Rumour Has It: Chelsea and Leicester reach agreement on Fofana fee

By Sports Desk August 27, 2022

Chelsea could finally be set for a transfer breakthrough after reportedly agreeing to meet Leicester City's demands of around £70million for centre-back Wesley Fofana.

Fofana, 21, has been a key target for Chelsea in their bid to replace Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen, who departed for Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona earlier in the transfer window.

While the Blues have already spent £33m to secure 31-year-old Kalidou Koulibaly – who has started all three of their Premier League fixtures this season – Fofana is yet to enter his prime and could provide defensive security for the next decade.

 

TOP STORY – LEICESTER ACCEPT CHELSEA'S NEWEST BID FOR FOFANA

According to L'Equipe, Chelsea's successful bid for Fofana includes add-ons which could make him the most expensive defender in the history of football, surpassing the £80m Leicester received from Manchester United for Harry Maguire.

Leicester had been publicly declaring Fofana was not for sale, but the situation was accelerated by the defender missing a training session, leading to him being told to train with the Foxes' under-23s.

Fofana is yet to receive his first senior cap for France, but the increased visibility that will come with a move to Stamford Bridge could tee him up for a breakthrough World Cup campaign in Qatar.
 

ROUND-UP

– Ajax star Antony has engaged in a stunning interview with Fabrizio Romano, declaring his time in the Eredivisie has run its course amid strong interest from Manchester United.

– Marca are reporting Cristiano Ronaldo has decided his best option is to return to Sporting CP, where he began his career, despite the need to take a significant pay cut should he leave United.

– According to Calciomercato, Liverpool are considering including Roberto Firmino in their offer to Paris Saint-Germain for 28-year-old midfielder Leandro Paredes.

– Sky Sports claim West Ham have had an offer in the vicinity of £51m accepted by Lyon for their 24-year-old creator Lucas Paqueta.

Chelsea are set to trigger the £12.6million release clause for Dynamo Moscow's 19-year-old midfielder Arsen Zakharyan, per the Daily Mail.

Related items

  • Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation

    Liverpool have contacted UEFA and Real Madrid to complain about their ticket allocation for March's Champions League last-16 clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jurgen Klopp's team were drawn to face the holders in a repeat of last season's final after finishing second to Serie A leaders Napoli in Group A last month.

    UEFA regulations say visiting teams are entitled to at least five per cent of tickets for Champions League matches, and reports suggest Madrid took the decision for March 15's second leg due to the impact of renovations at their historic home.

    However, a statement from Liverpool on Tuesday said their initial allocation of just 1,800 tickets was still "significantly less than expected" for the game.

    The statement continued: "The club has contacted UEFA and Real Madrid regarding the reduced allocation to understand the rationale behind this decision.

    "LFC will provide supporters with an update when the ticket allocation has been confirmed."

    Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Madrid at the Stade de France in May was overshadowed by the breakdown of security outside the stadium in Paris, with fans of the English club complaining of heavy-handed policing as kick-off was twice delayed.

  • Lazio hopeful of Milinkovic-Savic renewal as president defends Juventus amid Agnelli fallout Lazio hopeful of Milinkovic-Savic renewal as president defends Juventus amid Agnelli fallout

    Lazio are hopeful they can convince Sergej Milinkovic-Savic to renew with the Serie A outfit, says president Claudio Lotito.

    The Biancocelesti chief also weighed in on the fallout of Andrea Agnelli's resignation at Juventus, stating the club are "not evil".

    Milinkovic-Savic, who joined Lazio from Genk in 2015, has been one of their most crucial performers over the years, and was named as their player of the season for both of the last two campaigns

    Speaking at the Colalucci Awards, Lotito reinforced a hope to keep the Serbia international - currently under contract through 2024 - within Rome, highlighting him as a cornerstone of their squad under Maurizio Sarri.

    "From a technical point of view, Lazio have an interest in renewing him because he is a great player, a player on whom the club is betting," he stated.

    Lotito meanwhile spoke on the subject of Juventus and Agnelli, with the former Bianconceri president's resignation - alongside that of his entire board - amid investigations into financial matters the top story in Italian football.

    Rather than criticise them however, the 65-year-old suggested the club had been made a scapegoat of matters off the field.

    "Today everyone speaks badly of Juve, but they have contributed to the livelihood of Italian football," he added.

    "To say that Juve are the evil of Italian football is unfair. Today everyone goes out of their way to create dissent against Juventus."

  • In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027 In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027

    RB Leipzig have handed defender Mohamed Simakan a contract extension that runs to 2027 in a bid to ward off reported interest from several of Europe's biggest clubs.

    Simakan joined Leipzig from Strasbourg ahead of the 2021-22 season, playing a key role as the club won the DFB-Pokal for the first time in May.

    The likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Tottenham were credited with an interest in Simakan in the last transfer window, after the 22-year-old made 28 Bundesliga appearances last term.

    But Simakan started 19 of Leipzig's 24 games before the World Cup break this campaign and he believes the club represents the ideal place for him to continue developing.

    "It was a big step for me when I arrived at the club a year and a half ago," he told the club's website. "I felt happy here from day one and I was welcomed with open arms. 

    "That is really important for me as it allows me to perform on the pitch and to develop in the best possible way. 

    "The club and the city have quickly become my second home and I’m quite simply delighted to be here. 

    "We have already achieved a lot in 2022 and I'm looking forward to everything that is still to come."

    Leipzig have recovered from a poor start to the season since Marco Rose replaced Domenico Tedesco as head coach in September. They trail Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich by six points after 15 games.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.