Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Juventus could still be sanctioned for Super League support – Ceferin

By Sports Desk May 07, 2022

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin says the remaining Super League clubs Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus could yet face sanctions, also insisting they are free to form their own competition if they give up their places in the Champions League.

Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus were the only three founding clubs not to renounce their backing for the widely derided Super League after the breakaway project's collapse in April 2021.

Last month, a Madrid court lifted precautionary measures preventing UEFA from punishing the trio, who have continued to voice their backing for a new competition – to be governed by its founding clubs – despite the withdrawals of the other nine founding members.

Speaking to AS, Ceferin hinted sanctions against the trio could be on the horizon and hit out at the "incredible arrogance" of the clubs.

Ceferin, who assumed his post in 2016 after succeeding Michel Platini, also said the clubs were free to do whatever they liked, but would not be allowed to participate in UEFA competitions if the venture was revived.  

"Of course it's possible [to sanction the clubs] but let's see what happens," he said. "The only 'hello' UEFA got from them came from the courts, as they tried to challenge us everywhere. 

"We never said that they couldn't play their own competition, because they can if they want. But it's funny that these were the clubs that first registered in the Champions League. 

"If they play other tournaments, they cannot play in our competitions. That is not a monopoly. They can create their own UEFA and do what they think is right. 

"I showed them a lot of respect in the past. I don't want to talk about the president of Juventus [Andrea Agnelli], but my relationship with him was very open and honest. 

"I never said this before, but I invited the president of Madrid, Florentino Perez, to Nyon before it all happened to talk about future competitions. He called off the meeting with a text message just 24 hours earlier because of 'a basketball-related event'. With [former Barca president Josep Maria] Bartomeu I never spoke.

"Everyone had a chance to speak, and we've never been pushy or arrogant. The announcement of that project was an act of incredible arrogance on their part, and that's probably why they don't want to communicate with UEFA. 

"But that has never influenced how we treat them in our tournaments. You can see it in their successes: Real Madrid will play in the Champions League final and Barca will play in the Women's Champions League. That is a clear sign that our competitions are healthy, fair and correct.

"Football must remain open to all, and we will not back down one millimetre to defend the European sporting model. What they want is theirs, and they are free to get together and do what they want."

Amid their refusal to back down on their support for the Super League, Real Madrid will appear in their 17th European Cup/Champions League final later this month after a remarkable 6-5 aggregate triumph over Manchester City in the semi-finals.

Meanwhile, although UEFA has faced criticism for proposed Champions League reforms which could allow two qualification places to be awarded based on historical performances, Ceferin said the demise of the Super League made clear that continental football must remain open to all.

"I was glad it happened because it was always up in the air," he added. "When it finally came out, we ended once and for all with this nonsense that football can be bought, that football is only for the elite, only for the rich. 

"That will never happen. People warned me that the same people killed basketball, but I told them, 'Basketball is not football. It will never be football.' Football is part of our history. It is part of our traditions."

Related items

  • 'It's been too long without winning titles' - Lewandowski vows to end Barcelona's silverware drought 'It's been too long without winning titles' - Lewandowski vows to end Barcelona's silverware drought

    Robert Lewandowski has vowed great things are on the horizon for Barcelona, believing the Blaugrana have waited "too long" for silverware.

    The striker, who completed his €50million move from Bayern Munich last month, made his debut for the Catalan giants against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

    Although he failed to find the net in the goalless draw at Camp Nou, the Poland captain had a strike disallowed by VAR while he also hit the woodwork. 

    Barca are looking to regain the LaLiga title this season, having last donned the crown in 2018-19, while they finished 13 points behind eventual champions Real Madrid last term.

    Meanwhile, it is now 16 months since the Blaugrana's last taste of silverware; Lionel Messi's brace inspiring them to a 4-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao in the 2021 Copa del Rey final.

    But Lewandowski is convinced it is only a matter of time before the wait is over.

    "I think it's been too long for Barcelona without winning titles," he said via quotes reported in Marca. "I'm sure we're going to win them.

    "When I first knew that Barcelona were interested in bringing me to the club, at all times I thought it was the perfect time, for me and for the club.

    "I didn't want to play my whole life in one league. In the Bundesliga, everything went well, it was a good experience for me, but I knew it was another step for my career to go to LaLiga."

    Lewandowski will hope to open his Barca goalscoring account when Xavi's side travel to Real Sociedad on Sunday.

  • British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale

    Jim Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of Manchester United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, according to a spokesperson for the British billionaire.

    A lifelong United fan, INEOS majority shareholder Ratcliffe failed in a last-gasp £4.25billion bid to buy fellow Premier League side Chelsea back in May.

    The club's owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    Amid claims that the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake in the club, Ratcliffe would reportedly be willing to discuss a minority holding with the Glazers, but only if it was part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    The billionaire's spokesperson said that part of the potential investment could involve upgrading the infrastructure, including the Old Trafford stadium.

    "If the club is for sale, Jim is definitely a potential buyer," his spokesperson told The Times. "If something like this was possible, we would be interested in talking with a view to long-term ownership.

    "This is not about the money that has been spent or not spent. Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford.

    A trip to fierce rivals Liverpool follows on Monday.

  • Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links

    Juventus and Milan target Domenico Berardi has signed a new contract with Sassuolo that will keep him at the club until 2027.

    Berardi impressed again for Sassuolo in the 2021-22 season, scoring 15 times in Serie A – the third consecutive campaign the forward has posted double figures in the league.

    He also recorded the most assists in the Italian top flight (14) and was the only Serie A forward to manage double figures for both goals and assists.

    The 28-year-old has been at Sassuolo his entire career, but there had been suggestions recently that he could be tempted by a new challenge.

    He was linked to Juventus, who co-owned him between 2013 and 2015, while Liverpool and Milan were also among those reportedly interested in the Italy international.

    However, it was announced on Wednesday that he had pledged his future to the club for a further five years.

    Berardi was in the headlines for the wrong reasons last week after he was involved in a heated spat with a Modena fan.

    Sassuolo were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by their Serie B hosts at Stadio Alberto Braglia, with their loss followed by Berardi apparently chasing an opposing supporter outside the ground.

    The footage went viral, but Berardi took to social media to offer an explanation, suggesting his family had been targeted off the pitch to spark his ire.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.