Maguire deserves more respect, says England team-mate Pickford

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Jordan Pickford believes his England team-mate Harry Maguire deserves more respect.

Maguire has become a figure of some ridicule after a downturn in form for Manchester United in the last year, with some questioning whether he should be in England's team at the World Cup in Qatar.

However, the 29-year-old centre-back was a key figure as the Three Lions won their opening Group B match 6-2 against Iran on Monday.

"I think [Maguire] needs to be respected a lot more, but part of the life of a footballer you are going to get criticised, everyone gets criticised in football," England goalkeeper Pickford told reporters.

"But Harry is mentally strong, takes it really well but yeah I think it’s a bit unfair, but his performances on the pitch show how good of a player he is and why he has so many caps for England and why he is captain of Manchester United."

Maguire assisted Bukayo Saka's first goal against Iran, won all four of his aerial duels, and felt he should have had a penalty when he appeared to be dragged down in the box with the game still at 0-0.

"He did unbelievable [against Iran], [he was] really good the other night," Pickford added. "For the first goal, the pass, then the assist for [Saka] and then maybe he could have got a penalty for us early on with the VAR decision that went against us.

"We have a great relationship, I think the majority of my caps now have been with Harry playing in front of me. We work really well together, and I think that our defensive record with Harry playing there is really good as well, and he is in a very good moment."

In a World Cup that has thrown up some surprising results in the opening days, England will have been pleased to get through their opener with a comfortable win, but Pickford insists they cannot look too far ahead of the next game, which comes against the United States on Friday.

"The situation is that we are here now, and the challenge is to go and win the World Cup," he said. "But there are a lot of challenges to get there and a lot of ups and downs really in each football match to get there, but our main aim is to win the World Cup, I think that is why everyone is here, to win the World Cup.

"We do have little conversations about it because it's what we want and it's our end goal, but we have to get to our end goal first."

Related items

  • West Ham's Paqueta charged by FA over alleged breaches of betting rules West Ham's Paqueta charged by FA over alleged breaches of betting rules

    Lucas Paqueta has been charged by the Football Association (FA) over alleged breaches of betting rules, with the West Ham midfielder accused of intentionally seeking to receive a card in four different games.

    Last August, it was reported that the FA had opened an investigation into suspicious betting activity surrounding Paqueta.

    In March, the Brazil international said he was cooperating with the FA's probe and was "happy to be helping".

    On Thursday, the FA brought charges against Paqueta, who is accused of attempting to get himself carded in four different Premier League fixtures, three in the 2022-23 season and one on the opening matchday of 2023-24.

    An FA spokesperson said: "West Ham United's Lucas Paqueta has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of FA Rules E5 and F3.

    "The player has been charged with four breaches of FA Rule E5.1 in relation to his conduct in the club's Premier League fixtures against Leicester City on 12 November 2022; Aston Villa on 12 March 2023; Leeds United on 21 May 2023; and AFC Bournemouth on 12 August 2023. 

    "It's alleged that he directly sought to influence the progress, conduct, or any other aspect of, or occurrence in these matches by intentionally seeking to receive a card from the referee for the improper purpose of affecting the betting market in order for one or more persons to profit from betting."

    Paqueta, who has until June 3 to respond to the charges, immediately addressed them on social media, vowing to clear his name.

    He wrote on Instagram: "I am extremely surprised and upset that the FA has decided to charge me. For nine months, I have cooperated with every step of their investigation and provided all the information I can.

    "I deny the charges in their entirety and will fight with every breath to clear my name."

    The news comes after Brentford striker Ivan Toney served an eight-month ban following his admission of 232 breaches of betting rules between 2017 and 2021.

    Newcastle United's Sandro Tonali, meanwhile, is midway through a 10-month suspension for breaking the Italian Football Federation's gambling rules and was recently given a suspended two-month sanction over 50 breaches investigated by the FA.

  • Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona

    Barcelona midfielder Alexia Putellas has signed a two-year deal until 2026, the club announced on Thursday.

    Putellas was due to be out of contract next month, but extends her 12-year relationship with Barcelona, with the new deal also including an option for an additional season.

    The 30-year-old is a two-time Ballon d’Or winner in 2021 and 2022, though she has struggled with injuries that have kept her sidelined since winning the second.

    Overall, she has made 424 appearances, scoring a record 189 goals for the club, playing a pivotal role in Barcelona’s recent domination in women’s football.

    Putellas has won 29 major trophies with Barcelona and is looking for another on Saturday when they face Lyon in the Champions League final.

    Having already clinched Liga F, the Copa de la Reina and the Spanish Supercopa this season, Putellas can help Barcelona to complete an unprecedented quadruple with a win over the French champions.

  • Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad

    United States coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 27-man preliminary squad ahead of the Copa America.

    Josh Sargent, the Norwich City forward, has earned a recall to the USA squad for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Colombia, and is set to feature for his country for the first time since 2022.

    With first-choice right-back Sergino Dest injured, meanwhile, Berhalter has turned to Nashville SC's Shaq Moore in defence.

    Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Matt Turner, Weston McKennie and Brendan Aaronson are among the established names to feature.

    Former Arsenal forward Folarin Balogun, who opted to represent the USA rather than England, has also made the cut, as has Coventry City's Haji Wright, who has had a strong season in England's second tier.

    Berhalter explained Sargent had been called up to give him another option in attack, with Wright seen primarily as a wide option.

    "Between their club form and what they've done for the national team in the past, we think it's a talented group of strikers," he said.

    Giovanni Reyna, the 21-year-old Borussia Dortmund attacker who has been on loan at Nottingham Forest since January, has also been included, despite a feud between Berhalter and the playmaker's family in the wake of the World Cup.

    Antonee Robinson has had another impressive season with Fulham, and has been called up alongside club-mate Tim Ream.

    Former Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen was a notable omission, as were MLS stars Jesus Ferreira and Jordan Morris.

    "This summer presents an opportunity for us to progress and grow as a team as we continue to build towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup," Berhalter said.

    "We have a talented group of players and are excited about the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the world."

    Berhalter will cut down his squad after the friendlies, with Copa hosts USA taking on Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia in Group C.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.