Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus hit out at 'unacceptable' UEFA warnings over Super League

By Sports Desk May 08, 2021

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have described warnings from UEFA as "intolerable" and "unacceptable" as the three clubs continue to back a breakaway European Super League.

Spain's biggest two clubs and Italian outfit Juve are the only three remaining of the 12 European giants who signed up for the controversial project, with all others having withdrawn just days after the competition was announced last month.

UEFA on Friday stated that Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid would not face Champions League or Europa League bans after pulling out of the proposed Super League.

The governing body warned that the three remaining rebel clubs could be sanctioned due to their unwavering stance.

UEFA stated: "UEFA has reserved all rights to take whatever action it deems appropriate against those clubs that have so far refused to renounce the so-called 'Super League'. The matter will promptly be referred to the competent UEFA disciplinary bodies."

Barca, Madrid and Juve released a joint statement on Saturday to make it clear they are not happy with UEFA's actions.

The statement said: "The founding clubs have suffered, and continue to suffer, unacceptable third-party pressures, threats, and offenses to abandon the project and therefore desist from their right and duty to provide solutions to the football ecosystem via concrete proposals and constructive dialogue.

"This is intolerable under the rule of law and tribunals have already ruled in favour of the Super League proposal, ordering FIFA and UEFA to, either directly or through their affiliated bodies, refrain from taking any action which may hinder this initiative in any way while court proceedings are pending."

The three clubs defended the Super League proposal by stating that "structural reforms are vital to ensure our sport remains appealing and survives in the long-term".

They added that the founding clubs agreed that the new competition would only take place if it was "recognised by UEFA and/or FIFA or if, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, it was deemed to be a competition duly compatible for all purposes with the continuity of the founding clubs in their respective domestic competitions".

Juve, Barca and Madrid claim the Super League provided "a unique opportunity to offer fans around the world the best possible show and to reinforce global interest in the sport".

The trio of clubs say they are "ready to reconsider the proposed approach" but it would be "highly irresponsible" if they abandoned a mission to "provide effective and sustainable answers to the existential questions that threaten the football industry".

Related items

  • Lewandowski 'not scared' of playing on to 2026 World Cup after Poland exit Lewandowski 'not scared' of playing on to 2026 World Cup after Poland exit

    Robert Lewandowski is "not scared" of playing at another World Cup, but the Poland captain acknowledged his side would need a change in tactics.

    The forward saw his side beaten 3-1 by France in their last-16 tie, bowing out of Qatar 2022 after a frustrating campaign that saw them struggle in the group stages too.

    Having come to this tournament without a World Cup goal in his career, Lewandowski added his second goal of the tournament from the penalty spot late on against Les Bleus.

    But when asked if he would still be in the frame to feature at the 2026 edition in just under four years – by which time he will be 37 years old – the veteran Barcelona frontman would not commit.

    "Physically, I'm not scared of it," he said. "But there are so many things to manage first. It's hard to say now. Athletically, it doesn't scare me, but there are still a lot of uncertainties."

    Lewandowski hinted a shift away from the defence-orientated performances Poland displayed in Qatar may be needed.

    "It's still a long way to go and, obviously, you need to enjoy the game," he said. "If we attack, try to attack, it's a bit different. But if we play defensively, there's no joy."

    Poland were always the underdogs against a France team who, even with several key stars missing through injury, have emerged among the favourites to land the title they won four years ago.

    Lewandowski concedes his side were always going to have a struggle on their hands, adding: "It is a difficult match, to play against France.

    "We fought and we tried to do our best. We played very, very well in the first half, with a few chances. Maybe if we scored the first goal, it would have been a different game.

    "Unfortunately, we conceded a goal in the last minute of the first half. It's always difficult to come back from that. We reacted well, we pushed to come back. We can be proud because we tried everything."

  • Kane overtakes Lineker as England's top tournament scorer Kane overtakes Lineker as England's top tournament scorer

    Harry Kane surpassed Gary Lineker as England's all-time record goalscorer at major tournaments with his effort against Senegal.

    The Tottenham striker fired home the second of his side's goals during Sunday's 3-0 win at Al Bayt Stadium, as the Three Lions set up a Qatar 2022 quarter-final tie with France.

    It was Kane's first goal at this year's tournament and took his tally in World Cups to seven in 10 matches, having claimed the Golden Boot award in Russia four years ago.

    The forward also scored four times for England in their run to the Euro 2020 final last year, making it 11 goals in major competitions – one more than Lineker managed.

    The 29-year-old is now one goal short of equalling Wayne Rooney (53) as England's all-time record scorer, with Kane's 52 goals coming in 79 caps.

     

  • England 3-0 Senegal: Kane off the mark in Three Lions stroll England 3-0 Senegal: Kane off the mark in Three Lions stroll

    Harry Kane scored his first goal of the tournament as England cruised past Senegal 3-0 to set up a World Cup quarter-final against France.

    The Tottenham striker doubled England's lead in first-half injury-time after Jordan Henderson opened the scoring 10 minutes earlier.

    Bukayo Saka completed the scoring in a surprisingly routine win after 57 minutes with his third goal of the finals.

    England's next assignment is unlikely to be as straightforward, with Les Bleus and Kylian Mbappe lying in wait on Saturday.

    A turgid opening half hour was notable only for the number of times England squandered possession in dangerous areas, with Senegal unable to make the most of their opportunities.

    Boulaye Día saw a close-range shot hit John Stones – VAR ruling there was no case for a penalty – before Jordan Pickford was called upon to produce a brilliant stop to deny the Salernitana striker from 10 yards.

    England finally woke from their slumber and, from their first move of genuine quality, took the lead seven minutes before the break. Kane set Jude Bellingham free in the left channel and his low cross was turned in Henderson.

    It could have been 2-0 three minutes later with a near-identical move, but this time from the right, Saka sliding it over for Kane who shot wastefully over the bar.

    Gareth Southgate's men did double their advantage in first-half stoppage time, though. The impressive Bellingham won the ball on the edge of his own area and burst through midfield before picking out Foden on the left. Foden slid it over for Kane, who took one touch before slamming past Edouard Mendy.

    England put the game beyond doubt 12 minutes into the second half. Kane's pass was blocked, with Foden picking up the loose ball and playing a centre for Saka to cleverly lift the ball over Mendy.

    The life had long since drained out of Senegal, with Southgate able to make several changes with France in mind.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.