Hazard undergoes surgery that could end his Real Madrid injury woes

By Sports Desk March 29, 2022

Eden Hazard has undergone the surgery that could clear the way for the Real Madrid star to find his best form in LaLiga.

The 31-year-old Belgian, who was a Premier League superstar with Chelsea, has had major issues with his right ankle in recent years.

Madrid will be hoping that the best is still to come from Hazard, who has endured a torrid three seasons in LaLiga to date, struggling to do himself justice since a big-money transfer.

It is envisaged that the successful removal on Tuesday of an osteosynthesis plate in his right fibula might afford Hazard greater comfort, freeing him up to have a greater on-pitch impact.

Hazard broke the ankle while on international duty with Belgium in 2017 and required a small metal plate to be implanted as a healing aid.

Muscular issues around that area reportedly started to become a more regular problem after being on the end of a strong challenge from Belgium team-mate Thomas Meunier during a Champions League game between Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain in November 2019.

Shortly after returning from that "micro-fracture", Hazard suffered a more serious break to the fibula in February 2020, which required a larger metal plate to be inserted the following month.

Widespread reports since then have suggested Hazard feels that second plate has been the cause of his subsequent discomfort, with Madrid daily Marca claiming in March 2021 that he asked for it to be removed.

That has now happened, with Madrid announcing in a club statement on Tuesday: "Our player Eden Hazard today successfully underwent surgery at the Hospital Universitario Sanitas La Zarzuela to remove an osteosynthesis plate in his right fibula.

"The operation was performed by Dr Jose Palacios under the supervision of the Real Madrid medical department. Hazard is now at home and ready to begin his recovery."

Hazard's 17 LaLiga appearances this season is the most he has managed during a single campaign in Spain. Madrid lead the way by nine points in LaLiga, despite losing 4-0 to Barcelona last time out.

Marca reported Hazard is likely to be sidelined for four to six weeks, and that club president Florentino Perez visited him in hospital.

Related items

  • Ekitike staying at Reims unless Madrid or Barca come calling, claims coach Ekitike staying at Reims unless Madrid or Barca come calling, claims coach

    Hugo Ekitike may end up staying at Reims in this transfer window as he waits on a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

    Newcastle United have long since agreed a deal with Reims for the forward, but the transfer has not progressed further.

    Reports have suggested the demands of Ekitike's agent have put off Newcastle, while the 20-year-old has continued to be linked to other clubs.

    And Oscar Garcia, the Reims coach, revealed on Friday the player is in no hurry to leave.

    Wantaway Reims stars are said to have a July 10 deadline to secure moves, and with purported interest from Madrid subsequently dismissed, Ekitike's short-term future could still be in Ligue 1.

    Garcia told a news conference: "He told me that he wanted to stay, but if Real Madrid or Barcelona arrive...

    "I feel Hugo is calm. I spoke with him. He will have no problem staying at the club – and neither will I."

    Ekitike scored 10 goals and assisted three more in the league last season, contributing a goal involvement every 98 minutes on average.

    Attempting only 31 shots, his conversion rate of 32.3 per cent was the second-best among players with 20 or more attempts across Europe, far outperforming his expected goals total of 7.0.

    As well as Newcastle and Madrid, Ekitike has been linked with Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain.

  • Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

    Mohamed Salah has ended speculation over his future by signing a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

    The Egypt forward only had a year remaining on his previous deal with the Reds and could have departed as a free agent after the 2022-23 season.

    Liverpool on Friday revealed Salah has agreed to extend his successful stay at Anfield until 2025.

    The 30-year-old helped the Reds win the FA Cup and EFL Cup last season, while they also reached the Champions League final and finished second in the Premier League.

    He finished level with Son Heung-min as the Premier League's top scorer in the 2021-22 campaign, but his Liverpool future appeared to be in the balance as negotiations over a new deal dragged on.

    Salah's decision to remain on Merseyside is a huge boost for Jurgen Klopp’s side after the departure of Sadio Mane to Bayern Munich.

    He told Liverpool's official website: "I feel great and [I am] excited to win trophies with the club. It’s a happy day for everyone."

    Salah scored 31 goals and provided 15 assists in 51 appearances for the Reds last season.

    He scored 23 of those goals in the top flight as Liverpool pushed Manchester City all the way in the title race, only missing out on the final day when Pep Guardiola's team came from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa and regain the trophy.

    Salah had been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but his stint with Liverpool is far from over, as he prepares for a sixth season with the Reds, having arrived from Roma in 2017.

  • Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax

    Andre Onana has fulfilled a dream after completing his move to Inter.

    Inter confirmed the signing of the Cameroon international on Friday, the day after his contract with Ajax – where he has spent the past six years – came to an end.

    Last season's Serie A runners-up did not announce the length of Onana's deal, but it is reported to run through until the end of the 2026-27 campaign.

    Onana becomes Inter's fourth signing of the window, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Kristjan Asllani and Romelu Lukaku also arriving, the latter two on loan.

    "Dreams come true," Onana posted on his official Twitter page. "Super excited to join my new club, Inter.

    "I want to thank the president, the whole board of Inter, the coach and my own team for making my dream reality."

    Onana, who served a nine-month suspension last year after taking a banned substance, will provide competition for Samir Handanovic at San Siro.

    He becomes the fourth Cameroonian to play for Inter after Samuel Eto'o, Daniel Maa Boumsong and Pierre Wome, and their first African goalkeeper.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.