Manning and DaCosta Cup competitions to kick off mid-November after government greenlights resumption of schoolboy football

By Sports Desk October 25, 2021

 The Jamaican government has given the Inter-Secondary School Sports Association (ISSA) the green light for the staging of schoolboy football this season. As such, ISSA said it is now finalizing arrangements to commence the Manning Cup and DaCosta Cup on Friday, November 12 or Saturday, November 13.

The respective competitions will have a different format for the coming season as, according to ISSA, for the first time in recent memory, the schoolboy football season will be divided into two segments with the preliminary rounds and quarterfinals scheduled to be completed before the Christmas Break with the knockout stages set for January 2022.

ISSA is also stipulating that it will be mandatory for all players and officials wishing to participate to have received at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine before the start of the competition. Failure to comply automatically renders the individual ineligible. No spectators will be allowed for at least the preliminary round of the competition.

Participating schools have also been granted approval to commence regular training activities along with joint training sessions amongst schools to facilitate preseason preparation, subject to the dictates of the Disaster Risk Management Act and final approval for such sessions by ISSA, a statement from ISSA said.

“ISSA will utilize the three weeks preceding the start of the competitions to fine-tune all execution plans with its various stakeholders, including the relevant Government Agencies,” the statement continued.

“ISSA thanks the Government of Jamaica for the confidence and trust placed in our organization. We implore all participants and the public in general, to offer us its support through their commitment to abiding by all the established and agreed protocols which facilitated the approval.”

Related items

  • Hertha fight back to break Hamburg hearts and stay in Bundesliga Hertha fight back to break Hamburg hearts and stay in Bundesliga

    Marvin Plattenhardt's second-half free-kick preserved Hertha Berlin's Bundesliga status as they fought back to beat Hamburg 2-1 on aggregate.

    Hamburg won the first leg 1-0 last week, but they will remain in 2. Bundesliga after Felix Magath's side consigned them to a 2-0 defeat at Volksparkstadion on Monday.

    Captain Dedryck Boyata levelled the play-off when he rose to head Plattenhardt's corner into the back of the net only four minutes in.

    Hertha were in front after 63 minutes, when Plattenhardt's set-piece from wide on the right flew over Hamburg goalkeeper Daniel Heuer Fernandes and into the far corner of the net.

    Stevan Jovetic could have sealed it when he went one-on-one with Fernandes but was denied by the keeper.

    That miss did not prove to be costly as Hertha held on to remain in the top flight despite Lucas Tousart's stoppage-time sending off for a second bookable offence on a painful night for Hamburg.

    There was a brief celebration from Magath, who was appointed as Hertha head coach until the end of the season in March, after his side stayed up at the expense of a club where he had great success as a player and also served as a coach.

    Hamburg have been in the second tier since they dropped out of the Bundesliga for the first time in their history four years ago.

  • Former T&T striker Stern John appointed head coach of St Lucia's national team ahead of Nations League campaign Former T&T striker Stern John appointed head coach of St Lucia's national team ahead of Nations League campaign

    Former Trinidad and Tobago striker Stern John has been appointed head coach of the St Lucia Senior Football team. The St Lucia Football Association confirmed the appointment on Sunday.

  • Mbappe insists he stayed at PSG 'because the project has changed' Mbappe insists he stayed at PSG 'because the project has changed'

    Kylian Mbappe has revealed he stayed at Paris Saint-Germain for sentimental reasons and because "the project has changed".

    Mbappe was widely expected to join Real Madrid as a free agent, but snubbed the LaLiga champions to stay at PSG.

    The 23-year-old forward's new three-year deal was confirmed before the Ligue 1 champions' 5-0 rout of Metz on Saturday and he celebrated by scoring a hat-trick.

    Mbappe ended the campaign as the first player in a Ligue 1 season to be top goalscorer, with 18, and the leading assister on 17 since the awards were first given out by the LFP for the 2007-08 campaign.

    Reports of Mbappe's deal have varied, though a common suggestion has been that the France international has been given additional power at the club.

    Some reports have even suggested Mbappe would be able to act as a de facto sporting director, and would be given control over possible transfers and even coaching appointments.

    But Mbappe said during a news conference on Monday: ""Leaving my country like that, there is this sentimental side. And also the project has changed.

    "The club has changed a lot of things and I think my story is not over."

    Asked about talk of him having more power, he said: "I remain a football player, I remain anchored in a collective.

    "I remain a football player and I would not go beyond this function."

    Mbappe also had a word for Madrid supporters, who he thanked for accepting him as "one of their own", even after he scored twice against Los Blancos in the Champions League this season.

    "I want to thank them, they have always accepted me as one of their own," he said.

    "I understand their disappointment, but I hope they will understand that I am staying in my country and as a Frenchman I want to help my country and make grow the championship."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.