Final State of Origin match moved to Gold Coast due to COVID restrictions

By Sports Desk July 10, 2021

The NRL has moved the final match of the State of Origin series to the Gold Coast due to coronavirus restrictions in Newcastle.

It means New South Wales Blues – who lead the series 2-0 after rampant victories in the opening two games – have the chance to win three State of Origin matches in Queensland to complete what would be an unprecedented clean sweep.

Game one of the series was scheduled to be played in Melbourne, only for COVID-19 restrictions to force a switch to Townsville.

While game two took place as planned in Brisbane, game three – which is next week – was moved from Sydney's Stadium Australia to Newcastle's McDonald Jones Stadium.

However, with Sydney and the surrounding areas in lockdown, New South Wales' regional government advised that a major event with a crowd would not feasible. 

Gold Coast has been selected as a low-risk option, with both teams located close to the Cbus Stadium, which will be able to welcome a capacity crowd of around 27,000.

Though it means all three matches will have been held in Queensland, Blues coach Brad Fittler is unfazed.

"It's disappointing that we can't play at Newcastle and play in front of a NSW crowd," Fittler said. "But we will play anywhere, anytime."

The Blues thrashed the Maroons 50-6 in game one, before winning game two 26-0.

Related items

  • Kyrgios demands respect for Djokovic as 'bromance' blossoms before Australian Open Kyrgios demands respect for Djokovic as 'bromance' blossoms before Australian Open

    Nick Kyrgios believes only "a clown" would give Novak Djokovic a hard time at the Australian Open as the Serbian chases a major slice of tennis history.

    It was Kyrgios who prominently came to Djokovic's defence when the nine-time champion at Melbourne Park was detained in an immigration facility and then deported ahead of last year's Australian Open due to his COVID-19 vaccination status.

    The previously testy relationship between the pair has become increasingly friendly, to the point they will meet in a practice match at Rod Laver Arena on Friday, ahead of the season's first grand slam. That match sold out in a flash, reflecting the popularity of both men.

    Kyrgios described their growing closeness as a "bromance" at Wimbledon last year, although Djokovic laughed off that label.

    Djokovic, who has refused to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, will have many on his side over the coming fortnight as he chases a 10th grand slam in Australia and a 22nd overall, which would match Rafael Nadal's men's singles record.

    Tournament director Craig Tiley has said anyone that boos Djokovic would risk being thrown out, while Kyrgios called for "respect" to be shown to the 35-year-old superstar.

    Kyrgios described Djokovic as "the best that we've got", adding: "I would say, Novak's here and he hasn't made any rules. He's abided by them for the last two years or whatever.

    "He's here and all he wants to do is put on a show. He's chasing things that athletes rarely are able to chase. He's one of the greatest athletes of all time, not just in the tennis court.

    "I think as fans we should be appreciating that. I know there's going to be fans who are not wanting him to win, but I think they can't cross that line as fans.

    "You guys have paid money to watch a guy play, it's a bit contradictory if you're going to go there and be a clown about it.

    "You've got to respect him a little bit at the end of the day because he's one of the best who's ever done it."

    Kyrgios has a 2-1 record against Djokovic, though both of his wins came back in 2017 and Djokovic won in four sets in their last meeting: the 2022 Wimbledon final.

    Should they both win through the early rounds in the season's first grand slam, the draw is such that they could go head to head again in the quarter-finals.

    Already, Kyrgios is talking about possibly abandoning doubles duty with Thanasi Kokkinakis in order to focus on singles.

    He and Kokkinakis took the doubles title last year, but Kyrgios said on Thursday: "We're singles players at heart and the doubles grand slam last year was a flash in the pan.

    "We haven't had one conversation about doubles yet. If we play, we play; if we don't, we don't."

  • Djokovic to face Kyrgios in pre-Australian Open exhibition Djokovic to face Kyrgios in pre-Australian Open exhibition

    Novak Djokovic will face Nick Kyrgios in a practice match ahead of the Australian Open.

    Djokovic marked his return to Australia by beating Sebastian Korda to win his 92nd Tour-level title on Sunday in Adelaide.

    Kyrgios, meanwhile, did not feature in the inaugural United Cup for Australia after withdrawing due to injury.

    They will now meet in a practice match at Rod Laver Arena on Friday, ahead of the season's first grand slam.

    Ticket proceeds will go to the Australian Tennis Foundation.

    The duo have had a turbulent relationship in the past, though last year appeared to be on better terms.

    Kyrgios came to Djokovic's defence when the Serbian was denied entry to Australia and subsequently deported ahead of the 2022 Australian Open due to his COVID-19 vaccination status.

    Australia's policy on non-vaccinated individuals entering the country has now changed, and Djokovic had his three-year suspension from the nation revoked, allowing him to compete in Melbourne this year.

    Krygios has a 2-1 record against Djokovic, though both of his wins came back in 2017.

    They last met in the final of Wimbledon last year, with Djokovic coming out on top 4-6 6-3 6-4 7-6 (7-3).

  • Bayern could leave goalkeeper decision until deadline day as Sommer emerges as target Bayern could leave goalkeeper decision until deadline day as Sommer emerges as target

    Bayern Munich ruled out rushing through a deal for a new goalkeeper as Yann Sommer emerged as a prime target to replace the injured Manuel Neuer.

    The 34-year-old Sommer has a contract with Borussia Monchengladbach that runs to the end of this season.

    Bayern are weighing up a bid before the January transfer window closes, but they are away in Doha at a training camp for now, so nothing appears imminent.

    Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic spoke at a press conference in the Qatari city on Saturday, where he said efforts were under way to resolve the problem that arose when Neuer suffered a broken leg on a post-World Cup skiing holiday.

    Having confirmed Bayern's interest in Switzerland international Sommer on Friday, Salihamidzic has now stressed a deal is not yet in place.

    "As I said yesterday, I don't like to talk about other clubs' players," said the former Bayern defender. "The topic of the goalkeeper is of course one where we're thinking about it, but we're working on everything.

    "Of course, Manuel's injury is a big blow for us. We're going to continue our work, check options, and then make a decision.

    "We have until January 31 and until then we'll either do something or not."

    The prospect of the goalkeeper issue going to the wire still appears unlikely, given Bayern resume their Bundesliga campaign on January 20 after the extended winter break.

    Coach Julian Nagelsmann would ideally want the situation resolved by then, with there being seemingly little prospect of Alexander Nubel returning from his loan at Monaco.

    Nubel has indicated a reluctance to come back, having become a regular in the Monaco team, and Salihamidzic says Bayern are aware of his stance.

    "We have had very good communication between us, him and his management. We know exactly what the situation is," said the sporting director.

    Bayern will be without defender Noussair Mazraoui for several weeks after announcing on Friday that medical tests had showed up an inflammation issue relating to his heart.

    The Morocco international tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Cup, before recovering in time to face France in the semi-finals.

    Subsequent tests have shown Mazraoui has a mild inflammation of the pericardium, which is the fluid-filled fibrous sac surrounding the heart.

    Salihamidzic said it was unclear whether Mazraoui had been brought back too soon by Morocco.

    "It's hard to tell if it was too early or not. He talked to [Morocco] medical staff, he talked to our medical staff, and he had tests. The tests were okay," Salihamidzic said.

    "We don't know how it is with post-COVID. It's quite a blow for us that we have to be without him now.

    "We'll talk about why this has happened to us. He's an important player for us, so we'll have to try to replace him.

    "Of course he will be able to take all the time that he needs to recover. We'll have a test every week and see how he feels from week to week, but for now we're without him."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.