ATP

Alcaraz follows Nadal in withdrawing from Monte Carlo Masters

By Sports Desk April 04, 2023

Carlos Alcaraz is the latest to confirm he will not be competing at the Monte Carlo Masters.

The world number two already has two titles to his name in 2023 but lost the final of the Miami Open to Jannik Sinner.

Alcaraz was set to compete in Monte Carlo when the clay court season begins next week but has joined compatriot Rafael Nadal in withdrawing due to injury.

Posting on Twitter, he said: "After two months abroad, I am happy to return home but sad because I finished my last match in Miami with physical discomfort.

"After visiting my doctor in Murcia today and being evaluated, I will not be able to go to Monte Carlo to start the clay court tour.

"I have post-traumatic arthritis in my left hand and muscular discomfort in the spine that needs rest to prepare for everything that is to come."

Alcaraz's defeat to Sinner in Miami saw him cede top-spot in the ATP world rankings to Novak Djokovic, having returned to the summit in March.

The Spaniard was previously ranked number one from September 2022 until January 30, 2023.

Related items

  • Djokovic marches into French Open third round after dominant straight-sets win Djokovic marches into French Open third round after dominant straight-sets win

    Novak Djokovic eased through to the French Open third round following another straight-sets victory over Roberto Carballes Baena at Roland-Garros.

    The reigning champion, who is seeking a record-breaking 25th grand slam singles title, took just over two hours to wrap up a 6-4 6-1 6-2 win and set up a showdown with either Gael Monfils or Lorenzo Musetti in round three.

    Not since the 2017 Australian Open has Djokovic failed to progress beyond the second round at a major.

    It looked like the Serb would be in for a tough battle as Carballes Baena broke in the opening game, though he did respond immediately before the first set appeared finely poised at 4-4 and deuce.

    Djokovic subsequently drew first blood, and it was very much one-way traffic thereon.

    Indeed, from 4-4 in that first set, the world number one won 14 of the next 17 games to sail into the last 32.

    Data Debrief: Djokovic surpasses Nadal at Roland-Garros

    The undisputed 'King of Clay', Nadal's record of 14 French Open titles looks highly unlikely to be under any severe threat in the near future.

    However, Djokovic has surpassed the Spaniard by reaching round three at Roland-Garros for a 19th time in his 20 appearances - the most appearances by any player during the Open Era.

    The Serb also notched up his 94th match win at the French Open. That is his joint-most at a single ATP event in his career, matching is tally at the Australian Open, where he is a 10-time champion.

  • French Open impose alcohol ban after crowd issues at Roland-Garros French Open impose alcohol ban after crowd issues at Roland-Garros

    French Open spectators will no longer be able to consume alcohol from the stands, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo has revealed.

    The move has been made in a bid to end unruly behaviour within the crowd following a couple of incidents at Roland-Garros this week.

    Reigning women's champion Iga Swiatek pleaded for supporters to keep quiet during points after her second-round victory over Naomi Osaka, while David Goffin had chewing gum spat at him in his win over Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard.

    While alcohol will still be available on the concourses, Mauresmo says there will be tougher security measures in place to identify offenders, while umpires are encouraged to be stricter when calling for respect "to the players and to the game".

    "First of all, we are happy people are very enthusiastic about watching tennis and being part of the matches, showing feeling and emotions," the tournament director said.

    "But there are definitely steps which shouldn't go further. A few things have needed to be put in place. Alcohol has been allowed up until now in the stands - but that's over."

    "Overstepping these two things is not something we will tolerate. If people want to show emotion, that's great and see how it happens. I'm an optimist and I think people will react in a good way. If not, we will take more measures."

  • Dominant Zverev sees off Goffin to reach third round at French Open Dominant Zverev sees off Goffin to reach third round at French Open

    Alexander Zverev cruised through to the third round of the French Open with a straight-sets victory over David Goffin on Thursday.

    The fourth seed followed up his impressive win over 14-time Roland Garros champion Rafael Nadal in the last round by beating Goffin 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 6-2 after two hours and 22 minutes on the court.

    Zverev was pushed all the way in the opening set before eventually edging it, and his intensity and power carried him through the rest of the match.

    Despite making five unforced errors in the second set, the German remained in control and did not face a single break point in the third to advance.

    He will play either Tallon Griekspoor or Luciano Darderi in the next round as he continues to chase his first major title. 

    Data Debrief: Zverev continues dominance on clay

    Zverev has won eight consecutive matches on clay for the first time since 2019, when he won eight between Geneva and Roland Garros. 

    This was a significant victory, too, as it is his 90th in Grand Slam events - only Boris Becker and Tommy Haas have more among German players in men's singles. 

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.