Tokyo Olympics: Russian makes Olympic history as Ragan defeat means USA wait goes on

By Sports Desk August 05, 2021

Duke Ragan missed out on ending the USA's 17-year gold drought in men's boxing as Albert Batyrgaziev became the first professional to triumph in the Olympic ring.

The wait for a Games gold for the United States men continued on Thursday as a split decision went against Ragan in the featherweight final at the Kokugikan Arena, in a battle of two fighters who have recently left the amateur ranks behind.

Ragan edged it 29-28 on the scorecards of two judges, but it went against him by the same margin with two others, and a fifth, from Indonesia, scored it 30-27 in favour of Russian Olympic Committee fighter Batyrgaziev.

Their next meeting could be in a paid contest, given both are making their way in the professional game, and each man said the idea held plenty of appeal.

"That would be an additional motivation, to meet again as two professionals with my opponent in this final," Batyrgaziev said.

Ragan agreed, saying: "If that was to happen I really look forward to getting revenge and stuff like that, especially me and him, both being in the final of this Olympics.

"It would be a big headline and I'm pretty sure that everyone that tuned into the Olympics would want to see that again, especially on a bigger level."

Dagestan-born Batyrgaziev said of his gold: "This has been my dream since I started training for boxing when I was a child. This has made all the hard work and effort and the discipline I've shown since worth it. It has paid off.

"I am proud of my home. It deserves to be the home of an Olympic champion and I'll take the gold medal home to my people as I promised them."

Ragan regretted being unable to be the man to break the US gold drought, with no men's champion since Andre Ward's success at the Athens Olympics, but said silver still gave him some pleasure.

"Coming from the USA, I was the first professional boxer to compete in the Olympics. I take that and run with it. It was a blessing to be here," he said.

"I'm glad that I was a professional. A little bit more experience even though I didn't get the gold, but it's all good.

"I'm happy to be going home with the silver medal. It's not a happy ending for me but I'll take the silver medal over not getting on the podium at all."

 

FORMER 'SKIVVY' YAFAI REACHES GOLD FIGHT

Britain's Galal Yafai battled through to the men's flyweight final and explained how he has gone from a "skivvy" job to living out his dream.

Yafai earned a majority verdict over Saken Bibossinov of Kazakhstan, taking the verdict on three of the five judges' cards, and will face Carlo Paalam of the Philippines for gold on Saturday.

"It's the Olympic gold isn't it, man? Olympic gold is crazy. Just imagine being the Olympic champion," Yafai said.

"It's something I've dreamed about, but could never see happening. To be in an Olympic final, that's something I never thought I could do. Now I'm in it, it just goes to show that if you put in the hard work you reap the rewards."

The 28-year-old explained how he previously worked in a car factory in the English town of Solihull, near Birmingham, and reflected on how far he has come since those days.

"I was grafting, picking up boxes, dreaming of being at an Olympic Games," Yafai said. "I got to Rio [for the 2016 Olympics] a year later where it didn't work out for me. I've waited five years and it's paid off.

"I was doing the rubbish, picking up boxes, delivering parts. Just a skivvy job really. But now I'm on the verge of becoming Olympic champion.

"I hated working there, I'm not going to lie. I'd wanted to be a boxer for years, as I hate being told what to do. Now I'm my own boss and hopefully I can be the Olympic champion."

Related items

  • Jake Paul 'still doubts' whether Tommy Fury fight will go ahead Jake Paul 'still doubts' whether Tommy Fury fight will go ahead

    Jake Paul "definitely still doubts" whether his planned bout with Tommy Fury next month will go ahead.

    It was announced last week that YouTube sensation Paul and reality television personality Fury will meet in Saudi Arabia on February 26.

    They came face-to-face on Saturday during the uncared for the Anthony Yarde versus Artur Beterbiev bout, with security having to step in.

    However, after previous fights between the pair scheduled for December 2021 and August last year were called off, Paul is wary of his opponent withdrawing once again.

    "A part of me definitely still doubts," Paul is quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

    "It's scary and it's annoying, and the kid's not necessarily reliable but the money's good, for him, so he would be just so dumb [not to go ahead with the fight]."

    Paul confirmed MMA fighter Mike Perry, who left UFC two years ago, has been placed on standby to fill in should Fury pull out.

    The 26-year-old's move to boxing from the social media world has drawn plenty of criticism, but Fury would be the first professional boxer he has faced in a six-fight career to date.

    "I'm validated. I've done everything I needed to do in this sport for me personally," Paul said. 

    "I've proved everything to myself but it will be nice to take on a professional boxer, one with a big name, a tonne of credibility.

    "He's been fighting since he was 10, 11 years old and I've only been doing this for three years.

    "It's another stepping stone because I want to become world champion. I want to and I will. I'm capable of it and no one's believed in me.

    "When I said that four fights ago people laughed, they don't want to believe that's possible because of my background.

    "But I believe anything is possible if you set your mind to it and dedicate your whole entire life and have a little bit of natural talent, which I happen to have."

  • Fury 'in limbo' as he awaits Usyk fight announcement Fury 'in limbo' as he awaits Usyk fight announcement

    Tyson Fury is eagerly awaiting his return to the ring as an undisputed heavyweight clash with Oleksandr Usyk edges closer.

    Victory for Fury against Derek Chisora in December opened the door for the British boxer and Ukrainian star Usyk to finally go head to head.

    While yet to be officially confirmed, it is widely expected a bout will be scheduled in the coming months, though Fury could offer no further updates on the matter when he spoke on Saturday, saying he was in the same boat as his fans.

    "I'm fantastic. I've had a good Christmas and New Year. I've been training, and we're just waiting on an announcement," Fury told Sky Sports.

    "I'm in limbo like the rest of the world. I'm not interested in who, what, where or when. I just want to fight and that's it."

    Earlier on Saturday, Fury's co-promoter Bob Arum announced he expects a venue for the undisputed clash to be decided in the next week.

    "I think both of the fighters have agreed to the fight, I think the question is where the site will be," Arum said. "That will be sorted out hopefully next week and we'll have an announcement shortly.

    "If the fight goes to the Middle East it will be sometime after Ramadan, and if the fight is in the UK it will be the beginning of April."

    Before the Gypsy King returns to the ring, half-brother Tommy Fury will face off against Jake Paul next month in Saudi Arabia in a fierce grudge match.

    While Paul splits opinion, and his move to boxing from the social media world has drawn plenty of criticism, Tyson Fury warned his younger sibling that he will face a capable opponent.

    "I think he's a decent boxer. A lot of people think he's just a YouTube person who doesn't know how to box, but I've actually seen him training and I've actually seen his fights and I think he's decent," Tyson Fury said.

    "He's like a novice professional. He's only had six fights so he's exactly as good as he should be at this stage. He's not an Olympic boxer, but then again neither am I."

  • IOC opens door to Russian and Belarusian athletes at Paris 2024 amid war in Ukraine IOC opens door to Russian and Belarusian athletes at Paris 2024 amid war in Ukraine

    The International Olympic Committee is considering whether to include Russian and Belarusian athletes under a neutral flag at Paris 2024.

    The two nations are currently banned following the IOC calling on federations to exclude them amid the former's invasion of Ukraine last year.

    On Wednesday, the IOC confirmed they intend to uphold sanctions against state and government officials ahead of next year's games.

    But in a statement, they acknowledged they would explore opportunities for athletes from both nations to compete in France.

    "No athlete should be prevented from competing just because of their passport," the organisation's executive board said.

    "[They would be] neutral athletes and in no way represent their state or any other organisation in their country.

    “No flag, anthem, colours or any other identifications whatsoever of these countries being displayed at any sports event or meeting, including the entire venue."

    The move has been met with criticism however, and comes just weeks after Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelensky called for athletes to remain barred.

    A joint statement from Athletes for Ukraine and athlete association Global Athlete argued any decision to relax sanctions would endorse the war in Ukraine.

    "The return of Russian and Belarusian athletes to international competition, especially the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, will see the Russian state use athletes once more to bolster the war effort," they said.

    "[This will] distract from the atrocities in Ukraine on one of the biggest multi-sport stages in the world."

    Russian athletes competed under the flag of the Russian Olympic Committee at Tokyo 2020 after the nation was officially banned following multiple doping scandals.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.