Springboks World Cup winner Nkosi found 'safe and sound'

By Sports Desk December 05, 2022

South Africa winger Sbu Nkosi has been found "safe and sound" after being reported as missing last week.

Nkosi's club the Bulls revealed on Sunday there was "grave worry" for the 2019 World Cup winner after he had been absent without leave for three weeks.

The Pretoria-based club opened a missing person case with the police, but on Monday revealed good news on the 26-year-old.

A Bulls statement said: "The Blue Bulls Company and the Bulls family are happy to confirm that contracted player, Sbu Nkosi, has been found safe and sound.

"After lengthy and extensive efforts from the Vodacom Bulls, in collaboration with SSG – who have gone beyond their commercial responsibility – at 14:02pm on Monday 05 December 2022, Nkosi was located.

"Once it was established that Nkosi was safe, unharmed and in a position to speak, chief executive Edgar Rathbone went into Nkosi's home (with the permission of the player), spending alone time with him, to understand how best the company can provide him with the support he needs and what that support is.

"As the Bulls family, we are thrilled that Nkosi is safe.

"We wish to extend a vote of thanks to all the members of the public who shared information that contributed to our search. We wish to also express a word of thanks to the international community who also joined the call and efforts in searching for Nkosi.

"At this present moment, we cannot give further comments on the matter."

Related items

  • Six Nations: England 'weren't good at anything' under Jones, claims Borthwick after Scotland loss Six Nations: England 'weren't good at anything' under Jones, claims Borthwick after Scotland loss

    Steve Borthwick claims the England team he inherited from Eddie Jones "weren’t good at anything" but says he has seen progress despite defeat to Scotland.

    The former Leicester Tigers boss saw his side lose the first game of his tenure in their Six Nations opener, as they were beaten 29-23 at Twickenham.

    In a World Cup year, it marked another damning result for England's prospects, with their dismal run during 2022 contributing to the exit of long-term boss Jones.

    But now Borthwick, who worked as the Australian's assistant before leaving for Leicester, has given a withering appraisal of the squad left behind by him amid the Scotland post-mortem.

    "I've been frank from day one in saying there's a lot of work to do," he told the Guardian. "When I looked at the team in the autumn, when I measured the team and got all the data for the team, we weren't good at anything.

    "It was as frank as that. My job is to make sure we get some improvements next week. I have asked the players to play a new way.

    "One thing I have got to do here is get the players to believe in themselves, and get the players to bring their strengths to the pitch.

    "[I have to] get them to play to the best of themselves, which I don't think we have seen them do for a while. I think you saw an improvement in that regard."

    England held a 20-12 lead at one point in London, before a collapse allowed Scotland to sweep to a historic victory against their rivals.

    Having brought respected assistant Kevin Sinfield from Leicester to oversee defence, the soft nature of his side's concessions is a sticking point for Borthwick.

    With that in mind, however, he felt the team showed spirit to their concessions, adding: "I'd seen a habit with the team of conceding points early and not being able to respond to it.

    "We conceded points [against Scotland] and the biggest thing I was looking at was the response. I thought the response was magnificent."

  • Six Nations: Edwards warns France face Ireland 'hiding' if they don't raise their game Six Nations: Edwards warns France face Ireland 'hiding' if they don't raise their game

    Shaun Edwards warned France will be in for a "hiding" against Ireland in the Six Nations next weekend if they fail to raise their game after clinging on to beat Italy 29-24.

    The defending champions needed a Matthieu Jalibert try with 14 minutes to play at Stadio Olimpico on Sunday to start the defence of their title with a bonus-point win.

    First-half tries from Thibaud Flament, Thomas Ramos and debutant Ethan Dumortier put the holders well on course for victory, but an Ange Capuozzo score and three Tommaso Allan penalties meant they only led 19-14 at the break.

    A penalty try that also resulted in Charles Ollivon being sent to the sin-bin and another three points for Allan sensationally put the resurgent Azzurri in front with just under 20 minutes to play.

    France were able to extend their winning run to 14 matches courtesy of Jalibert's finish, but they had to withstand late pressure and Allan missed a kick at goal as Italy fell just short of claiming a famous victory.

    Les Bleus face Ireland, the world's top-ranked side, at the Aviva Stadium next Saturday and defence coach Edwards says their winning streak will come to a juddering halt if they fail to improve on their display in Rome.

    He told ITV Sport: "First half, we were quite dominant. They came on leaps and bounds in the second half and obviously at the end it was a very tight affair, but we are in a good habit of winning tight games at the moment.

    "It happened against Australia, against South Africa, it's happened in a few games.

    "Hopefully we can continue that habit, but I think we all know if we don't put up a better performance next week we'll be on the end of a 15-30 point hiding."

    Indisciplined France conceded 18 penalties, although Edwards suggested the count should not have been so high.

    "Certainly against the defence it's something I will be looking at this week and I'll be honest, I've been in the game for 20 years and that's the most penalties I've ever had against the defence.

    "It's something we pride ourselves on with the French team in particular and all the way through with Wales, Wasps, etc. We'll have to go through it in detail with the referees, because it's the first time my defence has been penalised so much."

  • Allan confident Italy will rally from narrow Six Nations defeat to France Allan confident Italy will rally from narrow Six Nations defeat to France

    Italy gifted too many easy points to France in their Six Nations opener, but Tommaso Allan believes his side can rally from their 29-24 loss.

    The Azzurri fell short of a famous victory in Rome against the reigning champions after Matthieu Jalibert's late try saw Les Bleus scrape the win.

    Having been the competition's regular whipping boys for many years, Italy showed further signs of progress under coach Kieran Crowley in the narrow loss.

    Allan acknowledged it was a difficult result to take after leading late in proceedings, but stressed there will be more improvement to come.

    "It's quite tough to swallow this defeat," he told ITV. "We had our chances. In the first half, we [made] too many errors.

    "We gave 19 points to the French off our mistakes. We have to find our balance of execution. We will be more diligent the more we do.

    "There are a lot of positives to take from this. We are very confident for next week's game. It's small margins."

    Allan missed a penalty with six minutes to go which would have trimmed the gap to just two points in the closing stages.

    The fly-half acknowledged a successful effort there would have changed the complexion of the game and tasked himself to deliver going forward.

    "I need to make those kicks," he added. "Next time, we can kick to win as well. We're improving every week.

    "We have to start winning as well now. We know we can win. We showed some good rugby."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.