

Related items

  • Galtier holds talks with Kimpembe to clear up vice-captaincy confusion Galtier holds talks with Kimpembe to clear up vice-captaincy confusion

    Christophe Galtier has held talks with Presnel Kimpembe to clarify that the centre-back remains one of Paris Saint-Germain's vice-captains.

    Kylian Mbappe wore the captain's armband in Monday's 7-0 Coupe de France win over sixth-tier Pays de Cassel in the absence of regular skipper Marquinhos.

    Speaking to reporters after the cup rout, Galtier said Mbappe – who scored five times – "deserves" to be second captain when Marquinhos is not available.

    Kimpembe, who has not played since November due to a heel injury, took to social media on Tuesday to state he had not been previously informed about Galtier's decision.

    However, PSG head coach Galtier has since discussed the matter with Kimpembe to dissipate any misunderstanding.

    "I expressed myself badly on Monday," Galtier said at a pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday's Ligue 1 match with Reims. 

    "The choices are very clear: Kylian is one of the vice-captains. Every time Kimpembe has been on the field and Marquinhos hasn't been, Kimpembe has had the armband.

    "When Marquinhos isn't available, there is another captain. In the Lens match there was neither Kimpembe, Marco [Verratti] nor Marquinhos, so Kylian was captain.

    "I decided to have Kylian as captain in the last game because he is one of the vice-captains, not 'the' vice-captain. I've had a discussion with Kimpembe to explain all this."

    PSG's victory against Pays de Cassel came on the back of a 1-0 loss to Rennes in their most recent Ligue 1 match as their lead on Lens at the summit was cut to three points.

    However, not since September 2020 have they lost successive league matches, while their return of 47 points after 19 matches is their fifth-best ever at this stage.

    The reigning champions face a tough test this weekend, though, as they host a Reims side unbeaten in 11 Ligue 1 games – the longest run of any side in the division.

    "It will be a difficult match for us to begin this run of games," Galtier said. "They have changed system and coach, and we know it will be a challenge for us.

    "We now have Kimpembe back in training and Marco Verratti is back with the group. We have to cope with the calendar and focus more on recovery."

    PSG are unbeaten in their past 31 Ligue 1 games at the Parc des Princes, winning 27 of those, and have scored in each of the past 20 on home soil.

  • Klopp suggests FA Cup ties should be reserved for midweek days Klopp suggests FA Cup ties should be reserved for midweek days

    Jurgen Klopp once again lamented Liverpool's fixture list and suggested FA Cup ties should not be played on weekend days.

    Liverpool head to Brighton and Hove Albion in the fourth round on Sunday, eight days on from their most recent match – a 0-0 Premier League draw with Chelsea.

    It has been a rare week off for Klopp's men, who won both the FA Cup and EFL Cup last season, but the German is still not entirely pleased with his side's schedule.

    "We're not famous for going long in the cups, apart from last year," he said at Friday's pre-match press conference. "Cups are difficult when you have midweek games.

    "Now we have full weeks to prepare, but in our schedule, I'm not sure the FA Cup should be at a weekend. But we deal with it. It's not a problem for now."

    Liverpool are aiming to avoid successive losses against Brighton for the first time ever following their 3-0 league defeat at the Amex Stadium earlier this month.

    Klopp described that performance at the time as the worst he has ever seen from one of his sides in a coaching career spanning 1,000 matches.

    The Reds have since defeated Wolves 1-0 in the previous round of the FA Cup and played out a stalemate with Chelsea, which leaves them ninth in the league.

    While his side have won just one of their five matches this calendar year, Klopp is glad they have kept back-to-back clean sheets for only the second time this season.

    "Clean sheets are massive for us. Everyone waits for free-flowing performance but that takes time and it starts with clean sheets," Klopp said.

    "That Brighton game is still the worst game I have ever seen of a team of mine. Thank god as we have played a few games since then.

    "The first half against Chelsea we were very disciplined and we didn't give them a lot. We have to do that again against Brighton, of course."

     

    Liverpool have progressed from three of their five FA Cup games against Brighton, most recently winning 6-1 in a last-16 tie in February 2012.

    However, since the 1925-26 season, only Wolves (30), Sheffield United (28) and West Ham (27) have suffered more fourth-round exits than Liverpool (26).

    The Reds make the trip to England's south coast with a number of players still injured, but Klopp confirmed some key men are closing in on a return.

    "Diogo [Jota], Bobby [Roberto Firmino] and Virgil [van Dijk] are a couple of weeks from joining training," he said.

    "Arthur [Melo] is running a lot, so maybe two or three weeks before he joins team training, but he is looking good. Fabio Carvalho is still out and is not ready for Sunday."

  • Rumour Has It: Arsenal plan £75million push for Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo Rumour Has It: Arsenal plan £75million push for Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo

    Arsenal are reportedly weighing up a potential £75million bid for young Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo.

    Caicedo, 21, has been one of the breakout stars of the Premier League season, starting 18 of Brighton's 19 league fixtures to help his side up to sixth.

    The talented central midfielder has already earned 28 caps for Ecuador and collected valuable experience at the Qatar World Cup, where he scored against Senegal in the group stage.

    Brighton have rejected some serious bids already this month, and while they have reportedly set Caicedo's price at nine figures, Arsenal are prepared to test how much money they are willing to turn down.

     

    TOP STORY – ARSENAL PREPARE BUMPER BID FOR BRIGHTON TALENT

    According to Fichajes, Arsenal are determined to add reinforcements before the end of January, and they will see if £75m is enough to pry Caicedo away from Brighton.

    Metro had previously reported Brighton would hold out for a fee in the range of £100m, having already batted away a £50m approach from Chelsea.

    Fichajes believes Arsenal are willing to outspend Chelsea in the pursuit of Caicedo, which has them in the driver's seat if Brighton are willing to budge before the transfer window closes.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – According to the Daily Telegraph, Chelsea and Liverpool will both pursue 24-year-old Wolves midfielder Matheus Nunes, who is expected to cost £55m.

    – 90min is reporting Tottenham are confident they will complete their move for 23-year-old Sporting right-back Pedro Porro in the coming days after negotiations over his release clause.

    – 90min adds Sporting will target 22-year-old Brighton full-back Tariq Lamptey as Porro's replacement, although Lyon are also interested in the Seagulls defender.

    – Everton have lowered their asking price for Anthony Gordon to £40m plus add-ons after their initial £60m valuation put off Newcastle United, per the Telegraph.

    – Gazzetta dello Sport is reporting Inter will demand £35m (€40m) for 26-year-old right-back Denzel Dumfries, who is a target of Chelsea, Newcastle and Manchester United.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.