Smith to Titans? Meninga dismisses Gold Coast speculation

By Sports Desk February 17, 2021

Melbourne Storm great Cameron Smith will not play for Gold Coast Titans in the 2021 NRL season, according to Mal Meninga.

It remains to seen what the future holds for Smith, who is yet to publicly confirm his plans after guiding the Storm to premiership last year.

Out of contract following 18 years in Melbourne, Smith reportedly relocated to Queensland at the end of the season and the 37-year-old has been linked with the Titans as well as Brisbane Broncos.

With speculation mounting over Smith's status, his former State of Origin and Australia head coach Meninga – now head of performance and culture with the Titans – insisted the ex-Kangaroos skipper will not be moving to Gold Coast.

"I've not talked to Cameron. He's the hardest bloke to get hold of in the world," said Meninga.

"I've not spoken to him – not has anyone from the club.

"Everyone assumes he's coming to the Titans. I haven't talked to him, he's not on the radar.

"You should ask Kevvie [Broncos head coach Kevin Walters] about Cameron so I don't have to answer these questions anymore."

Broncos coach Walters could be an interested party were Smith to delay his retirement plans, but Meninga rubbished reports that emerged last week linking him with the Titans.

Meninga told the Courier Mail: "I don't have any idea what Cam is doing. I don't know if he's retiring.

"I'm in the dark like everyone else. But I know he won't be at the Titans."

Related items

  • Duhaney Park Firestorms win JRLA Division II crown, Director Monteith expresses delight at the return of competition. Duhaney Park Firestorms win JRLA Division II crown, Director Monteith expresses delight at the return of competition.

    Duhaney Park Firestorms defeated Washingston Boulevard Bulls 33-22 to claim the Jamaica Rugby League Division II crown on Saturday, January 28 at the UWI Mona bowl.

    Six players - Kenneth Walker, Chevaughn Carter, Adrian Thomas, Owen Linton, Akeem Murray, and Jenson Morris scored tries for the champions.

    Javian Bryan kicked three goals and Joseph Shae added another, while Chevaughn Bailey also contributed with a drop goal.

    The Bulls, early leaders in the contest, scored four tries via Anthoney Findlay, Karllone Batten, and Julius Reid.

     Lawrence Drummond added another plus kicked a conversion while Oshane Eddie closed out their account with four points from two goals.

    In the playoff for third place, the West Kington Hyenas narrowly defeated the CMU Spartans 24-18.

    JRLA Director of Rugby Romeo Monteith said expressed relief and delight that the competition was able to resume following a two-year pandemic enforced hiatus.

    “We weren’t sure how the teams would react to the competition’s relaunch, but it has been brilliant,” he said.

    “We have lots of players new to the game involved, playing alongside veterans willing to show them the way. The season was extremely competitive, and we had a few upsets along the way that made it very interesting. It’s a good platform senior men’s rugby league to build on for 2023.”

  • Cameron Smith claims golf rankings 'obsolete' as Open winner heads into Saudi event Cameron Smith claims golf rankings 'obsolete' as Open winner heads into Saudi event

    Open champion Cameron Smith claims golf's world rankings are becoming "obsolete" due to there being no points awarded for LIV Golf tournaments.

    The Australian spoke out ahead of this week's Saudi International, an Asian Tour event that was getting under way on Thursday, saying it hurt him that his prospects of getting to number one had been dealt a blow.

    Smith is among a host of major winners and star names who have defected from the PGA Tour and DP World Tour to the controversial LIV Golf tour, a lucrative Saudi-backed series that critics claim was launched in an effort to 'sportswash' the Middle East country's reputation.

    For 29-year-old Smith, who won the Chicago leg of the LIV series last September, the limitations of where he can collect ranking points is a setback. He has been as high as number two but is now fourth on the rankings list, which is led by Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy.

    McIlroy has been as vociferous an opponent of LIV Golf as any player and is not playing this week in Saudi Arabia, where a host of top names, many of them from LIV Golf, are in the field and ranking points are available.

    Smith said of the rankings situation: "I've tried to take it not that badly. When you rock up to a tournament, you know who you have to beat, whether there's a world ranking or not. There's generally seven or eight guys that are in that field that you know are going to put up a pretty good fight.

    "For sure it hurts. I feel as though I was really close to getting to number one, and that was definitely something I wanted to tick off, but the longer that this stuff goes on, I think the more obsolete those rankings become.

    "That's just the long and short of it, I think. Do we need them? It would be nice, but like I said, you know who you've got to beat when you get on the golf course."

    LIV Golf is hoping it will be able to award ranking points in future.

    Smith said he had enjoyed parading the Open Championship's Claret Jug while at home during the off-season.

    "I took it back down to Australia, took it to my home club," he said. "They actually had a trophy night, kind of the day that I got back down there, so I took it to the trophy night.

    "It was a little bit hectic. It's a pretty cool trophy. I'd describe it as like seeing a ghost, I think, for the most part, the look that it brings to their face and the feeling that it gives them is pretty special.

    "I've taken it everywhere with me. Just about had every liquid you can put in there I've tried to put in it. But it's been awesome. It's been fun over Christmas; the family drinking out of it was something I'll never forget."

  • Masters allows LIV Golf players to enter 2023 tournament Masters allows LIV Golf players to enter 2023 tournament

    LIV Golf players will be able to play in the 2023 Masters provided they meet the tournament's existing entry criteria.

    Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, Bubba Watson, Patrick Reed and Charl Schwartzel joined the controversial Saudi Arabia-backed breakaway LIV Golf series this year, but will be eligible to compete at Augusta next April due to being former Masters champions.

    Cameron Smith has been invited to play due to his Open triumph this year, while Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka can also tee off in Georgia as a result of their major successes.

    Augusta National Golf Club Fred Ridley said in a statement: "From its inception in 1934, the purpose of the Masters Tournament has been to benefit the game of golf.

    "Each April, the Masters assembles the world’s leading golfers to compete for the Green Jacket and a place in history.

    "Regrettably, recent actions have divided men’s professional golf by diminishing the virtues of the game and the meaningful legacies of those who built it.

    "Although we are disappointed in these developments, our focus is to honour the tradition of bringing together a pre-eminent field of golfers this coming April.

    "Therefore, as invitations are sent this week, we will invite those eligible under our current criteria to compete in the 2023 Masters Tournament.

    "We have reached a seminal point in the history of our sport. At Augusta National, we have faith that golf, which has overcome many challenges through the years, will endure again."

    Mickelson did not play in the Masters this year as he took time out from the sport after coming in for huge criticism over comments he made about Saudi Arabia's human rights record before joining LIV Golf.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.