Rumour Has It: Darwin Nunez sets sights on Premier League

By Sports Desk May 31, 2022

Striker Darwin Nunez has reportedly chosen the Premier League as his preferred destination in the upcoming transfer window as he prepares to leave Benfica after a breakout season.

Nunez, who turns 23 in June, burst onto the European stage with an incredible Champions League campaign, netting six goals in 10 matches – a Benfica record – including scoring in both legs against Liverpool in the knockout stages.

He was just as impressive domestically, scoring 26 goals in 28 Primeira Liga games, and now looks to be on the move.

TOP STORY – DARWIN'S THEORIES LEAD HIM TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE

Football Transfers reports that both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid had weighed up offers for Nunez, but he has his heart set on the Premier League.

Liverpool and Manchester United are reportedly in the strongest position, while Newcastle United and Tottenham are also interested and are said to have met with his representatives.

Nunez is being represented by Eugenio Lopez, who had previously represented fellow Benfica team-mate Nicolas Otamendi in his move from Valencia to Manchester City.

ROUND-UP

United have engaged in talks with Ajax over 20-year-old Netherlands centre-back Jurrien Timber, with the price tag said to be in the range of £43million, according to the Guardian.

– According to Sky Sports, Sadio Mane has not told Liverpool he wants to leave the club as rumours swirl about a potential move to Bayern Munich.

– The Telegraph is reporting City will look to sign Brighton and Hove Albion full-back Marc Cucurella and Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips, while according to the Daily Mail, they also have strong interest in Leicester City youngster Ben Nelson.

Paris Saint-Germain have exercised their buy option on loanee Nuno Mendes, securing his services going forward for a €40m fee, per Fabrizio Romano.

– The Daily Mail is reporting Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal are all interested in making a move for Everton striker Richarlison if he decides to leave Goodison Park.

Related items

  • Southgate believes England will be stronger for poor run as World Cup approaches Southgate believes England will be stronger for poor run as World Cup approaches

    Gareth Southgate believes England have grown stronger as a result of their poor form ahead of the World Cup, as he pledged to stand firm on his selections.

    England suffered a humiliating relegation from the top tier of the Nations League last month, finishing their campaign with three points – and no wins – from six games.

    The Three Lions begin their World Cup campaign against Iran on November 21, and their six-match winless run is their longest such sequence going into a major tournament.  

    Southgate was jeered by England supporters in the aftermath of a 1-0 defeat to Italy on September 23 and has been criticised for standing by Manchester United's struggling defender Harry Maguire.

    Speaking at Monday's Legends of Football event in aid of Nordoff Robbins Music, Southgate accepted criticism of his decisions, but maintained he must sometimes resist "popular appeal".

    "I think everybody in the country can see we're trying to accomplish extraordinary things," he said. "To accomplish extraordinary things is incredibly difficult. 

    "This is a job where every decision, every selection is questioned, debated, ridiculed. That's just by my postman, by the way!

    "Column inches are full, airwaves are filled. As a manager, you're not going to get every decision right.

    "But I have to be strong enough to withstand popular appeal for something and do what I really believe gives us the best chance to win. 

    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, and blaming it on you. If you can trust yourself, when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too. That doubting, that noise that surrounds us is because people care. They're passionate. 

    "They just want to win, and I understand that. And if we don't win for six matches, then quite rightly, I have to accept that criticism. 

    "That's what goes with our job. If nobody cared or commented, then it wouldn't be the great and incredible challenge that it is."

    England failed to score an open-play goal in their first five Nations League games, before coming from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 in last week's thrilling draw with Germany, but Southgate believes the team's poor run could benefit them heading to Qatar.

    "Milan was painful. I knew walking over to our fans that it wasn't going to end well. But I wasn't going to take a backward step," Southgate added.

    "I've enjoyed the warmth and the adulation, so you've got to ride with the discomfort as well.

    "Against Germany, I think we showed what we're capable of, good and bad. It showed there is character there. As a team, I think we'll be better for that challenging period we've just been through.

    "You wouldn't choose to go into a World Cup with the run of results we've had, but I actually think we're stronger for that and the players have had to take some ownership. 

    "Those moments, like coming back from to 2-0 down and hearing the roof lift off Wembley, are hard to describe."

    With England reaching the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 and finishing as runners-up at Euro 2020, expectations surrounding the Three Lions have undoubtedly risen.

    "In seven weeks' time, I get to lead my country to another World Cup. We have players I'm proud to lead, who give us everything," Southgate said.

    "We want to bring people together, create memories and history. I've said before the last two tournaments: if we can make people proud, we'll have had an amazing time.

    "I know that the bar of what might be deemed success is raised and getting higher for us. But as a team, we have to focus on performance, and the rest will fall into place.

  • Martinez to Bayern links 'no surprise' to Inter striker's camp Martinez to Bayern links 'no surprise' to Inter striker's camp

    Lautaro Martinez's agent Alejandro Camano is not surprised by reports linking the Inter forward with Bayern Munich, insisting the Argentine is one of the world's top 10 players.

    Martinez scored 21 goals in 35 league outings as Inter finished as Serie A runners-up last season, and has begun the new campaign with three strikes in eight top-flight appearances.

    With Bayern struggling in the Bundesliga after opting against signing a direct replacement for Robert Lewandowski in the recent transfer window, the Bavarian giants have been touted as potential suitors for Martinez.

    Camano told TyC Sports such interest does not come as a surprise and revealed the 25-year-old rejected transfer offers in the latest window in order to focus on Inter.

    "I wouldn't be surprised because there are always requests, but Lautaro has very clear ideas," he said about the Bayern reports.

    "Today he thinks about Inter and the World Cup.

    "In the last market there were possibilities to leave for impressive figures, but he has understood that it was better not to change.

    "Lautaro is among the top 10 players in the world, and although I have many calls, he has two priorities by the end of the year: Inter and the national team. 

    "He is mature, with a nice family to accompany him, with an atmosphere of tranquillity, which is always important. He feels loved by Italians and Argentines.

    "He started the year with a beautiful project, with an Inter that was built in a powerful way. The truth is that winning the World Cup would be the icing on the cake for him."

    Alongside the likes of Lionel Messi and Angel Di Maria, Martinez has impressed in a fluid Argentina attack recently, with Lionel Scaloni leading his side to a 35-match unbeaten run.

    Argentina are just two games short of matching Italy's record 37-match unbeaten run in international football, and Camano believes they will be serious contenders at the World Cup.

    "Not only are Argentina a candidate, but those of us who know Lionel Scaloni know that he has the same leadership mentality he had when he played," he added. 

    "Lautaro's hope is the same as the others - they want to make people happy.

    "Winning a World Cup is not easy, but the team is ready to reach this goal."

  • Mane backs Benzema for Ballon d'Or success Mane backs Benzema for Ballon d'Or success

    Sadio Mane has backed Karim Benzema to win this year's Ballon d'Or, stating Real Madrid's talisman "easily deserves" football's greatest individual accolade.

    Benzema had an outstanding 2021-22 season, helping Madrid win LaLiga and the Champions League, with Los Blancos defeating Mane's Liverpool in the final.

    Since the start of last season, Benzema has scored 48 goals and provided 16 assists in all competitions for Madrid. In the same time, only Kylian Mbappe and Robert Lewandowski (both 50) have netted more times.

    The France striker also overtook Raul as Madrid's second-highest goalscorer, behind only Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Now at Bayern Munich after leaving Liverpool, Mane has also been shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or.

    He played a key role in Senegal winning the Africa Cup of Nations, while also propelling Liverpool to EFL Cup and FA Cup triumphs, though the Reds fell just short in Europe and in the Premier League.

    After scoring one and setting up another in Bayern’s 5-0 rout of Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League on Tuesday, Mane was asked who he believes should scoop the prize.

    "[Benzema's] had a great, great season with Real Madrid, he's won the Champions League... I think he easily deserves it, so I'm happy for him," Mane told reporters.

    "I know I won the Africa Cup of Nations, it was a relief for me and for the whole country, and I'm really happy to have won my first AFCON with my country. But I think it's Karim who deserves it, and I honestly believe that."

    Madrid legend, Jorge Valdano spoke to MARCA radio on the matter. 

    He said: "There is no other name for the Ballon d'Or after an extraordinary season. [Benzema] played football of exceptional quality and he has added goals and leadership.

    "He who is intelligent evolves in all aspects and he is the best example."

    The 2022 Ballon d'Or ceremony will take place on October 17 in Paris. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.