Berhalter's 'heart aches for my wife' amid Reyna saga but optimistic of future with USMNT

By Sports Desk January 05, 2023

Gregg Berhalter was left devastated for his wife after Giovanni Reyna's mother revealed herself to be the one who reported the United States coach to U.S. Soccer over a domestic altercation in 1991 following perceived mistreatment of her son at Qatar 2022.

Berhalter revealed on Tuesday he was the subject of an investigation after he admitted to kicking his then-girlfriend Rosalind, who is now his wife.

He said U.S. Soccer was made aware of the incident by "an individual" who planned to "take me down" during the World Cup.

Danielle Reyna subsequently released a statement on Wednesday confirming she was the individual involved, explaining her actions stemmed from Berhalter seemingly referencing Giovanni when revealing a USA player was nearly sent home from Qatar for poor behaviour.

Giovanni's father, Claudio, a former USA team-mate of Berhalter, also confirmed he "shared my frustrations about my son's World Cup experience with a number of close friends, [U.S. Soccer sporting director] Earnie [Stewart] and [general manager] Brian McBride among them", but he insisted he never made any threats.

The saga has left a stain on American soccer, and Berhalter is particularly disappointed for his wife.

Speaking of the controversy for the first time publicly, Berhalter told the Harvard Business Review: "Our entire family is sad about these events, and it's something we want to move forward from.

"As we said in the statement, it was something we didn't hide from back then and isn't something we are prepared to hide from now, that's why we issued the statement.

"The events of that night 31 years ago and the lessons learned from that basically set the foundation for our relationship moving forward.

"It's a loving relationship, a devoted relationship, and we have four amazing kids to show for it. The worst part of it for me is my heart aches for my wife, because it was her story to tell if she chose to or not, and that's what just really saddens me."

Berhalter's original comments about Giovanni were erroneously published by the Charter newsletter after he spoke at the "HOW Institute for Society's summit on Moral Leadership".

He now regrets ever saying anything, despite believing he was not talking on the record.

"If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have told that story," he added. "It brought too much attention to an overall shining example of team culture and teamwork. That would be something I'd go back and change, for sure."

Berhalter's contract with the USA ended last week and U.S. Soccer's probe into the 1991 incident is unlikely to have helped his chances of getting a renewal.

U.S. Soccer announced on Wednesday that Anthony Hudson will take charge of the team's upcoming January training camp, though Berhalter is hopeful of returning to the post.

"It's a fantastic group of players, a super high-potential group and we are competing in the World Cup in North America in 2026, so it would be amazing challenge for this team," Berhalter said.

"When we started in 2018, we wanted to change the way the world views American soccer and I think when you ask around the world now about our team, everyone sees us in a different light.

"But now it's about taking that next step, and that next step is doing something no US team has ever done, and that's get to the semi-finals [of a men's World Cup] and see what happens from there.

"There's a lot of great challenges involved, and of course I'd like to continue in my role."

Related items

  • 'I would never abandon Brazil' – Ronaldinho backtracks on Copa America comments 'I would never abandon Brazil' – Ronaldinho backtracks on Copa America comments

    Ronaldinho has declared he will never "abandon" Brazil, rowing back on his previous claim that he will not support the Selecao at the upcoming Copa America.

    Brazil are gearing up for a tilt at a 10th South American title, with Colombia, Paraguay and Costa Rica awaiting Dorival Junior's team in Group D.

    Just 10 days prior to their opening game against Costa Rica in Los Angeles, Selecao great Ronaldinho said he has "had enough" with the team and would not watch any of their matches at the tournament.

    The 2002 World Cup winner said the current Brazil squad displayed a "lack of love for the shirt and lack of grit", adding: "I've never seen a situation as bad as this."

    However, Ronaldinho has now suggested those comments were simply reflecting the stance of many fans and were not his own feelings.

    In a video posted to his Instagram account, he said: "I would never abandon Brazilian football, ever. I'd never say those things you see… 

    "Actually, these words came from real Brazilian fans, they are real comments that I saw on the internet. 

    "Imagine listening to these messages before you play? Motivation goes down... fan support makes a huge difference to the players. I know what I'm talking about. 

    "What our boys need is support at this time. The more confidence we show, the more confidence they will have on the field."

  • Italy must be 'meaner' against Spain after nervy win over Albania – Spalletti Italy must be 'meaner' against Spain after nervy win over Albania – Spalletti

    Italy must be "meaner" when they face Spain in Thursday's heavyweight Group B clash after starting Euro 2024 with an unconvincing win over Albania, says Luciano Spalletti. 

    The Azzurri were stunned by the fastest goal in European Championship history on Saturday as Nedim Bajrami put them behind within just 23 seconds, but goals from Alessandro Bastoni and Nicolo Barella saw them rally for a 2-1 win.

    The defending champions enjoyed 68.3 per cent of the possession, created five big chances to Albania's two and recorded 34 touches in the penalty area to their opponents' seven. 

    However, they still had to survive a major scare at the death as Gianluigi Donnarumma turned Rey Manaj's attempted lob wide, clinching the three points.

    After seeing Group B rivals Spain thrash Croatia 3-0 earlier on Saturday, former Napoli boss Spalletti knows more will be needed from Italy next time out.

    "There are a number of things we still have to improve because we thought we were better than we were in too many situations," Spalletti told reporters.

    "We need to be meaner. We are neat and tidy in the way we build things up, we would free up a man, but then you need to go and hurt the opposition. 

    "We thought we were brilliant at just keeping possession. We need to move the ball a bit more quickly, because we did so badly on occasions tonight, but against Spain there will probably be chances to play the ball forward more.

    "Because they tend to be more aggressive in their bite and press, there might be greater scope to actually play in behind their defensive line."

    Italy have now won their opening game on each of their last three appearances at the Euros (also 2016 and 2020), having only done so twice in their first eight (five draws, one loss).

    They have also gone unbeaten through 10 games at the tournament for just the second time (seven wins, three draws), previously doing so in their first 10 between 1968 and 1988 (four wins, six draws), lifting the trophy in 1968.

  • Ronaldo insists Portugal 'deserve to win' Euro 2024 Ronaldo insists Portugal 'deserve to win' Euro 2024

    Cristiano Ronaldo says Portugal "deserve to win" Euro 2024, as the skipper issued a rallying cry to the 2016 champions.

    Roberto Martinez's side are among the favourites to go all the way in Germany, where they begin their campaign against Czechia on Tuesday, before facing Turkiye and debutants Georgia in Group F.

    Portugal were the only nation in qualifying to progress with a 100 per cent record as they won all 10 of their matches, scoring 36 goals and conceding just two, though their impressive form stalled with defeats against Croatia and Slovenia in recent friendlies.

    Ronaldo, who netted 10 times in qualifying, is set to become the first player to feature in six editions of the European Championship, in which he already holds the record for most appearances (25) and goals (14).

    The 39-year-old is joined by the likes of Bruno Fernandes, Bernardo Silva, Joao Felix, Rafael Leao and Goncalo Ramos in a star-studded squad he feels are more than capable of going all the way and landing a second European crown.

    "I believe that this generation deserves to win a competition of this magnitude," said Ronaldo, who captained Portugal to glory eight years ago. "Semi-finals? I hope we can go further.

    "We have to go step by step, live in the moment, be calm, work as well as we have until now, believe that it is possible. We know it's a short competition, but the team is ready.

    "It's getting off to a good start, which is essential. I feel ready, I've prepared myself for this competition.

    "It's my sixth European Championship, it's about enjoying it in the best possible way, playing well and making sure the team can win."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.