Phil Parkinson praises Paul Mullin after hat-trick helps Wrexham sink Accrington

By Sports Desk March 02, 2024

Manager Phil Parkinson felt Paul Mullin was on a different level as the Wrexham striker bagged a first-half hat-trick in the 4-0 thrashing of Accrington.

Mullin’s treble and Elliot Lee’s effort before half-time saw Wrexham return to League Two’s top three, with Stanley’s Lewis Shipley sent off late on.

Mullin now has 16 goals after his second hat-trick of the season and Parkinson was full of praise for the striker as Wrexham dominated proceedings to win their first game in four.

He said: “Mulls was brilliant. He was back to his sharpest.

“I felt the performance on Tuesday and the penalty, you could see he was lifted from that and he took it into today’s performance and they’re three really good goals.

“Like all goalscorers, what Mulls has done here in terms of his goal ratio is extraordinary and there’s going to be a period where it doesn’t go his way, we’ve been able to rest him a few games to keep him fresh and today he was on a different level at times.

“I’ve been saying that we’ve dominated a lot of games without really getting our rewards and we kept believing that dominance would be turned into goals because in the last few years it normally has.

“It’s probably the first time where we’ve had periods where we haven’t punished teams but today we were excellent in and around that final third which is the most important part of the football pitch.”

Accrington boss John Coleman – whose side dropped to 16th – admitted Mullin was the difference with his clinical finishing but felt the late dismissal for Shipley perhaps could have been a yellow instead.

He said: “It was clinical finishing by Paul Mullin. It was the big difference. We gifted them a couple of chances and he’s punished us.

“I’ve got to take my hat off to them. They had the bit between their teeth. They scored the goals at the right time.

“We’ve given them things to cheer about and you’re coming here wanting to stay in the game. The first two goals were totally avoidable, all goals were but the first two hurt and then it’s damage limitation.

“Second half I thought we rolled our sleeves up and didn’t get humiliated. We could have scored a couple ourselves and then the body blow is getting Lewis Shipley sent off.

“It’s disappointing. I think it could have been sold as a yellow, with a bit of empathy for the game, 92nd minute and being 4-0 down, it’s not going to influence the game being a red.”

Related items

  • Dundee-Rangers clash to finally go ahead on Wednesday after two postponements Dundee-Rangers clash to finally go ahead on Wednesday after two postponements

    The cinch Premiership match between Dundee and Rangers is set to go ahead at the third time of asking on Wednesday after a pitch inspection at Dens Park.

    Rangers have already made the trip to the Scot Foam Stadium twice – on March 17 and April 10 – only for the pitch to be deemed unplayable, and contingency plans had been drawn up for the game to be moved to St Johnstone’s McDiarmid Park if the pitch failed its latest inspection.

    A statement from the Scottish Professional Football League said: “The SPFL can confirm that the cinch Premiership game between Dundee and Rangers scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday April 17, is set to go ahead as planned at the Scot Foam Stadium, Dens Park.

    “On the basis of the weather forecasts and following discussions with the SPFL-appointed pitch consultants, who have been at the stadium for a number of days, no further inspection is planned ahead of the match.

    “Contingency plans had been put in place by the league to switch the fixture to McDiarmid Park should the pitch have been deemed unplayable today, but these will no longer be required and the game will go ahead as planned at Dens Park.”

    The fixture has taken on extra significance in the wake of Rangers’ shock defeat to Ross County at the weekend, which has left them four points adrift of Celtic, with this fixture their game in hand.

  • Troy Deeney ‘pushing boundaries’ with wildcard slot at UK Open Pool Championship Troy Deeney ‘pushing boundaries’ with wildcard slot at UK Open Pool Championship

    Former footballer Troy Deeney hopes his wildcard entry into the UK Open Pool Championship can help “push the sport forward”.

    Deeney played in the Premier League with Watford and later had a spell at boyhood club Birmingham before a brief stint in coaching at Sky Bet League Two club Forest Green, where he was sacked after just six matches in charge having taken over following the dismissal of David Horseman.

    The 35-year-old is set to switch his focus to the pool table when the UK Open event starts in Telford on May 7.

    Deeney hopes his participation can play a part in raising the sport’s profile.

    “It’s something different, isn’t it? Something completely new,” Deeney told Sky Sports. “I just like pushing the boundaries a little bit, and seeing how it goes.

    “I’ve always got fond respect for any athlete in any profession. To do what they do takes hours and years of practice and dedication, so why not try my hand at it when the opportunity has come around?”

    Deeney, though, is not expecting to be an instant success.

    “The aim is to go there and not embarrass myself to be honest, but also be humble enough and vulnerable enough to know these guys have been doing it for years,” he said.

    “You can’t just put a few months’ worth of genuine training into it and a lot of years of odd playing – sometimes with a beer in hand as well – and expect to beat these guys.

    “But I know as soon as I’m involved in anything, my competitive edge will come flowing through anyways. I’ll give it a good go.

    “My end goal for this is to push the sport forward as much as I possibly can.”

  • Luke Hannant brace clinches Gateshead play-off place Luke Hannant brace clinches Gateshead play-off place

    Gateshead secured their place in the National League play-offs with a 2-1 win over champions Chesterfield, who suffered a fourth successive defeat since wrapping up the title.

    The home side – facing a third game in the space of five days after losing at Fylde and Maidenhead – took the lead in the 12th minute through a penalty from Luke Hannant.

    Chesterfield fell further behind in the 32nd minute when midfielder Hannant converted another spot-kick – and Spireites boss Paul Cook was shown a yellow card for his protests on the touchline.

    The visitors pulled a goal back on the hour mark when defender Louis Storey turned a cross into his own net, but Gateshead held on to make sure of their play-off spot.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.