Di Maria urged to play on in Europe despite expiring PSG contract

By Sports Desk March 29, 2022

Angel Di Maria should continue playing in Europe for another one or two seasons despite his uncertain future with Paris Saint-Germain.

That is the view of Di Maria's father Miguel as the winger reviews his career options.

Di Maria is expected to leave PSG when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United player has only started four times in Ligue 1 since the start of 2022 and his importance to the team appears to be diminishing.

Di Maria has three goals and three assists from 20 league appearances this season, but his father Miguel believes he still has more to do in Europe and should remain there with the World Cup approaching.

"I would like him to play one or two more years in Europe and then come back [to Argentina]," Miguel said to Radio La Red. 

"He is just 34 years old and he still has a career [at the highest level]. 

"He takes great care of himself, so he has to continue playing [in Europe]." 

Di Maria has had a successful seven seasons with PSG since arriving from Old Trafford in 2015 after a disappointing campaign in the Premier League.

He is closing in on a fifth Ligue 1 title with Mauricio Pochettino's men, but is now deciding on his next move as he nears the end of the one-year contract extension he signed in 2021.

Di Maria has also been pondering his future at international level.

The veteran said after scoring once and creating another goal in the 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Venezuela at La Bombonera on Friday that he had likely played for Argentina on home soil for the last time.

He thanked supporters and confirmed he would consider retiring from Argentina duty after the World Cup in Qatar at the end of this year.

"We talked later [that night] – I was very happy and he was very proud," added Miguel.

"It's on his mind and it all depends on him.

"I wish he could continue but from what he said that was his last game in Argentina and then it's Qatar and it's over, he's not going to play for Argentina anymore." 

Miguel added that when the time comes to return home, Di Maria still plans to do so with boyhood club Rosario Central.

"His idea is to come to Central for what remains in his career and finish the race – that's it for now," he said.

"He has already said retiring with Central [is his goal]. Hopefully he can achieve it. That is what he is lacking so far because he left here very young and could not enjoy anything."

Related items

  • Alonso pins Uruguay's World Cup exit on late penalty in Portugal defeat Alonso pins Uruguay's World Cup exit on late penalty in Portugal defeat

    Diego Alonso blamed Uruguay's World Cup exit on Portugal's last-gasp penalty in their second Group H game.

    La Celeste looked on course to reach the knockout stage on Friday with a 2-0 win over Ghana, yet South Korea's late winner against Portugal saw them progress at Uruguay's expense.

    Uruguay and South Korea had the same goal difference, but the latter went through courtesy of having scored more goals.

    However, Alonso does not think it should have come to that and lamented a contentious late penalty in their 2-0 defeat to Portugal, given against Jose Gimenez for handball.

    "We are out because of the penalty that Portugal got and the goals scored," he said.

    "We are not out because of the point against South Korea; we are out because of Portugal's penalty that FIFA said was a penalty. It was not a penalty."

    Giorgian de Arrascaeta scored twice after Andre Ayew had missed a penalty for Ghana, but it ended in disappointment for Uruguay, with Luis Suarez among those in tears at the full-time whistle. 

    Despite a disappointing early departure from Qatar 2022, Alonso was full of praise for the way his side acquitted themselves.

    "I was critical in the other matches as we missed the creativity," he added.

    "The second half against Portugal was really good. Today, I very much liked the team. We found our way, we were brave, not fearful, had the possession, and were able to link up.

    "Of course, I would have liked to see this version earlier in the tournament. I have nothing to say to my players because they broke their backs and gave their best.

    "Everyone could see what happened to us in the other matches. I know that my players gave it their all.

    "From the first day, I believed in my players and they responded on the pitch. I am very proud of what we did.

    "Everything we have done was spectacular. I deeply regret we are out, because I truly believe in these players and what we could achieve at this World Cup; their character, their determination."

    Alonso bristled at a suggestion from one journalist that his players did not do enough, stating: "I disagree. I can't allow you to say that, I'm very sorry.

    "The players made a huge effort every day, every match. They gave their utmost over the last year.

    "All the decisions they made in their clubs was based in the national interest. I can't allow you to say they did not break their backs."

  • 'We are no longer a top nation' – Badstuber calls for change after Germany's 'debacle' in Qatar 'We are no longer a top nation' – Badstuber calls for change after Germany's 'debacle' in Qatar

    Germany can no longer call themselves an elite football nation after enduring an "embarrassing" elimination from the World Cup, according to former defender Holger Badstuber.

    Hansi Flick's side finished third in a closely contested Group E despite beating Costa Rica 4-2 on Thursday, with Japan and Spain advancing after the Samurai Blue claimed a memorable 2-1 win over La Roja.

    Germany have now failed to reach the knockout stages at consecutive World Cups and have gone 12 major tournament games without a clean sheet – their longest ever such run.

    Writing in his World Cup column for Eurosport, Badstuber – a bronze medallist at the 2010 tournament – called for Germany to go back to basics.

    "It is a debacle. Weak, embarrassing, unworthy, disappointing," he said. "Our defence no longer has anything to do with world class, not even with European class. 

    "Defence wins titles. This old saying has not changed at all. Hansi Flick has to question himself, of course. I think he sees what's going wrong. 

    "At the press conference, he already addressed the deficiencies in the training of the defence, but the basic structure of the national team also needs to be questioned hard.

    "In the end, it was no longer about pure football, it was no longer about this game itself, about the association, not about the elite of German football. 

    "Germany is no longer elite. Germany is definitely no longer one of the top nations in world football. We are no longer a top nation."

    The form of Bayern Munich attacker Jamal Musiala has been one of the few positives to emerge from Germany's dismal campaign in Qatar, and Badstuber believes the teenager is the only player who escapes blame.

    "I would like to exclude Jamal Musiala from my criticism," Badstuber continued. "At 19, he is already a brutally good player.

    "I have to hold back, because I'm usually sparing with superlatives for such young players like him, but it's just pure pleasure to watch him. 

    "He is incredibly stable and always ready to work on the defensive side as well. It's great to have him in the team, he will bring a lot of joy to Germany's football."

  • FIFA releases footage and stands by decision over controversial Japan goal FIFA releases footage and stands by decision over controversial Japan goal

    FIFA has defended the VAR verdict that saw Japan score a controversial goal against Spain, knocking Germany out of the World Cup in the process.

    The video assistant referee ruled there was nothing wrong with Japan's winner in Thursday's game, scored by Ao Tanaka.

    Television replays cast some doubt on that decision, with Kaoru Mitoma crossing from a position where, from certain angles, the ball looked to have run off the pitch.

    Tanaka bundled the ball over the line, and a drawn-out VAR review ruled Brighton and Hove Albion player Mitoma had kept the ball in play.

    On Friday, FIFA blamed "misleading images" for appearing to point to the ball having fully left the boundaries of the pitch.

    The world governing body insisted its VAR integrity was as watertight as could be, with the video evidence it presented showing the whole of the ball had not crossed the dead-ball line, even though almost all of it had.

    Such replays had been a long time in coming, critics said, with a number of broadcast pundits questioning on Thursday why such forensic images were not shown during the game coverage, if they were made available to the VAR.

    FIFA's statement, issued on Twitter, read: "Japan's second goal in their 2-1 win over Spain was checked by VAR to determine if the ball had gone out of play. The video match officials used the goal line camera images to check if the ball was still partially on the line or not.

    "Other cameras may offer misleading images but on the evidence available, the whole of the ball was not out of play."

    The outcome of the game means Spain go forward to face Morocco in the last-16 stage, while Japan, as Group E winners, will take on Croatia, who were runners-up in Group F.

    Four-time champions Germany exited the tournament because of Japan's 2-1 win, with their own 4-2 success over Costa Rica proving nothing more than a consolation.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.