EPL

Ronaldo returns but Bruno Fernandes misses Man Utd clash with Tottenham as Tom Brady watches on

By Sports Desk March 12, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo was back in the Manchester United team to face Tottenham on Saturday after missing the derby drubbing, but there was no Bruno Fernandes.

The absence of Ronaldo for last Sunday's 4-1 defeat to Manchester City sparked a fresh wave of speculation about the 37-year-old's United future.

It was put down to a hip problem by interim manager Ralf Rangnick, but former United captain Roy Keane was among those who questioned whether that told the full story.

Ronaldo's Manchester derby absence came after a run of one goal and zero assists in 10 games for United in all competitions this calendar year. That compares to 12 goals and three assists in his opening 19 games upon returning to United from Juventus at the end of August.

He was restored for the visit of Spurs, but Portuguese compatriot Fernandes was surprisingly not involved, three days before United tackle Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie.

Rangnick said: "Bruno is ill, unfortunately. He couldn't train yesterday and is therefore not available for the game. Hopefully, he will be back for Tuesday but, today, he is out."

NFL legend Tom Brady, a friend of Tottenham striker Harry Kane, was at Old Trafford for the game.

There was a United start for Marcus Rashford, whose own future has been cast into doubt by reports suggesting he could seek a move at the end of the season. He replaced Anthony Elanga, while Edinson Cavani was named on the bench after recent fitness worries.

Goalkeeper David De Gea featured for the home side after a COVID-19 false positive, while Raphael Varane was back from a coronavirus absence to start alongside Harry Maguire in central defence.

Rangnick told MUTV: "We had a false positive test on David De Gea last night. We then decided to have a second test that was negative and then a PCR test that was negative again, and that's why we can play him after all."

Related items

  • Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

    Mohamed Salah has ended speculation over his future by signing a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

    The Egypt forward only had a year remaining on his previous deal with the Reds and could have departed as a free agent after the 2022-23 season.

    Liverpool on Friday revealed Salah has agreed to extend his successful stay at Anfield until 2025.

    The 30-year-old helped the Reds win the FA Cup and EFL Cup last season, while they also reached the Champions League final and finished second in the Premier League.

    He finished level with Son Heung-min as the Premier League's top scorer in the 2021-22 campaign, but his Liverpool future appeared to be in the balance as negotiations over a new deal dragged on.

    Salah's decision to remain on Merseyside is a huge boost for Jurgen Klopp’s side after the departure of Sadio Mane to Bayern Munich.

    He told Liverpool's official website: "I feel great and [I am] excited to win trophies with the club. It’s a happy day for everyone."

    Salah scored 31 goals and provided 15 assists in 51 appearances for the Reds last season.

    He scored 23 of those goals in the top flight as Liverpool pushed Manchester City all the way in the title race, only missing out on the final day when Pep Guardiola's team came from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa and regain the trophy.

    Salah had been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but his stint with Liverpool is far from over, as he prepares for a sixth season with the Reds, having arrived from Roma in 2017.

  • Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax

    Andre Onana has fulfilled a dream after completing his move to Inter.

    Inter confirmed the signing of the Cameroon international on Friday, the day after his contract with Ajax – where he has spent the past six years – came to an end.

    Last season's Serie A runners-up did not announce the length of Onana's deal, but it is reported to run through until the end of the 2026-27 campaign.

    Onana becomes Inter's fourth signing of the window, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Kristjan Asllani and Romelu Lukaku also arriving, the latter two on loan.

    "Dreams come true," Onana posted on his official Twitter page. "Super excited to join my new club, Inter.

    "I want to thank the president, the whole board of Inter, the coach and my own team for making my dream reality."

    Onana, who served a nine-month suspension last year after taking a banned substance, will provide competition for Samir Handanovic at San Siro.

    He becomes the fourth Cameroonian to play for Inter after Samuel Eto'o, Daniel Maa Boumsong and Pierre Wome, and their first African goalkeeper.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal BREAKING NEWS: Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

    Mohamed Salah has ended speculation over his future by signing a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.