Rumour Has It: Mourinho hoping to tempt Ronaldo back to Italy

By Sports Desk February 16, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo ended a run of six matches without scoring in Tuesday's win over Brighton and Hove Albion, but the Manchester United forward's future remains uncertain.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner's second spell at Old Trafford has not gone quite to plan and a number of European clubs are said to be circling should he depart.

If reports are accurate, it may well be that a reunion with former boss Jose Mourinho is on the cards for Ronaldo in the coming months.


TOP STORY – ROMA IN FOR RONALDO

Roma are one of three clubs currently in the running to sign Ronaldo should he depart United in the next transfer window, according to The Sun.

Giallorossi boss Mourinho previously managed Ronaldo at Real Madrid and is eager to bolster his squad with a superstar signing.

However, it is not known if the 37-year-old would welcome a return to Serie A, where he previously spent three seasons playing for Juventus ahead of rejoining United.

European heavyweights Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain are reported to be the other two sides to have expressed an interest in Ronaldo.


ROUND-UP

- Fabrizio Romano claims Chelsea are now solely focused on signing Jules Kounde from Sevilla after being told that top defensive target Marquinhos will not be sold by PSG.

- According to The Sun, Armando Broja's form on loan with Southampton has seen the Chelsea youngster's name added to Bayern and Borussia Dortmund's list of targets.

- Manchester City have bid £5.5million (€6.5m) for Atletico Mineiro's teenage winger Savio, suggests The Guardian, with the intention of then loaning him out to PSV.

- Juan Mata will depart United as a free agent at the end of the campaign, claims Nicolo Schira. The midfielder may look to see out his career in his Spanish homeland.

- Ralf Rangnick is eager for United to bring in Christopher Nkunku from RB Leipzig, according to ESPN. Madrid, Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal have also been linked.

Related items

  • Ancelotti concedes European clubs cannot keep up with Premier League spending sprees Ancelotti concedes European clubs cannot keep up with Premier League spending sprees

    The Premier League will always lead in Europe when it comes to transfers, but Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti vows his side will not surrender easily.

    Clubs in the English top flight spent over a record-breaking £800million during the January window, led by a slew of big-money moves from Chelsea, who broke the competition's transfer record by signing Enzo Fernandez.

    The financial outlay to bring in players to the Premier League saw the competition outspend the combined totals of LaLiga, Ligue 1, Serie A and the Bundesliga.

    Speaking ahead of his side's Thursday clash with Valencia, Ancelotti suggested European clubs will always trail those across the English channel when it comes to spending sprees, though noted the Premier League teams will not necessarily dominate in UEFA competitions.

    "We know what happens there," he said. "With the television rights, they can spend higher amounts. It will continue like this.

    "Europe will follow the Premier League, it gives them an advantage.

    "Even so, the competition against them, in Europe, it will not end."

    Ancelotti's side are preparing for a busy four-week period that will see them juggle matches across four competitions, including the Club World Cup.

    Though Madrid are ready to rise to the challenge, Ancelotti said the congested schedule laid out by UEFA and FIFA is a pressing concern for big clubs.

    "We're in the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey, the last 16 of the Champions League and the Club World Cup," he added. "We don't throw away competitions.

    "It is a [tough] calendar. LaLiga wants to do its thing, FIFA wants to do its thing, UEFA wants to do its thing. It doesn't let us have days off.

    "The calendar is a very serious issue. We are excited to fight in all these competitions, but the calendar limit is being exceeded. We have to do something to avoid this."

  • Leicester City chairman clears almost £200m from club debts Leicester City chairman clears almost £200m from club debts

    Leicester City chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha has relieved the club of nearly £200million of outstanding debts.

    The Premier League club, which is owned by King Power International, had over £194m in loans and interest that they were due to pay back to Srivaddhanaprabha's company.

    However, the Thai businessman, the son of former Leicester owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, who died in a helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium in 2018, has chosen to relieve these debts.

    In a statement on Leicester's official website, the chairman said: "Maintaining long-term stability is vital for sustainable growth and a fundamental principle that has always guided our investments in the club's future.

    "We want to make sure we continue on that path from the strongest, most secure financial footing.

    "I believe with all my heart in Leicester City and what the Club can achieve for our fans, our people and our communities – in Leicester, Thailand and around the world. 

    "The faith they continue to place in us to run their club responsibly with ambition and integrity guides our decision making and remains vital to us building on one of the most successful eras in the club's history."

    The decision will undoubtedly ease concerns over Leicester's finances after a lack of spending in the recent transfer windows. 

    The deadline-day acquisition of Stoke defender Harry Soutar for £15m was only the third cash signing this season after the acquisitions of Victor Kristiansen from FC Copenhagen and Wout Faes from Reims.

    Leicester have lost four of their five league games since returning from the World Cup break and sit 14th, just three points above the bottom.
  • Conte set for Tottenham absence after having gallbladder removed Conte set for Tottenham absence after having gallbladder removed

    Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte is set for a brief absence from the club as he has surgery to remove his gallbladder.

    Spurs announced on Wednesday that the Italian coach was recently diagnosed with cholecystitis after complaining of "severe abdominal pain".

    He is set to go under the knife on the same day to have his gallbladder taken out, and this will be followed by a "period of recuperation".

    Spurs did not outline how long they expect Conte to be away from first-team duties, but he will not be in the dugout for Sunday's visit of Manchester City.

    According to the United Kingdom's National Health Service (NHS), such a procedure can require up to five days in hospital and then roughly a month to "return to your normal activities".

    That period can be twice as long "if you have a more manual job".

    Tottenham head to Leicester City six days after the City game and then face Milan at the San Siro on February 14 in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

    Spurs are fifth in the Premier League ahead of the weekend, three points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester United, who have played a game less.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.