Upamecano will be a Bayern Munich player, confirms sporting director Salihamidzic

By Sports Desk February 12, 2021

Dayot Upamecano will join Bayern Munich from RB Leipzig next season having agreed a five-year contract, the German champions' sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has confirmed.

Upamecano has long been linked with a move away from Leipzig after emerging as one of Europe's most highly-rated defenders.

In recent weeks the speculation had ramped up, with Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern said to be the three clubs in the hunt for him.

Upamecano's agent recently confirmed the presence of a €42.5million release clause in the defender's contract, which he only signed last year.

And that is the figure Bayern are preparing to pay, with Salihamidzic revealing conversations reached their conclusion in the past week.

When asked by Sport Bild if he could confirm the transfer, Salihamidzic said: "I can do that, and we are very happy about that at FC Bayern.

"We had very good, intensive and professional discussions with Dayot and his advisor Volker Struth for many months.

"We knew we had very tough competition. Upamecano is a young player, 22, whose qualities are already exceptionally developed.

"I was always convinced that we came up with a good concept. We presented him with our vision of his career at FC Bayern.

"During the past week in Doha, I spoke to everyone involved again. At the end of a long process, the players, family and management were convinced that FC Bayern was the right partner."

It was then put to him that Bayern were committed to paying the release clause and giving Upamecano a five-year deal, to which he replied: "Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."

The transfer will see Bayern once again strengthen themselves while seemingly weakening a direct domestic rival.

Nevertheless, Leipzig have been expecting Upamecano's departure for a while and had been preparing for life without him.

They secured a deal last year for highly rated Croatia Under-21 international Josko Gvardiol, who returned to former club Dinamo Zagreb on loan for the 2020-21 season.

Leipzig are also reportedly close to agreeing a deal for Strasbourg defender Mohamed Simakan in a deal that is said to be worth up to €18m.

Related items

  • No need for Cristiano Ronaldo 'soap opera', says Bruno Fernandes No need for Cristiano Ronaldo 'soap opera', says Bruno Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes has defended Cristiano Ronaldo and believes there is "no need" for a "soap opera" around his Manchester United and Portugal team-mate following a 1-0 loss to Spain.

    After an impressive 4-0 win against the Czech Republic put Portugal in pole position in Nations League Group A2, they were beaten by La Roja and missed out on a place in the Finals.

    Ronaldo failed to score in a third consecutive game at international level, seeing two attempts saved by Unai Simon, and appeared extremely disappointed and frustrated at full-time.

    But Fernandes came to his colleague's defence, saying: "There is no need to make great stories. Cristiano is here, he is here to help, and he will continue to help.

    "Cristiano is a forward; he wants to score goals. Frustration is normal, but there was no one more frustrated than anyone else.

    "We were all very frustrated – there is no need to make a soap opera around Cristiano."

    Ronaldo has just one goal and one assist for club and country this season, but Fernandes added: "He has done what he has to do; the goals will appear.

    "This is a phase. When the goals start to appear, he will have more capacity and tranquillity to continue scoring many goals for our national team. We cannot forget that he is the best scorer ever."

    After two disappointing international tournaments, not progressing past the last 16 at either the 2018 World Cup or Euro 2020, Qatar provides an opportunity for Portugal to set things right. 

    "[The Nations League] doesn't get in the way," Fernandes said. "The World Cup is a completely different competition.

    "We knew what we had to do in this competition; unfortunately, we couldn't go all the way.

    "The World Cup will soon be seen, so we have to focus, be at the best level in the clubs to represent the national team."

  • Scaloni excited by prospect of continuing Argentina role through to 2026 World Cup Scaloni excited by prospect of continuing Argentina role through to 2026 World Cup

    Lionel Scaloni is "excited and grateful" at the prospect of continuing as Argentina coach through to the 2026 World Cup.

    Chiqui Tapia, president of the Argentine Football Association, stated an agreement had been reached between both parties for Scaloni to remain in his post for the next four years.

    A new deal would be a fine reward for Scaloni, who replaced Jorge Sampaoli after the 2018 World Cup, where Argentina were beaten by eventual champions France in the last 16.

    Under Scaloni, Argentina won the Copa America last year to end a drought at major tournaments dating back to the 1993 Copa.

    A routine 3-0 win over Jamaica on Tuesday, in which Lionel Messi scored twice off the bench, also saw Argentina stretch their unbeaten run to 35 matches.

    Scaloni is now focused on continuing his work with the national team.

    "I'm excited and grateful," Scaloni said about Tapia's announcement.

    "I want to continue, who wouldn't want to do it with the Argentine national team?

    "I have the best relationship with the president, we met today, everything is on track."

    The fixture against Jamaica was Argentina's penultimate game before the World Cup with a friendly against the United Arab Emirates to come before the tournament in Qatar.

    Earlier this year, Argentina's planned friendly against Brazil – scheduled to take place in Australia – was cancelled.

    Scaloni spoke about a lack of preparation against the more elite sides of international football but is confident his team will be ready based on their performances in the build-up to the tournament.

    "The result is positive, not for the results, but because the players gave themselves to the maximum," he added.

    "Sometimes things don't go well but this team knows that sometimes you can suffer, the rival can be better, and you have to stay entrenched and work.

    "Don't forget that our idea of the game could be different from what was seen today You have to know what to do in the game and this team knows it."

    Asked about his team's chances in Qatar, Scaloni added: "I do not go to Qatar with an inflated chest, there are great teams and it is very difficult to say who can win the World Cup.

    "Whatever it has to be in the World Cup [it will be], but we are going to leave every last drop of sweat [out there]."

    Argentina's first group-stage match takes place on November 22nd against Saudi Arabia.

     

  • 'My contract goes until 2024' – Santos not worried after Portugal defeat 'My contract goes until 2024' – Santos not worried after Portugal defeat

    Fernando Santos had no concerns around his future as Portugal coach after his team lost 1-0 to Spain and missed out on a place at the Nations League Finals.

    Spain's dramatic victory came courtesy of Alvaro Morata's goal in the 88th minute, sending La Roja to next year's tournament instead of Portugal.

    Having only needed a draw to advance, the late winner was of great frustration to Santos, but he would not entertain talk around his status as coach.

    Informed of criticism and asked whether poor results would affect his position, Santos shot back: "Well, that's fine. But what should I answer? It doesn't pinch [impact] me at all.

    "Do you want to be more direct or is that your question?

    "My contract goes until 2024. I can't be more direct than that."

    On the match, Santos added: "We cannot concede a goal in the last minutes. If we have to defend, we should give everything for it.

    "Anyway, the players worked hard, and we still had a good opportunity, but we didn't make the most of it." 

    Spain had five shots on target to Portugal's four, but all of those came after the 71st minute, with Santos' side paying for their earlier profligacy.

    "If I would like to simplify, I would say that we had several opportunities and Spain only had a few," the coach said. "So it would be a matter of efficiency: we didn't score.

    "We must look at the whole game. We are all very sad. We were convinced that we would reach the Nations League Finals. We are not there, so we are obviously sad.

    "We must move on and identify what needs to be improved. We must address it in order to be on top form at the World Cup."

    Portugal were not helped by Cristiano Ronaldo's failure to contribute in attack.

    He has now not scored in his past three appearances for Portugal, and there are questions around his ability to carry the national team without consistent game time at Manchester United.

    "I am only interested in the team's performance," Santos said. "Ronaldo had three or four chances, two of them very good.

    "He normally scores [in these situations], but he didn't. It's football. We normally expect him to score, but he didn't."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.