Ronaldo's new club Al Nassr forced to call off match due to electrical issues at stadium

By Sports Desk January 05, 2023

Cristiano Ronaldo's new club Al Nassr were forced to call off Thursday's Saudi Pro League match with Al Tai due to bad weather impacting the stadium's electricity supply.

Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo was unveiled by Al Nassr on Tuesday after signing a huge-money two-and-a-half-year deal with the Saudi Arabian club.

Due to a two-match domestic ban carried over from his time with former side Manchester United, Ronaldo was not expected to make his debut against Al Tai.

However, there had been suggestions in the build-up to the contest that Al Nassr were looking at ways to circumnavigate the suspension to allow Ronaldo to play.

Those who gathered at King Saud University Stadium were left disappointed either way, though, as the contest was postponed for 24 hours.

A statement on the club's official account confirmed the news a little over two hours before kick-off at 6pm local time.

"Due to heavy rain and weather conditions impacting the stadium’s electricity, we've been informed tonight's match against Al Tai is postponed for 24 hours," the statement read.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused to fans and wish everyone safe travels."

Al Nassr follow up Friday's rearranged match against Al Tai with a trip to Al Shabab next week, before facing Al Ettifaq on January 21 for what is expected to be Ronaldo's debut.

Related items

  • Barcelona could demand Real Madrid replay if ‘phantom goal’ deemed legal Barcelona could demand Real Madrid replay if ‘phantom goal’ deemed legal

    Barcelona president Joan Laporta has threatened legal action and could demand a replay after his side were denied a goal against Real Madrid at the weekend.

    Lamine Yamal thought he had scored in the 28th minute of Sunday’s 3-2 LaLiga loss at the Bernabeu but, after a lengthy VAR check, it was ruled the ball had not cross the line.

    The Spanish competition does not use goalline technology.

    Laporta has requested footage and audio of the decision-making over this “phantom goal” incident from the Spanish Football Federation and will then consider further action.

    He said in a statement on the club’s website, fcbarcelona.com: “If, once this documentation has been analysed, the club understands that an error was made in the revision of the incident, we will take all available measures to reverse the situation, without discounting, obviously, any necessary legal action.

    “If it is confirmed that it was a legal goal, we will move ahead and we do not discount requesting that the game be replayed, just as has happened in another game in Europe due to a VAR error.”

    Laporta was referring to a decision to replay a Belgian Pro League between Anderlecht and Genk because of a VAR error earlier this season.

    Real went on to win the match 3-2 with a stoppage-time winner from Jude Bellingham and are now 11 points clear of Barca at the top of the table.

  • Football rumours: Five clubs in the race to sign Crystal Palace’s Michael Olise Football rumours: Five clubs in the race to sign Crystal Palace’s Michael Olise
    What the papers say

    Five clubs are in the race to sign Crystal Palace forward Michael Olise, Football Insider reports, with Arsenal and Manchester United joining Manchester City, Juventus and Chelsea. The 22-year-old has scored seven goals in 14 games for Palace this season.

    The Sun says Barcelona have joined Arsenal in the fight for Newcastle striker Alexander Isak with the Spanish club hoping to strike a deal with the Magpies for a player reported to be valued at around £90million. The 24-year-old Sweden international has scored 17 goals in 24 Premier League games for Newcastle this season.

    Meanwhile, the credentials of Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag will be assessed  by new technical director Jason Wilcox as the club decides on the Dutchman’s future, according to the Telegraph, while the same outlet says former Wolvers manager Julen Lopetegui is a contender to replace David Moyes at West Ham.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Viktor Gyokeres: The 25-year-old Sporting Lisbon striker is Arsenal’s top target as the Gunners prepare to make several signings this summer, Football Transfers reports.

    Wilfred Ndidi: Crystal Palace are interested in the Leicester midfielder who is available for a free transfer this summer, according to Talksport.

  • Daniel Farke says seven-goal thriller was ‘good advertisement’ for Championship Daniel Farke says seven-goal thriller was ‘good advertisement’ for Championship

    Leeds manager Daniel Farke believes Leeds’ 4-3 victory over Middlesbrough was a “good advertisement” for Championship football.

    An end-to-end encounter at the Riverside produced five goals in just the first half, starting with the hosts taking an early lead through Isaiah Jones.

    Leeds netted two goals in 11 minutes when Summerville slotted home from the spot and Patrick Bamford came back to haunt the Riverside after bundling a goal home.

    Emmanuel Latte Lath drew Boro level on the 30 minute mark but Wilfried Gnonto restored the visitors’ advantage in a frenetic first 45 minutes.

    Summerville bagged his second of the game after the break with a curling strike and there was late drama when Latte Lath scored a looping header in the 87th minute but Leeds held on for the three points.

    Reflecting on a thrilling clash, Farke believes his players showed “great mentality” to see out victory.

    He said: “First of all a good advertisement for Championship football, I think all the supporters have enjoyed the game.

    “(It was) a great piece of football from two good sides who really went for it to win this game.

    “To start the game with this unlucky goal, deflected pass that normally wouldn’t have been a chance, they scored out of this.

    “Middlesbrough played today with freedom because it was more or less their last highlight, they could go for it and had a really good shape, then they are 1-0 up after just a few moments.

    “To show such a reaction in the first half to come back to create so many chances, to score fantastic goals, was great for us to have.

    “Compliments to Middlesbrough, they showed a fantastic performance, but great mentality from our players to lead 3-2 at half-time.

    “We needed to show some steel and resilience in the last minutes to dig in and grind out this important result for us and we did.

    “Many compliments for the heart, the mentality and the character of our players today and for their offensive quality.”

    The result means Leeds climb to second in the table, overtaking Ipswich who have three games left this season compared to the Yorkshire club’s two.

    Boro remain ninth in the table and boss Michael Carrick praised his side for their “incredible effort” but believes Gnonto’s goal, which appeared to be offside, was a “massive decision” in the game.

    “I enjoyed the game, I thought we did a lot of good things,” he said.

    “They’ve got some good quality and they’ve showed it all season. At the top end of the pitch they’re really dangerous.

    “I thought we defended largely in shape really well, we were really good with the ball and dominated and controlled large parts of the game.

    “I was really pleased with the boys and the effort was an incredible effort all the way to the end. We went for it, we had to go for it, we threw everything at them.

    “The offside goal is a massive decision. We asked the boys to defend well and hold the line together, the line’s impeccable really and I think there’s three of them in the line around the edge of the box hold the line.

    “You expect offsides given, which it was too clear not to be.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.