Rooney hints at Derby stay despite Championship relegation

By Sports Desk April 18, 2022

Wayne Rooney suggested he would like to remain with Derby County in League One, saying he was proud of his team despite seeing their relegation from the Championship confirmed on Monday. 

The Rams will play in the third tier for the first time since the 1985-86 season after falling to a 1-0 defeat to Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

That result, coupled with rivals Reading recovering from 4-1 down to earn a remarkable 4-4 draw with Swansea City, means Derby have been relegated with three games to play after a season fraught with crisis.

Derby have been deducted a total of 21 points this season – 12 for entering administration in September and nine for breaching the Football League's financial rules under former owner Mel Morris – and were unable to overcome that significant hurdle despite producing promising results on the pitch.

Asked for his initial thoughts after relegation was confirmed, former Manchester United and England captain Rooney said he was "proud" of his players' efforts and stressed the importance of the club's takeover being completed as quickly as possible.

"[I'm] proud," Rooney told Sky Sports. "It's a strange feeling because [despite] everything we've been through as a group, the lads on the pitch, the staff, the fans, the development of the team has been really positive.

"Yeah, we've been relegated, but I've never seen a team get relegated and have a reaction from their fans like that. I thought it was incredible, the support the fans gave the lads all season.

"Of course, I'm disappointed, sad, upset, but proud. In some ways, now we can draw a line under everything that's happened and really start the rebirth of this club and try to move the club forward.

"We need the takeover to happen, it has to happen quick. The quicker that happens, the quicker we can start to develop the squad and bring in players that can bring us back up."

Prospective owner Chris Kirchner is reported to be close to completing a deal for the Pride Park club, and Rooney hinted he wants the chance to lead the Rams back to the second tier if the takeover goes through.

"The takeover has to happen. If it doesn't then I fear for the club, I fear for where the club will end up," he added. "The club's future is in doubt and my future is in doubt if it doesn't happen, so it has to.

"If it does then I want to rebuild the club. You see what it means to the fans, it's a big club, a special club, and I want to be the one to try to bring those happy days back."

Derby would be sat in lower mid-table on 52 points if not for their points deductions, and Rooney expressed regret that his players had been penalised for off-pitch events.

"I feel for the players because we've picked up 52 points, and we'd be safe now in normal circumstances," he said. "We've paid the price for what the former owner has left behind.

"It's no one's fault, not mine, not the staff, not the players', it's no one's fault other than the previous owner. We're paying the price, and I'm sure it's a sad day for him as well."

Related items

  • Arsenal and Brazil striker Jesus undergoes successful knee surgery Arsenal and Brazil striker Jesus undergoes successful knee surgery

    Arsenal and Brazil striker Gabriel Jesus has undergone successful knee surgery.

    Jesus was ruled out for the remainder of the World Cup after sustaining an injury to his right knee during the Selecao's Group G clash with Cameroon.

    Head coach Tite died reports that Jesus was already carrying an issue prior to featuring for the five-time world champions in Qatar.

    According to unconfirmed reports in Brazil, Jesus will be absent for three months.

    Premier League leaders Arsenal on Tuesday confirmed he has started his rehabilitation programme.

    The 25-year-old has played a key role in the Gunners' impressive start to the Premier League season, which sees them five points clear at the summit after 14 games.

    Jesus' tally of five goals is only bettered for Arsenal by Martin Odegaard (six), while only Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne (nine) and team-mate Bukayo Saka (six) have registered more assists in the English top flight than his five.

  • Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation

    Liverpool have contacted UEFA and Real Madrid to complain about their ticket allocation for March's Champions League last-16 clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jurgen Klopp's team were drawn to face the holders in a repeat of last season's final after finishing second to Serie A leaders Napoli in Group A last month.

    UEFA regulations say visiting teams are entitled to at least five per cent of tickets for Champions League matches, and reports suggest Madrid took the decision for March 15's second leg due to the impact of renovations at their historic home.

    However, a statement from Liverpool on Tuesday said their initial allocation of just 1,800 tickets was still "significantly less than expected" for the game.

    The statement continued: "The club has contacted UEFA and Real Madrid regarding the reduced allocation to understand the rationale behind this decision.

    "LFC will provide supporters with an update when the ticket allocation has been confirmed."

    Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Madrid at the Stade de France in May was overshadowed by the breakdown of security outside the stadium in Paris, with fans of the English club complaining of heavy-handed policing as kick-off was twice delayed.

  • Saka reveals support from 'legends' Henry and Pires along with Wenger 'regret' Saka reveals support from 'legends' Henry and Pires along with Wenger 'regret'

    Bukayo Saka revealed his gratitude for the regular support he receives from Arsenal "legends" Thierry Henry and Robert Pires.

    The England winger has netted three goals in three games at the 2022 World Cup and is set to line up against France in a mouthwatering quarter-final on Saturday.

    Henry and Pires lifted the trophy with Les Bleus 24 years ago, before going on to win two Premier League titles with Arsenal in 2002 and 2004 – forming part of the 'Invincibles' side that went through the entire campaign unbeaten in the latter.

    Academy graduate Saka, who has been with the club since the age of seven, is benefitting from their wise words and guidance.

    "We have so many French players, like Thierry and Robert Pires, that have been around the club and spoken to me and helped me," he said. "They still both support me to this day, so I'm grateful to them.

    "Of course, on the pitch, they were magnificent, and they delivered silverware for Arsenal, so they'll definitely be legends – always."

    Henry made contact with Saka following his missed penalty in England's Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy, a gesture that was greatly received by the 21-year-old.

    "It showed a lot of character from him to get my number and reach out to me," he added. "After most Arsenal games, he reaches out to me. He's still so passionate about the club; he's an amazing person."

    But despite his lengthy association with Arsenal, Saka is yet to speak with another key Frenchman in the Gunners' recent history, legendary former boss Arsene Wenger.

    "One of my biggest regrets – things I haven't been able to do – was to meet Arsene Wenger," he revealed. "I know how much everyone at the club loves him, and I know what he did for the club."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.