Zalatoris withdraws from BMW Championship after suffering back injury

By Sports Desk August 20, 2022

Will Zalatoris has withdrawn from the BMW Championship after suffering a lower back injury as he aims to ensure his fitness for a tilt at the upcoming Tour Championship in Atlanta.

Zalatoris – who moved to the top of the FedEx Cup standings by claiming his first Tour-level triumph at the FedEx St. Jude Championship last week – was forced to withdraw midway through Saturday's third round at the Wilmington Country Club.

The 26-year-old has finished as a runner-up at two majors this year, following up 2021's second-placed finish at the Masters by coming close to victory at both the US PGA Championship and the U.S. Open.

Zalatoris was four under for the tournament when he tweaked his back on the third hole in North Carolina, and his manager Allen Hobbs said his hopes of participating in the FedEx Cup finale were key to the decision to drop out.

"He felt that it was best to withdraw from the BMW Championship so he can work with his trainer the next few days to get the inflammation to calm down," Hobbs said.

"Will looks forward to playing next week in Atlanta."

Zalatoris, who moved to ninth in the world rankings with his long-awaited victory last Sunday, had trailed leader Adam Scott by five shots at the halfway stage of the BMW Championship.

Related items

  • Lawrence battles back to win South African Open Championship on home soil Lawrence battles back to win South African Open Championship on home soil

    Home favourite Thriston Lawrence fought back to win the South African Open Championship despite surrendering a five-shot lead with two holes remaining in Sunday's final round.

    Lawrence began Sunday with a two-shot advantage at 18-under-par, with Clement Sordet hot on his heels after carding consecutive rounds of 66.

    The South African looked to be cruising after moving five shots clear of the Frenchman on the 10th hole, but had to wait until the penultimate hole to secure the win after a series of slip-ups.

    Sordet drew level with his rival before dropping a shot by missing a short putt on the 17th, allowing Lawrence to seal the title despite missing the green off the tee in a tense finish.

    Lawrence's relief was clear when he spoke after the win, saying: "It's not over until the fat lady sings and I got a little conservative over the closing stretch and it cost me. I managed to hang in there. 

    "It's what you strive for and play for every day. Being a kid you dream of this moment. I'm just so pleased, words can't describe it."

    The victory represents Lawrence's third on the European Tour, with the 26-year-old having followed up 2021's Joburg Open win by claiming the Omega European Masters title in August.

    Jens Fahrbring finished one shot behind Sordet in third, with Matti Schmid three shots further back in fourth. 

  • Meronk ousts Scott to win Australian Open Meronk ousts Scott to win Australian Open

    Adrian Meronk overhauled Adam Scott to win his second DP World Tour title in five months with victory at the Australian Open.

    Meronk trailed Scott by a shot going into the final round at Victoria Golf Course.

    But the Pole, who won the Irish Open in July, was superb for the third successive round in Melbourne, his four-under 66 propelling him to triumph.

    He made the turn three under for the round and on the back nine bogeys at 13 and 17 were sandwiched by a birdie at 15.

    Meronk finished it in style with a stunning eagle putt from the edge of the green that saw him finish 14 under for the tournament.

    Scott, who could only manage a level-par 72, was five shots back at nine under.

    "To finish like that on the 18th hole, it's unreal," said Meronk. 

    "[I] kept doing what I done last two days and just worked pretty well so I'm just super proud of me, proud of my team."

  • LIV chief Norman says he 'pays zero attention to McIlroy and Woods' LIV chief Norman says he 'pays zero attention to McIlroy and Woods'

    Greg Norman says he pays "zero attention" to Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy after they called for him to be ousted as LIV Golf CEO and commissioner.

    Woods this week echoed McIlroy's sentiments that Norman "has to go" in order for the PGA Tour and breakaway series LIV Golf to hold constructive talks, with the two organisations having filed lawsuits against each other.

    The legendary American stated: "There is an opportunity out there if both organisations put a stay on their litigation. That's the problem.

    "There is no willingness to negotiate if you have litigation against you. I think Greg has to go first of all. It has to start with leadership on their side, understanding that what is happening right now is not the best future for the whole game of golf.

    "You need to have the two bodies come together and if one side has so much animosity, trying to destroy our tour, then how do you work with that?"

    World number one McIlroy said last month: "I think he [Norman] just needs to exit stage left. He's made his mark but I think now is the right time to sort of say, look, you've got this thing off the ground but no one is going to talk unless there's an adult in the room that can actually try to mend fences."

    Yet Australian Norman is adamant he will be going nowhere.

    "I pay zero attention to McIlroy and Woods, right?" he told Today's Golfer. "They have their agenda for whatever reason. They're saying whatever they want to say.

    "It has no bearing or effect on me. I'm going to be with LIV for a long, long period of time."

    Norman says he can heal the rifts and is doing a good job.

    He said: "Of course it can happen under my leadership. I mean, Tiger might be a messenger, right? Who knows. All I know is we are going to keep doing what we're doing with LIV, and we are just going to keep moving forward."

    Norman added: "No matter where I go in the world, nobody - not one person - has said what I'm doing is stupid or wrong."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.