Van Nistelrooy lands first senior managerial position with PSV

By Sports Desk March 30, 2022

Ruud van Nistelrooy will succeed Roger Schmidt as PSV boss from the start of next season, the Eredivisie heavyweights have announced.

The 45-year-old has previously spent time coaching PSV's Under-19s and their reserves, while also gaining further experience working as a first-team assistant coach.

Van Nistelrooy was part of the Netherlands' coaching set-up between 2014 and 2016 and again alongside Frank de Boer at Euro 2020.

He will now take on his first senior managerial role with PSV, whom he represented during a playing career that also saw him star for Manchester United and Real Madrid.

PSV, who announced last month that Schmidt will not be signing a new deal after two full seasons in charge, confirmed the news on their official website on Wednesday.

Van Nistelrooy, under contract at Philips Stadion until 2025, said he is fulfilling a life-long ambition of his to manage the 24-time Dutch champions.

"It has always been my dream to be head coach at PSV," he said. "I've worked intensively with Toon Gerbrands, PSV's current general manager, the past few seasons. 

"I was convinced I could pursue a professional coaching career and originally thought I needed one more year to gain experience. 

"But sometimes things do go their way and you find out that life is not completely manageable. This is the right moment to take the next step.

"The appointment of Marcel Brands as PSV's general manager and the conversation we've had were the final push I needed to make a conscious choice and take this step. 

"PSV are ready to embark on a new path this summer and I am ready to play my part. 

"Talks with the board of directors have reinforced the idea that we are ambitious and look to create something special in the long term. I am excited for the task in hand at PSV."

Van Nistelrooy scored 35 goals in 70 games for the Netherlands and 62 goals in the 67 matches for PSV between 1998 and 2001.

He went on to spend five years with United and four years at Madrid, before concluding his playing career with short stints at Hamburg and Malaga.

After embarking on a coaching career in 2014, PSV director John de Jong believes Van Nistelrooy is ready to make the step into senior management.

"All of us, including Marcel Brands, who will be PSV's new general manager this summer, have great confidence in his abilities," De Jong said. 

"He is a strong, inspirational leader and his commitment and work ethic will be second to none. 

"Van Nistelrooy has gained valuable experience within the PSV organisation but also with the national team and we are highly confident he is ready for his first senior role."

PSV, who are two points behind Ajax with seven Eredivisie games to go, also confirmed they intend to add to Van Nistelrooy's coaching staff in the coming months.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony

    Manchester United have reportedly tabled a €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony.

    Antony's agent has been trying to secure a move to United and the Premier League since the Eredivisie season ended, according to Goal.

    The Brazilian is coming off a season where he tallied eight goals and four assists in 23 league games, as well as another two goals and four assists in seven Champions League fixtures, showing he has what it takes at the highest level.

     

    TOP STORY – RED DEVILS MAKE BIG-MONEY MOVE FOR AJAX'S ANTONY

    Goal's report says the back-to-back Eredivisie champions are determined to hold onto Antony for another season, and with three years still remaining on his contract, Ajax are in control of the negotiations.

    United's offer has fallen well below Ajax's acceptable figure, which is said to be €80m, although the discussions are ongoing.

    The Old Trafford club are also linked with Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans, according to The Sun, as well as Napoli striker and hot commodity Victor Osimhen, who ESPN claims is fetching a price north of €100m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – Portuguese publication A Bola claims Chelsea are preparing a £38m for Sporting midfielder Matheus Nunes.

    – According to The Mirror, Everton have no plans to sell Dominic Calvert-Lewin after cashing in on Richarlison.

    Arsenal are looking to sell seven players, including Nicolas Pepe and Bernd Leno, to fund further moves in this transfer window, per The Sun.

    – According to Foot Mercato, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Sevilla and Napoli are all competing for Nice's 22-year-old French centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo.

    – Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Brentford have secured a €22m deal for Bologna's 20-year-old Scottish left-back Aaron Hickey.

  • Wilshere considering options going forward after departing Danish club AGF Wilshere considering options going forward after departing Danish club AGF

    Jack Wilshere is "considering all of my options" after the midfielder and Danish Superliga club AGF decided to mutually part ways after five months.

    The former Arsenal player arrived with the club in February on a short-term deal until the end of the season, making 14 appearances for the club that finished one point clear of relegation.

    Wilshere, 30, had been without a club since being released by Bournemouth following the 2020-21 Premier League season, and had been training with both Arsenal and Serie B club Como in an effort to stay sharp.

    In an Instagram post on Wednesday, he thanked the Danish club for taking a chance on him and providing an opportunity to play once again.

    "My time at [AGF] has come to an end," he wrote. "Myself and the club have mutually agreed it’s best for me to move on. 

    "I would like to thank everybody at AGF for the support and confidence they gave me from day one. The club showed trust in me that not many others were willing to give. 

    "Although results were hard to come by, the fans' support of me and the team was unbelievable. Thank you guys for welcoming me into your club and city. 

    "I wish you all the best in the future. Personally I am considering all of my options."

    AGF released a statement saying they "benefited from Jack Wilshere's great footballing and human qualities" and that "there has subsequently been a dialogue on continuing the cooperation, but after careful consideration, the parties have jointly come to the conclusion that the agreement will not be extended."

    AGF's sporting director Stig Inge Bjornebye added: "We all want to thank Jack for the time he has been in AGF. It has been a great pleasure to work with him and experience him and share his experiences from a very nice and special career."

  • Atletico Madrid snap up free agent Witsel Atletico Madrid snap up free agent Witsel

    Atletico Madrid have announced the signing of Axel Witsel on a free transfer following his departure from Borussia Dortmund.

    Witsel's BVB contract expired at the end of June after a four-year spell in Dortmund, and he has signed on for a single season at Atletico.

    Atletico had reportedly been keen on Boubacar Kamara but are said to have shifted focus to Witsel after the 22-year-old joined Aston Villa.

    Hector Herrera's departure to Houston Dynamo meant midfield reinforcements were a necessity for Diego Simeone.

    And in 33-year-old Witsel he has added experience and ability, with the Belgium international playing an important role at Dortmund right until his exit.

    Witsel made 29 Bundesliga appearances last season as Dortmund finished second to Bayern Munich, though it was long expected he would depart this year.

    Simeone will hope Witsel adds much-needed grit to a midfield that was often unconvincing last term, as Atletico's title defence never really got going.

    Spain will be the sixth country Witsel has played in during his distinguished career, having previously had spells in his native Belgium, Portugal, Russia, China and Germany.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.