BREAKING NEWS: Real Madrid confirm Rudiger deal as defender joins Champions League winners

By Sports Desk June 02, 2022

Real Madrid have announced the signing of Antonio Rudiger on a free transfer from Chelsea.

Thomas Tuchel confirmed after Chelsea's win over West Ham in April that Rudiger would be on the move when his contract expired at the end of the season after rejecting a new deal.

Chelsea were unable at the time to increase an offer they made to Rudiger due to the sanctions imposed on the club's owner Roman Abramovich by the United Kingdom government in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Madrid emerged as favourites to sign the in-demand Germany centre-back, who was also linked with the likes of Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.

Los Blancos on Thursday confirmed the 29-year-old defender has agreed terms on a four-year contract.

"On Monday, June 20, at 12:00 at Real Madrid City, the presentation ceremony for Antonio Rudiger as a new Real Madrid player will take place," Madrid added on their official website.

Rudiger joined Chelsea from Roma in July 2017 and established himself as a key man at the heart of the London club's defence.

He played a big part in their Champions League triumph in the 2020-21 season before lifting the FIFA Club World Cup and the UEFA Super Cup last year.

Rudiger was also an FA Cup winner in 2018 and Chelsea were crowned Europa League winners during his time at the club three years ago.

He joins a Madrid team who won LaLiga and Champions League titles in the season just ended.

Related items

  • Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation

    Liverpool have contacted UEFA and Real Madrid to complain about their ticket allocation for March's Champions League last-16 clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jurgen Klopp's team were drawn to face the holders in a repeat of last season's final after finishing second to Serie A leaders Napoli in Group A last month.

    UEFA regulations say visiting teams are entitled to at least five per cent of tickets for Champions League matches, and reports suggest Madrid took the decision for March 15's second leg due to the impact of renovations at their historic home.

    However, a statement from Liverpool on Tuesday said their initial allocation of just 1,800 tickets was still "significantly less than expected" for the game.

    The statement continued: "The club has contacted UEFA and Real Madrid regarding the reduced allocation to understand the rationale behind this decision.

    "LFC will provide supporters with an update when the ticket allocation has been confirmed."

    Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Madrid at the Stade de France in May was overshadowed by the breakdown of security outside the stadium in Paris, with fans of the English club complaining of heavy-handed policing as kick-off was twice delayed.

  • In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027 In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027

    RB Leipzig have handed defender Mohamed Simakan a contract extension that runs to 2027 in a bid to ward off reported interest from several of Europe's biggest clubs.

    Simakan joined Leipzig from Strasbourg ahead of the 2021-22 season, playing a key role as the club won the DFB-Pokal for the first time in May.

    The likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Tottenham were credited with an interest in Simakan in the last transfer window, after the 22-year-old made 28 Bundesliga appearances last term.

    But Simakan started 19 of Leipzig's 24 games before the World Cup break this campaign and he believes the club represents the ideal place for him to continue developing.

    "It was a big step for me when I arrived at the club a year and a half ago," he told the club's website. "I felt happy here from day one and I was welcomed with open arms. 

    "That is really important for me as it allows me to perform on the pitch and to develop in the best possible way. 

    "The club and the city have quickly become my second home and I’m quite simply delighted to be here. 

    "We have already achieved a lot in 2022 and I'm looking forward to everything that is still to come."

    Leipzig have recovered from a poor start to the season since Marco Rose replaced Domenico Tedesco as head coach in September. They trail Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich by six points after 15 games.

  • Gavi to match Pele with start against Morocco Gavi to match Pele with start against Morocco

    Gavi will be the youngest player since Pele to start in a World Cup knockout game when he takes to the field for Spain against Morocco.

    Luis Enrique's team go head to head with Morocco at Education City in a last-16 tie on Tuesday.

    Barcelona midfielder Gavi started all three of Spain's Group E matches and that trend continued as he was named in Luis Enrique's starting XI.

    At the age of 18 years and 123 days, he will be the youngest player to feature from the start of a World Cup knockout match since Brazil great Pele (aged 17 years and 249 days) in the 1958 final.

    Pele scored twice in that match as Brazil beat Sweden 5-2 to win the first of five world titles.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.