EPL

FA bans Liverpool and Newcastle staff following Anfield clash

By Sports Desk September 15, 2022

Liverpool and Newcastle United have seen members of their backroom teams issued with touchline bans following an altercation at the end of last month's Premier League meeting at Anfield.

Newcastle came close to taking a point from their trip to Liverpool on August 31, only for Fabio Carvalho to score a 98th-minute winner, sparking a touchline fracas.

At the end of a highly charged affair, Newcastle sports scientist Daniel Hodges appeared to throw a bottle into the Liverpool technical area, prompting the Football Association (FA) to investigate.

The FA subsequently brought charges against both Hodges and Liverpool goalkeeping coach John Achterberg, and it has now been confirmed the men will serve one-match touchline bans.

A statement released on Thursday said: "Coaches from Liverpool FC and Newcastle United FC have been banned, fined and warned for breaching FA Rule E3 during their Premier League game on Wednesday 31 August 2022.

"John Achterberg and Daniel Hodges both admitted that their behaviour during the 98th minute was improper, and the Liverpool FC coach also accepted that he used abusive and insulting gestures. 

"An independent Regulatory Commission has fined the Liverpool FC and Newcastle United FC coaches £7,000 and £6,000 respectively, banned them from the touchline for one fixture, and warned them as to their future conduct."

Related items

  • We need to react now – Wataru Endo seeking swift response to Liverpool setbacks We need to react now – Wataru Endo seeking swift response to Liverpool setbacks

    Wataru Endo says Liverpool need an immediate reaction to a pair of disappointing results that have damaged Jurgen Klopp’s hopes of making a triumphant farewell.

    Last weekend’s 2-2 draw at rivals Manchester United dented the Reds’ Premier League title bid as an intense three-way tussle for the crown continues.

    Worse was to follow on Thursday night as Liverpool collapsed 3-0 at home to Atalanta in a shock Europa League quarter-final first-leg defeat.

    Klopp’s men face an almighty challenge to turn things around in Italy next week, but first comes Sunday’s Anfield encounter Crystal Palace in the Premier League.

    “It’s tough,” midfielder Endo said after the shock Atalanta result. “I think they did very well offensively and defensively, they had good tactics and they played well so we need to work hard.

    “But we have one more game before we play Atalanta next and we need to react now. It is always about how we react, it is about the results.

    “Another game is coming so it is just about getting ready for that and we need to step it up to try and win.

    “It is always a tough opponent but we play at Anfield again, so we have to start strongly and offensively we have to make it better. Better than the last few games, yes.

    “I am glad the game is coming this quickly because we have a chance to win again quickly so we just get ready and we want to win the game.”

    Endo says the Reds must move forward with positivity, which should be made easier by the fact key players are returning for the run-in.

    Diogo Jota came on for his first appearance in two months on Thursday, when Trent Alexander-Arnold and Stefan Bajcetic were unused substitutes.

    Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker is also back in training and Endo said: “It is a positive that almost everyone is coming back to play.

    “I think we are fine and we will stick together and try and win the next game.”

  • Boreham Wood boost survival bid with win at Aldershot Boreham Wood boost survival bid with win at Aldershot

    Boreham Wood gave their National League survival hopes a major boost as they made it back-to-back wins by beating Aldershot 3-0 on the road.

    Lee Ndlovu and Erico Sousa’s penalty put the Wood in control at the interval and Kabongo Tshimanga added a third goal in the second half to lift them to within two points of 20th-placed Ebbsfleet with two games remaining.

    The visitors, who halted a six-game losing run last week with victory over Wealdstone, went ahead in the 10th minute when Ndlovu drove into the box and fired home a low finish.

    Sousa converted from the spot after Shots midfielder Ryan Glover had tripped David Agbontohoma and Tshimanga applied a neat finish in the 67th minute after running on to a ball over the top.

    Aldershot had their chances, Josh Stokes and Jack Barham were denied by superb Nathan Ashmore saves, but their faltering play-off hopes suffered another setback as their winless run extended to six matches.

  • Ryan Reynolds hails ‘ride of our lives’ as Wrexham claim successive promotions Ryan Reynolds hails ‘ride of our lives’ as Wrexham claim successive promotions

    Wrexham’s Hollywood star owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney revelled in the club’s second successive promotion as a thumping 6-0 win over Forest Green sealed their place in League One next season.

    Joyous fans poured on to the pitch to celebrate at the end of a dominant display at the Racecourse Ground

    The hosts led 4-0 at half-time thank to two goals from Paul Mullin, one from Elliot Lee and a Ryan Inniss own goal.

    Ryan Barnett and Jack Marriott completed a memorable day for the Dragons with strikes in the second half.

    Deadpool star Reynolds said on X: “A few years ago, if you told me I would be crying tears of joy over a football match taking place in north Wales, you would be Rob McElhenney. Congrats to Wrexham and to my co-chairman in crime. Double up the town! This is the ride of our lives.”

    McElhenney wrote simply: “No words.”

    The pair’s takeover of the club in February 2021 has contributed to worldwide attention for the team.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.