Masters invitation sent to wrong Scott Stallings in case of mistaken identity

By Sports Desk January 02, 2023

Scott Stallings has revealed his invitation to this year's Masters Tournament was delivered to the wrong person in a case of mistaken identity.

The three-time PGA Tour winner had been expecting official confirmation of his inclusion for the year's first major at Augusta in April.

However, his package was instead sent to another man who shares his name, as well as having an identically named wife and residing in Georgia.

Taking to social media, Stallings posted a message he received from his namesake, who offered to forward the invite to its rightful recipient.

"Literally had been checking the mailbox five times a day and then I got this random [direct message] yesterday," Stallings tweeted.

The original recipient reached out on New Year's Day, writing: "My name is Scott Stallings as well and I'm from [Georgia]. My wife's name is Jennifer too.

"I received a FedEx today from the Masters inviting me to play in the Masters Tournament April 6-9, 2023. I'm [100 per cent] sure this is NOT for me. I play but wow! Nowhere near your level.

"It's a very nice package complete with everything needed to attend. I think we have some confusion because of our names, our wives' names and geographical location."

Stallings' previous best display at the Masters came when he claimed a share of 27th place in 2012, while his last PGA title came at the Farmers Insurance Open in 2014.

The major will be the first of the 2023 season, with players from both the PGA Tour and the breakaway LIV Golf circuit expected to feature at Augusta.

Related items

  • Hideki Matsuyama wins Genesis Invitational title after stunning final round Hideki Matsuyama wins Genesis Invitational title after stunning final round

    Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama fired a stunning final round of 62 to win the Genesis Invitational and secure his ninth PGA Tour title.

    Matsuyama carded nine birdies at Riviera Country Club to finish 17 under par, overturning a six-shot deficit to overnight leader Patrick Cantlay to claim his first win in two years.

    The former Masters champion birdied his first three holes in a front nine of 32 and started the back nine with another hat-trick of gains to move into a five-way tie for the lead.

    But the best was yet to come as the former world number two – who had slipped to 55th in the rankings – hit his approach to the 15th to eight inches, his tee shot on the next even closer and also birdied the 17th to effectively seal victory with several groups still out on the course.

    “I wasn’t striking the ball really well but my chipping and putting was working a lot this week, especially the second shot on 15 was one of the best I had. That really helped,” Matsuyama said through an interpreter.

    “I think it’s really important for me to keep this momentum, especially going to Augusta, so hopefully I can keep that.”

    Will Zalatoris and Luke List shared second place on 14 under par, List having held a two-shot lead on 16 under after racing to the turn in 30, only to struggle home in 38.

    Zalatoris carded four birdies and two bogeys in his closing 69, while 54-hole leader Cantlay could only manage a final round of 72, which included a birdie from 50 feet on the 18th.

    England’s Tommy Fleetwood finished in a tie for 10th after a closing 67, with Rory McIlroy joint 24th following a final round of 70.

    “I think that I’m close. I’m not quite where I want to be,” McIlroy told CBS.

    “It’s one of these courses where you know that precision is so important and putting your ball in the right areas and if you’re just slightly off your weaknesses sort of get magnified this week.”

  • Tiger Woods ‘much better’ after withdrawing from Genesis with flu-like symptoms Tiger Woods ‘much better’ after withdrawing from Genesis with flu-like symptoms

    Tiger Woods is said to be feeling “much, much better” after the 48-year-old was forced to withdraw from the Genesis Invitational in California due to suffering flu-like symptoms.

    The 15-time major champion, tournament host this week, returned to the PGA Tour on Thursday, finishing his opening round at the Riviera Country Club on one-over par.

    But the American could not back that up a day later as he withdrew after six holes due to illness.

    Rob McNamara, executive vice president of TGR Ventures, told PGATour.com Woods had started feeling flu-like symptoms on Thursday night.

    “He had a little bit of a fever and was better during the warm-up, but then when he got out there and was walking and playing, he started feeling dizzy,” McNamara said.

    “Ultimately the doctors are saying he’s got some – potentially some type of flu and that he was dehydrated. He’s been treated with an IV bag and he’s doing much, much better and he’ll be released on his own here soon.”

    Woods is still adapting to ankle fusion surgery, having undergone treatment in April last year after withdrawing from the Masters during the third round and he did not compete again until the Hero World Challenge in December.

    He had suffered from a back spasm towards the end of his first round, shanking his second shot on the 18th from the fairway over into the trees on the right, eventually sinking a two-putt bogey to make a five.

    Woods started in fine form on Friday, producing a birdie on the first, but back-to-back bogeys arrived from the fourth and he called it a day after a third par on the sixth left him one over for his round.

    He was driven back to the locker room by a rules official.

    Following Friday’s play, it was also announced that Jordan Spieth was disqualified for signing for an incorrect scorecard.

    In a statement on X, the PGA Tour said: “Jordan Spieth has been disqualified from The Genesis Invitational for signing for an incorrect scorecard.

    “Spieth signed for a 3 and made a 4 on No. 4.”

    American Patrick Cantlay takes a five-shot lead into the weekend at 13 under, while Rory McIlroy fights to beat the cut after following up Thursday’s 74 with a flawless 66.

  • Tiger Woods withdraws during PGA Tour return due to illness Tiger Woods withdraws during PGA Tour return due to illness

    Tiger Woods’ PGA Tour comeback ended prematurely after he pulled out of the Genesis Invitational in California during his second round.

    The 48-year-old is still adapting to ankle fusion surgery, having undergone treatment in April last year after withdrawing from the Masters during the third round and he did not compete again until the Hero World Challenge in December.

    The 15-time major champion, tournament host this week, finished Thursday’s opening round at the Riviera Country Club on one-over par.

    But the American could not back that up a day later as he withdrew after six holes due to illness.

    Woods started in fine form, producing a birdie on the first, but back-to-back bogeys arrived from the fourth and he called it a day after a third par of the day on the sixth left him one over for his round.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.