Simeone refuses to rule out deadline-day exit for Saul amid Chelsea and Man Utd links

By Sports Desk August 29, 2021

Atletico Madrid head coach Diego Simeone declined to rule out Saul Niguez leaving the LaLiga champions before the transfer window closes on Tuesday.

Saul, who was a key part of Atletico's LaLiga-winning side last season, has been heavily linked with Champions League holders Chelsea and Premier League giants Manchester United.

Atletico midfielder Saul was a 70th-minute substitute in Sunday's last-gasp 2-2 draw at home to Villarreal and Simeone was asked about his future amid further speculation.

"He knows my view already," Simeone said. "We talked and I told him what I think and feel. There's not much else.

"Between now and Tuesday we'll see. We are open in the knowledge that anything can happen in football."

Saul had replaced Uruguayan forward Luis Suarez, who Atletico revealed would undergo tests due to severe leg pain, having cancelled out Manu Trigueros' 52nd-minute opener.

Suarez is due to fly out to South America for Uruguay's 2022 CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers against Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador over the next fortnight.

"Luis Suarez ended the game with severe pain in the back of his left leg," Atletico said post-game. "He will undergo tests in the coming hours to determine the extent of the discomfort."

Atletico needed a fortunate 95th-minute Aissa Mandi own goal to rescue a point, despite dominating proceedings with Villarreal scoring from their only two shots for the game.

Simeone's Atletico came from behind twice, with Suarez levelling up after Manu Trigueros' 52nd-minute opener, before Arnaut Danjuma restored Villarreal's lead with quarter of an hour to play.

Atletico have not lost any of their 17 La Liga games where Suarez scored (W14, D3).

"That's the joy of not losing a match that was heading in that direction," Simeone said. "It was an injustice, but this game can be like that. It was our best game so far."

Related items

  • Man City charged by FA for pitch invasion after sealing Premier League title Man City charged by FA for pitch invasion after sealing Premier League title

    Manchester City have been charged by the Football Association (FA) after their supporters invaded the pitch following the title-clinching victory over Aston Villa on the final day of last season.

    Pep Guardiola's side secured a fourth title in five seasons with a dramatic 3-2 comeback victory against Villa at the Etihad Stadium on May 22.

    Thousands of supporters made their way onto the field at the full-time whistle, with smoke flares let off, a goalpost broken and Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen allegedly attacked.

    Greater Manchester Police charged two men over the disorder and are continuing to investigate a number of other offences that took place.

    The FA formally charged City on Thursday for failing to control their supporters.

    A statement read: "Manchester City FC have been charged with a break of FA Rule E20 following its Premier League fixture against Aston Villa FC on Sunday 22 May 2022.

    "It is alleged that after the final whistle of this fixture that Manchester City failed to ensure that its spectators – and all persons purporting to be its supporters or followers – conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from using threatening and/or violent behaviour whilst encroaching onto the pitch."

    City have until August 25 to respond to the charge.

  • Guardiola confirms Bernardo Silva will go to Barcelona, but only as a Man City player Guardiola confirms Bernardo Silva will go to Barcelona, but only as a Man City player

    Barcelona will have to switch their targets after Pep Guardiola appeared to close the door on Bernardo Silva leaving Manchester City.

    Playmaker Bernardo has been linked with Barcelona for much of the current transfer window, with Xavi looking to build a team capable of challenge for LaLiga and Champions League honours.

    However, former Barcelona head coach Guardiola has been insistent he wants the 28-year-old Portugal international to stay at City.

    On Thursday, Guardiola said Bernardo would be in Barcelona next week, but only on City duty as the clubs play a charity fundraising friendly at Camp Nou.

    The match will benefit research into motor neurone disease (MND), also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

    It is a condition suffered by former Barcelona goalkeeping coach Juan Carlos Unzue, as well as Stephen Darby, who is the husband of Steph Houghton, captain of Manchester City Women.

    Speaking on Catalunya Radio, City manager Guardiola told Unzue how he sees Bernardo's future.

    "On Wednesday you will see him play," Guardiola said. "Of course! And what is certain is that he will do it with us, City. Bernardo and 10 others will play."

    Bernardo has been with City for five years, winning four Premier League titles among a host of honours and establishing himself as a key cog in Guardiola's midfield.

    Guardiola said City welcomed the chance to raise money for a worthwhile cause next week.

    "It's a gift to return to the Camp Nou to play a solidarity game to fight against [MND]," he said, quoted widely in the Spanish press.

    Praising Unzue, Guardiola added: "Life has given him a punch, and he gets up every time. With his gestures and actions he helps many people."

  • Chelsea hit out at 'idiots' as club investigate alleged racist abuse aimed at Son Chelsea hit out at 'idiots' as club investigate alleged racist abuse aimed at Son

    Chelsea have condemned "idiots" who continue to tarnish the club's name after launching an investigation into alleged racist abuse aimed at Tottenham's Son Heung-min.

    Footage emerged on social media on Wednesday appearing to show Son being targeted with a racist gesture from the Stamford Bridge stands as he went over to take a corner in front of home fans.

    In a statement released on their official website on Thursday, Chelsea announced they are looking into the incident that took place in the second half of Sunday's eventful 2-2 draw with London rivals Spurs.

    "Chelsea Football Club finds any form of discriminatory behaviour totally abhorrent. It has no place at Chelsea or in any of our communities," the statement read.

    "Chelsea FC has consistently made its zero tolerance position on discriminatory behaviour very clear, yet there are still idiots like this that attach themselves to this club as so-called 'fans', which shames Chelsea FC, our coaches, players, staff and our true supporters.

    "We are investigating this incident and, if identified, this individual will face the strongest action from the club."

    Spurs twice recovered from a goal down to rescue a point against Chelsea, with Harry Kane heading a stoppage-time equaliser in a game that saw head coaches Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte sent off after the full-time whistle.

    Both managers have been charged by the Football Association, while Stats Perform understands the FA is looking into Tuchel's post-game comments about referee Anthony Taylor, whose performance the Chelsea boss criticised.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.