ATP

Kyrgios' assault case adjourned until February on mental health grounds

By Sports Desk October 04, 2022

Nick Kyrgios' lawyers will apply for the tennis star's assault charge to be dismissed on mental health grounds, an Australian court was told on Tuesday.

Kyrgios was charged in July of this year in relation to the alleged assault of a former partner in January 2021.

The 27-year-old, who has enjoyed a fine season in 2022, reaching the final of Wimbledon and the last eight at the US Open, was not present for a hearing in Canberra on Tuesday, as he features in the Japan Open.

Michael Kukulies-Smith, who is representing Kyrgios, asked for the case to be adjourned so forensic mental health reports could be prepared.

The case was duly adjourned to February 3, 2023 by magistrate Glenn Theakston. It is then expected Kyrgios' legal representatives will apply to have the case dismissed, with Kukulies-Smith stating he was making the application having reviewed Kyrgios' "medical history since 2015, including public disclosures of his mental health struggles".

Australian law dictates that magistrates have the power to dismiss a charge if they believe an accused person is mentally impaired, and that dealing with a charge in such a manner would be of benefit to both the defendant and the community.

Kyrgios could face two years in prison should he be handed a maximum sentence.

 

Related items

  • Nadal to face Alcaraz at Las Vegas MGM Grand, scene of legendary boxing fights Nadal to face Alcaraz at Las Vegas MGM Grand, scene of legendary boxing fights

    Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz will be exchanging fierce right-handers and left-handers across the net when tennis visits a legendary Las Vegas boxing venue in March.

    In the lead-up to the Indian Wells Open, the Spanish superstars will go head to head at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 5, it was announced on Tuesday.

    The indoor venue has staged major fights featuring the likes of Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather, Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Tyson Fury.

    Nadal, the record 22-time men's singles grand slam winner, will be facing current world number one Alcaraz in a clash of generations. Alcaraz does not turn 20 until May, while Nadal will be 36 in June.

    The match will mark Alcaraz's return to action in the United States, six months after he triumphed at the US Open in New York to land a first slam title.

    Already the youngest number one in ATP history, Alcaraz is expected to win many more majors, but he recently said he turns a "deaf ear" to comparisons between himself and Nadal.

    "There is no point in comparing," Alcaraz told reporters. "It doesn't matter that now I am world number one, Rafa's entire career counts for a lot. It is a pleasure, for every tennis lover, to see Rafa on the court."

    The Indian Wells action begins on March 8. Nadal beat Alcaraz in last year's semi-finals before losing to Taylor Fritz in the final, later revealing he played with a broken rib in the title match.

  • Pliskova reunites with coach Bajin for 2023 season Pliskova reunites with coach Bajin for 2023 season

    Karolina Pliskova will reunite with coach Sascha Bajin for the 2023 season, she has announced.

    The pair previously began working together in November 2020, with Pliskova going on to enjoy a successful 2021 season that saw her reach the Wimbledon final, as well as the title matches in Rome and Montreal.

    However, they parted in July 2022 after the former world number one, who missed the start of the campaign with a hand injury, suffered a surprise second-round Wimbledon exit, having also fallen at that stage of the French Open.

    Despite reaching the US Open quarter-finals under the guidance of Czech compatriot Leos Friedl, Pliskova has slipped to 31st in the WTA rankings, but German coach Bajin is confident her fortunes can improve.

    "I am returning mainly because I still believe I can help Karolina with my insights," Bajin said.

    "Her game has gradually improved since her hand injury and, in my eyes, she has proven that she can still compete with the best in the world.

    "We will want to build on these performances and that is why we have decided to renew our connection. I can't wait to sit in her corner again."

    Of Friedl, Pliskova added: "Many thanks to Leos, who willingly started working with us immediately. I think that under his guidance, we managed to get some interesting results."

  • Legendary tennis coach Bollettieri dies aged 91 Legendary tennis coach Bollettieri dies aged 91

    Legendary tennis coach Nick Bollettieri has died at the age of 91.

    The American, who coached the likes of Andre Agassi, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and Boris Becker, passed away on Sunday.

    He founded the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, now the IMG Academy, and long since gained a reputation of being one of the most iconic coaches in the sport.

    Tommy Haas, who was also coached by Bollettieri, paid an emotional tribute to him on Monday.

    The German posted on Instagram: "So many memories, I am not sure where to begin. Nickiiiii, that's how I have called you for the longest time.

    "Thank you for your time, knowledge, commitment, expertise, the willingness to share your skill, your personal interest in mentoring me and giving me the best opportunity to follow my dreams.

    "You were a dreamer and a doer, and a pioneer in our sport, truly one of a kind.

    "I surely will miss you around the academy, our tennis talks, miss showing of [sic] your tan, white teeth and body fat, miss watching you do Tai Chi, miss playing golf with you watching you try to cheat, eating a Snickers bar and running for the bushes, and hearing all about your plans even at the age of 91.

    "Thanks again for everything……..

    "RIP Nickiiiii."

    Monica Seles and Jim Courier were among the other players who were coached by Bollettieri.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.