EPL

Tuchel does not rule out January additions for Chelsea

By Sports Desk January 21, 2022

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has not ruled out making a signing in the remainder of the January transfer window, but stopped short of making any guarantees.

The Blues have seen their title charge come to a grinding halt in recent games, having not won any of their last four Premier League outings and only claiming victory twice from their last nine.

They now sit 12 points behind leaders Manchester City having played a game more, and a point behind second-placed Liverpool having played two games more.

When asked at a news conference ahead of Sunday's game against Tottenham whether any January additions are likely, Tuchel replied: "I cannot say no to it. Also, I am not convinced it is a clear yes. Let's wait and see."

The game with Spurs at Stamford Bridge will be Chelsea's 16th since the start of December, and Tuchel believes that the hectic schedule coupled with injuries has played a significant part in his team's drop in form.

"The schedule that we had in particular was a bit too much," he said. "At the same time we struggled with injuries, first in midfield then in the second period it was strikers and now it's suddenly all defenders who are out. Yeah, it's a bit awkward.

"We struggled to deal with it and find the same rhythm, find the same consistency in our results... but still the way we played and approached the games was always okay."

Following a 1-0 defeat at Manchester City last weekend and a 1-1 draw at Brighton on Tuesday, the former Borussia Dortmund coach gave his players two days off in preparation for the Spurs game, and confessed that he spent his time at the dentist.

"You really disconnect at the dentist," he said. "It is hard to think about football when you are in the dentist chair.

"We needed [a break]. And I meant all of us. This is a team effort and I felt that the team was mentally tired, which I could understand. I felt them disappointed and frustrated after the result at City and it was harder for us to overcome the obstacles that for us are normal to overcome.

"There are reasons for it. Reasons that we talked about, reasons for which we cannot be blamed.

"I know it is always like this and we don’t want to make excuses, but we want to be adult enough and honest enough to look at the reasons why we feel this kind of fatigue."

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: Mbappe stays at Paris Saint-Germain and turns down Real Madrid BREAKING NEWS: Mbappe stays at Paris Saint-Germain and turns down Real Madrid

    Kylian Mbappe has decided to stay at Paris Saint-Germain, turning down Real Madrid in a stunning move that few saw coming.

    Los Blancos made multiple bids for Mbappe in 2021, but all were turned down by PSG.

    Madrid had been widely expected to sign Mbappe as a free agent, with reports earlier this month claiming the deal was all but done.

    Mbappe was voted Ligue 1 player of the season for a third successive time last week, before declaring at the Union Nationale des Footballeurs Professionnels award ceremony in Paris that he would resolve his future before France's Nations League fixtures in June.

    However, in an extraordinary twist, reports circulated that Mbappe had in fact decided to take up PSG's offer of a new contract and remain in the French capital.

    His mother and agent confirmed on Friday that agreements had been reached with both clubs and, on Saturday before PSG's season-ending game against Metz, it was confirmed Mbappe would be staying put. He has signed a three-year deal.

    Mbappe was paraded on the pitch before the game at Parc des Princes, with a "2025" shirt.

    The 23-year-old has enjoyed another stellar campaign, scoring 36 goals and providing 21 assists across all competitions for PSG.

    Mbappe is the club's second-highest goalscorer, behind Edinson Cavani, having overtaken Zlatan Ibrahimovic when he netted for the 157th time in a PSG shirt earlier this season.

    Despite their wealth, PSG keeping hold of Mbappe is a huge coup for the Ligue 1 champions.

    PSG's efforts to win the Champions League again fell short this term, despite Mbappe's sensational performance over two legs against Madrid, but with the forward still on board, alongside Lionel Messi and Neymar, European success will again be the priority target in 2022-23.

  • Mbappe deal will 'make things change at PSG' as Leonardo, Pochettino futures questioned Mbappe deal will 'make things change at PSG' as Leonardo, Pochettino futures questioned

    Kylian Mbappe's anticipated contract extension will bring significant change to Paris Saint-Germain with doubt cast over the futures of Leonardo and Mauricio Pochettino by former midfielder Jerome Rothen. 

    It was widely reported on Saturday that World Cup-winning forward Mbappe had opted to snub Real Madrid and prolong his stay at PSG for another three years. 

    The news was shortly followed by claims it could spell the end of Leonardo's tenure as sporting director, while Pochettino's position as head coach was also brought into question. 

    Former France international Rothen thinks the process with Mbappe has brought issues that need fixing to PSG's attention, and that they will be sorted as part of the agreement. 

    "I think all his questions have been answered and that changes will be announced. By agreeing to extend, he will make things change," Rothen told RMC Sport. 

    "He can't be seen as the one that will make heads roll. The project of Leonardo, the sporting director, was a failure and on a downward trajectory. 

    "If Mbappe wants a new sporting project, automatically you have heads that will roll. There will be a lot of departures, and I even think that some will be surprised at who goes. 

    "The leaders have become aware of the situation and all the dissatisfaction of the supporters will be lifted. This is good news for everyone." 

    PSG conclude their triumphant Ligue 1 campaign at home to Metz on Sunday. 

  • 'An insult to football' – LaLiga chief Tebas furious as Mbappe chooses PSG over Real Madrid 'An insult to football' – LaLiga chief Tebas furious as Mbappe chooses PSG over Real Madrid

    LaLiga chief Javier Tebas took a swipe at Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi as it emerged Real Madrid have missed out on Kylian Mbappe, claiming the Qatari was "as dangerous as the Super League". 

    The Spanish league did not have sufficient appeal to persuade Mbappe to give up the riches on offer at PSG, as reports on Saturday said the 23-year-old has picked Paris over Madrid. 

    Al-Khelaifi has been president at PSG since October 2011, with Qatar Sports Investments orchestrating dramatic change at the French club, bringing a host of global superstars to the Parc des Princes. 

    He resisted pushing PSG into the controversial European Super League project, but the enormous investment in the club has not gone unquestioned. They have been able to attract the likes of Neymar, Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos away from LaLiga. 

    LaLiga president Tebas has now questioned how PSG can afford to offer World Cup winner Mbappe what is expected to be one of the biggest deals in the history of football. 

    Cadena Cope radio show Tiempo de Juego has claimed LaLiga could launch a complaint against PSG over the renewal of Mbappe, questioning whether the Ligue 1 champions are operating within financial fair play limits. 

    Tebas wrote on Twitter: "What PSG are going to do by renewing Mbappe with large amounts of money (namely where and how they pay him) after giving losses of €700m in recent seasons and having more than €600m of salary bill, is an INSULT to football. Al-Khelaifi is as dangerous as the Super League." 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.