Lopetegui responds to Man Utd links: Sevilla is where I want to be

By Sports Desk March 29, 2022

Julen Lopetegui has no current desire to coach any other club as the Sevilla boss shut down suggestions he is a contender to take over at Manchester United.

Former Spain and Real Madrid boss Lopetegui is reportedly on United's shortlist to succeed interim manager Ralf Rangnick at the end of the campaign.

Lopetegui is rumoured to have been added to a list that also includes Mauricio Pochettino, Luis Enrique and favourite Erik ten Hag.

The 55-year-old has rebuilt his reputation with Sevilla since being dismissed by Spain and then Real Madrid, where he lasted just 138 days.

In two full seasons at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan, Lopetegui has delivered back-to-back top-four finishes and won the Europa League, beating United en route to that success.

Lopetegui has been linked with other clubs as well in recent times, apparently turning down Tottenham before they hired Nuno Espirito Santo last year, and it would seem he also has little interest in a move to Old Trafford.

"I've said it many times before: I am where I want to be, at Seville," Lopetegui told ABC de Sevilla. "I'm happy. I can develop my work here in the best possible way. I've no doubts.

"In football, no one ever knows where you might go, but I have no doubts. My will is firm. I am where I really want to be."

Sevilla suffered a disappointing Europa League last-16 exit to West Ham earlier this month, but Lopetegui's side are second in LaLiga with nine games to go.

The Spanish club's sporting director Monchi recently backed Lopetegui to stay at the helm for many years to come, and the former goalkeeper appreciates that support.

"I am very grateful for the words of Monchi," he said. "It's a comment that marks the club's intentions, just as I mark mine. But I have to prove all of that with my day-to-day work.

"We have to always be on our toes. We have to give our all and ensure we always live up to expectations by doing a job good. We will continue in this way.

"The confidence I have felt at this club from day one is absolute, something I will always be grateful for. I will try to return that."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Milan make offer to extend Rafael Leao deal amid Man City and Chelsea interest Rumour Has It: Milan make offer to extend Rafael Leao deal amid Man City and Chelsea interest

    Rafael Leao has plenty of admirers, having scored three goals in six Serie A appearances for Milan this term.

    The 23-year-old provided an assist for Portugal's first goal in Saturday's 4-0 win in the Czech Republic.

    The forward was voted the Serie A Most Valuable Player last season as the Rossoneri won the Scudetto.


    TOP STORY – MILAN EAGER TO EXTEND RAFAEL LEAO DEAL

    Milan have put forward an offer to tie down Manchester City and Chelsea target Rafael Leao on a new contract, reports Calciomercato.

    The report claims that the Rossoneri are willing to increase his salary beyond the €2million he currently receives, up to €6.5m, as they look to fend off rival interest.

    Milan understand that it may be difficult to convince the Portuguese to stay at the San Siro, although he is contracted until 2024.


    ROUND-UP 

    Barcelona will cut their losses with Antoine Griezmann on a deal to sell him back to Atletico Madrid, according to Mundo Deportivo. The initial agreement included a purchase clause of €35-40m but Atletico have avoided triggering that, creating a stand-off. The Blaugrana are now prepared to lower their asking price with Atletico set to offer €25m in January.

    – The Mirror claims Atletico are considering a move to sign Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez as Jan Oblak's successor, with the Slovenian out of contract at the end of this season.

    – The race for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham's signature continues, with The Sun claiming Manchester City are confident they will beat Liverpool and Manchester United to him. It is understood Dortmund are willing to sell the 19-year-old for £83m.

    – Manchester United are weighing up whether to move to extend goalkeeper David de Gea's contract another year, reports the Sunday Telegraph. The Spaniard is out of contract at the end of this season.

  • We’ll know where we stand' - New Reggae Boyz coach Hallgrímsson hopes to use Argentina friendly for assessment We’ll know where we stand' - New Reggae Boyz coach Hallgrímsson hopes to use Argentina friendly for assessment

    Newly appointed Jamaica Reggae Boyz head coach Heimir Hallgrímsson is hoping to conduct a valuable assessment during the team’s upcoming friendly international against Argentina.

    The Reggae Boyz and the Albiceleste, led by football superstar Lionel Messi, will lock horns at the Red Bulls Stadium in New York, on Tuesday, for the fourth time in history.  Hallgrímsson, who officially took charge of the team last week, admits the former world champions are a difficult prospect to face on his debut but hopes to gleam some valuable insights.

    “It going to be a good contest and at least we’ll know where we stand and what we need to improve," Hallgrímsson said.

    “For me, it’s a time to learn, a time to observe, time to evaluate.  Then after this camp, we can see what we need to change if we need to change anything.  Find out what is working and what is not working.”

    In three matches Jamaica has not managed to secure a result against Argentina losing all three matches that the teams have played.

     

  • Thompson to replace injured Leigh in Reggae Boyz squad to face Argentina Thompson to replace injured Leigh in Reggae Boyz squad to face Argentina

    Waterhouse defender Ricardo Thomas has been drafted in to replace injured Ipswich Town defender Greg Leigh ahead of Jamaica’s friendly international against Argentina.

    Leigh was expected to join up with the rest of the team in the United States on Friday but suffered an injury in the team’s 2-2 draw against Sheffield Wednesday earlier this week.  Initially, the defender was thought to have just suffered a bruise to the area but subsequent scans revealed a compression fracture.

    The injury is now expected to keep the player out of action for an extended spell.

    “He, unfortunately, picked something up at the back end of the Sheffield Wednesday game, which was initially thought to be bone bruising,” the team’s manager Kieran McKenna said.

    “At that point, it was touch-and-go whether he was going to go away for international duty.

     “He’s had some scans this week, just to make sure, and unfortunately he has a compression fracture of his leg and will be out for a longer period of time. That’s a disappointing one for Greg and for us as well," he added.

    The 29-year-old has made 8 appearances for the Jamaica national team and last played against Honduras in March.  Thomas has played 10 matches for the national team and was last on the bench in the team’s Nation’s League match against Mexico in June.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.