Cagliari suffer Serie A relegation as Salernitana survive for first time despite Udinese thrashing

By Sports Desk May 22, 2022

Cagliari were relegated from Serie A after only managing a draw against Venezia as Salernitana retained their top-flight status despite being thrashed by Udinese.

Salernitana looked in serious danger of going down when Davide Nicola took charge in February, sitting bottom of the table with three wins from 23 games.

Nicola inspired a resurgence, though, with his side picking up 15 points in a run of seven league games to head into the final matchday two points clear of Cagliari.

However, Udinese were rampant as Gerard Deulofeu, Ilija Nestorovski and Iyenoma Destiny Udogie put Nicola's side 3-0 down before half-time on Sunday.

Udinese captain Roberto Pereyra added a fourth after the interval as the Friulians achieved their best Serie A points haul (47) since the 2012-13 season (66).

That meant Cagliari would have stayed up with a win at already-relegated Venezia, but Alessandro Agostini's could only muster a draw as the Rossoblu were relegated to Serie B for the sixth time in their history.

Cagliari's failure handed Salernitana their first-ever Serie A survival, having failed to do so on their other two attempts in 1947-48 and 1998-99.

Salernitana also became the first team to stay up despite conceding at least 78 goals in a single top-flight campaign after Livorno (79 in 1929-30) and Lucchese (82 in 1947-48, 79 in 1949-50).

Meanwhile, Cagliari join Venezia and Genoa in Serie B and the trio will aim to bounce straight back up next season.

Related items

  • Safety the primary aim for crisis club Juventus as Allegri targets 40 points Safety the primary aim for crisis club Juventus as Allegri targets 40 points

    Massimiliano Allegri says Juventus' primary aim is to reach 40 points and ensure their place in Serie A for next season, with their 15-point deduction appearing to dash any top-four hopes.

    Juventus were considered one of the sides capable of challenging leaders Napoli before an investigation into their historic transfer dealings led to their sanction being handed down last month.

    Having picked up just one point from their last three league games, Juventus now sit 13th in the table, 10 points clear of the bottom three but 15 adrift of fourth-placed Lazio. 

    Speaking ahead of Tuesday's trip to 16th-placed Salernitana, who would leapfrog the Bianconeri with a win, Allegri was cautious when asked about his hopes for the remainder of the campaign. 

    "Right now the fact is that they have taken away 15 points and we must think about reaching 40 to save ourselves," Allegri said.

    "It's laughable, but we have to think about this goal first and proceed step by step. Setting ourselves goals now is unthinkable. 

    "Now we have to reach the teams in front of us and climb slowly. Tomorrow we have to win, because in the last three league games we have only scored one point."

    Juve will again be without Paul Pogba in Salerno after a minor injury delayed his second Bianconeri debut, while Leonardo Bonucci is also sidelined after suffering from a bout of flu.

    "Everyone is available apart from Bonucci who has had the flu for three days, Pogba as before, and [Leandro] Paredes has a foot injury and won't be there," he said. "All the others are present."

    Juve will likely need striker Dusan Vlahovic to return to top form if they are to climb the table, as he continues to chase his first goal of 2023.

    Vlahovic has failed to score in his two appearances since returning from the World Cup with a groin injury, with his last club goal coming at the home of neighbours Torino in mid-October.

    The Serbia international has thus scored each of his last eight Serie A goals in Turin (seven at the Allianz stadium and one at the Olimpico Grande Torino), last netting outside the city in a win at Cagliari last April.

    Asked whether the striker will start Tuesday's game, Allegri said: "I haven't decided yet, but I'll make the assessments. Physically he's fine, he's much lighter and more dynamic than when he arrived.

    "Let's hope he scores tomorrow. Vlahovic has never been as good physically as he is now, not even when he arrived from Fiorentina." 

  • LaLiga to investigate after Vinicius suffers more racist abuse in Mallorca loss LaLiga to investigate after Vinicius suffers more racist abuse in Mallorca loss

    LaLiga has launched an investigation after Vinicius Junior was again the target of "intolerable" racist abuse in Real Madrid's defeat at Real Mallorca on Sunday.

    Social media footage showed racist insults being shouted at Vinicius during Madrid's 1-0 loss at Son Moix, marking the latest in a string of similar incidents involving the Brazilian this season.

    Vinicius has been subjected to racist abuse before and during both of Madrid's meetings with cross-city rivals Atletico Madrid this season, while individuals were charged after similar incidents occurred at December's fixture against Real Valladolid. 

    A statement released by LaLiga on Monday read: "Given the events that occurred in the RCD Mallorca-Real Madrid match, in which once again intolerable racist insults were observed against Real Madrid player Vinicius Junior, LaLiga is putting all the technical means at its disposal and working with the local club to identify those responsible, with the aim of taking the appropriate legal measures.

    "LaLiga firmly condemns what happened and, as on previous occasions, will file the necessary complaints and appear in person to continue fighting, within its powers, against any type of racist act, behaviour or incident.

    "LaLiga has spent years fighting against this kind of behaviour and promoting the positive values of sport, not only on the pitch, but also off it."

    The league also called for supporters with any knowledge pertaining to the events to get in touch via a dedicated email address. 

    In December, Vinicius took to social media to accuse LaLiga of "doing nothing" to combat racist abuse from the stands, comments which drew a response from league president Javier Tebas.

    Tebas described Vinicius' complaints as "unfair and untrue" on Twitter, adding: "I've been fighting racism for years. We are at your disposal so that together, we can walk in the same direction."

    In the build-up to Madrid's Copa del Rey win over Atletico last month, social media images showed a mannequin, wearing a Vinicius shirt, hung by the neck from a bridge in the Spanish capital.

    Both clubs and the Confederacao Brasileira de Futebol (CBF) condemned the incident, with Los Blancos describing it as a "repugnant act of racism, xenophobia and hatred".

  • Pioli switch erased years of Milan work in derby loss, says Sacchi Pioli switch erased years of Milan work in derby loss, says Sacchi

    Stefano Pioli's decision to employ a three-man defence in Sunday's 1-0 derby defeat to Inter erased years of good work with the Rossoneri, according to legendary former boss Arrigo Sacchi.

    Lautaro Martinez's first-half goal condemned Milan to another chastening defeat at San Siro, meaning they have gone five league games without a win for the first time since 2018.

    Last season's Scudetto winners have now lost four consecutive games in all competitions, and they sit 18 points adrift of runaway leaders Napoli after slumping to sixth place in Serie A.

    Milan failed to attempt a single shot on target in the game after opting to match Inter's 3-5-2 system, and Sacchi says the Rossoneri no longer resemble a coherent side. 

    "Milan were no longer a team, especially in the first half. Inter did not play against an opponent, but against a sparring partner," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport on Monday.

    "Switching to a three-man defence created confusion and erased the last few years of work. Furthermore, any idea of the game was cancelled. 

     

    "How many shots on goal did Milan make in the first half? Zero. It was a monologue from Inter who didn't struggle too much and ended up dominating. 

    "Simone Inzaghi's players are almost all of a high level and all have great experience. You can only win against Inter if you play as a team, something that Milan did not do."

    Milan required 58 minutes to attempt a shot in Sunday's game, the latest point at which they have managed their first effort of a Serie A fixture on record (since the 2004-05 season), and mustered just four efforts, with none on target, for an accumulative expected goals (xG) of 0.3.

    They face Torino in their next league fixture on Friday, before hosting Tottenham in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie four days later.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.