Umtiti set for surgery on fractured metatarsal at Barcelona

By Sports Desk January 17, 2022

Samuel Umtiti has fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot just a week after agreeing a contract extension at Barcelona, the club announced on Monday.

Umtiti had appeared to be on his way out of Camp Nou this month until a shock new deal was sealed to keep him in Catalonia until 2026.

The World Cup winner, whose previous contract was set to expire in 2023, was linked with a host of clubs, including big-spending Newcastle United.

Instead, Barca kept Umtiti on board when he agreed to a temporary pay decrease that allowed new signing Ferran Torres to be registered.

Whether Umtiti was subsequently set to see his involvement in the first team increase – having appeared in 18 matchday LaLiga squads this season but played just once – will for now remain a mystery, however.

Monday brought news of a serious injury for the France international that will require surgery.

"The first team player Samuel Umtiti took a blow to his right foot in training on Monday and has fractured his fifth metatarsal bone," a club statement read.

"The player will undergo surgery on Tuesday with doctor Antoni Dalmau and with the club's medical services supervising. Another press release will be issued when the surgery has taken place."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eye Chilwell as Cancelo replacement Rumour Has It: Man City eye Chilwell as Cancelo replacement

    Manchester City might be searching for a new left-back following Joao Cancelo's departure to Bayern Munich.

    Cancelo, a star of City's last few seasons, joined Bayern on loan earlier this week having fallen out of favour with Pep Guardiola.

    Bayern have the option to make that move permanent at the end of the season, meaning City could well be in the market for a replacement.

    TOP STORY – Chilwell to join City from Chelsea?

    The Times is reporting that City could target Ben Chilwell, the Chelsea full-back, to replace Cancelo.

    England international Chilwell has had an injury-disrupted season and missed the World Cup due to a hamstring issue.

    However, he would fit the mould when it comes to the attacking full-backs that Guardiola employs.

    If City have a big windfall to play with from a potential Cancelo sale, could a fresh start in the north west be on the cards for Chilwell?

    ROUND-UP

    – The Mail and The Athletic are reporting that Everton are looking to make amends for their fruitless January transfer window by signing free agent Andre Ayew to address their striker concerns. Nottingham Forest are also said to be in talks with the attacker, who last played for Al Sadd in Qatar.

    – According to The Times, Everton could also target former Real Madrid midfielder Isco after his move to Union Berlin fell through.

    – Sky Germany reports Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino is close to signing an extension at Anfield, with his current deal expiring at the end of this campaign.

    Paris Saint-Germain are said to be "furious" with Chelsea after Hakim Ziyech's loan move to the Parc des Princes fell through.

    Barcelona coach Xavi insisted that they wish to build around Raphinha in the future, after the Brazil winger was linked with a move away from Camp Nou.

    – Phil Hay of The Athletic detailed how Leeds United's Jack Harrison had a medical at Leicester City before a switch to the King Power Stadium broke down on deadline day.

  • Mourinho laments 'horrible' first half as Roma suffer Coppa Italia upset Mourinho laments 'horrible' first half as Roma suffer Coppa Italia upset

    Jose Mourinho said Roma deserved to pay for a "horrible" first-half performance in Wednesday's surprise 2-1 Coppa Italia quarter-final defeat against Cremonese.

    Cremonese – who are without a win in Serie A this season – took a two-goal lead in Rome through Cyriel Dessers' penalty and Zeki Celik's own goal, before holding on after Andrea Belotti pulled one back late on.

    Having also stunned Napoli in the previous round, Cremonese became the first promoted Serie A side to reach the Coppa Italia's final four since Cagliari in the 2004-05 campaign.

    Mourinho made a remarkable quadruple substitution at half-time after storming down the tunnel early, and he said the Giallorossi could have no complaints following their dire start.

    "Congratulations to Cremonese. They have achieved two great victories against Napoli and Roma, it's a strange cup that favours small teams, they have even more merit for this," he said.

    "They are deservedly in the semi-final, we pay for a horrible first half, of a low level.

    "I can say that this squad struggles with rotation, with three matches in a week, but let's think about this single match, and in the first half we deserved to pay the price.

    "Football is like this, this happens with the top teams and with the smaller teams. In Naples [in Sunday's 2-1 loss at Napoli] we deserved more and for this I was proud, even after the defeat. 

    "Today I can't say, others can comment. My job is to think about the next game.

    "After more than a thousand games as a coach, I prefer to be objective and say that we played badly and we paid. We are a team and I don't want to make a single person responsible."

    Mourinho was also asked about Nicolo Zaniolo, who asked to be welcomed back into the fold via an open letter on Wednesday after requesting a move during the January transfer window.

    Having described the likelihood of Zaniolo remaining at the Stadio Olimpico as "unfortunate" last week, Mourinho was unwilling to discuss the 23-year-old's future, saying: "The ownership was very clear and I won't make any kind of comment."

  • Xavi ranks Pedri alongside Iniesta as Barcelona go eight points clear with Betis win Xavi ranks Pedri alongside Iniesta as Barcelona go eight points clear with Betis win

    Xavi singled out Pedri for praise after Barcelona went eight points clear at the top of LaLiga by beating Real Betis, comparing the midfielder to Spain's "greatest talent" Andres Iniesta.

    Goals from Raphinha and Robert Lewandowski boosted Barca's title bid as they clinched a 2-1 win at the Estadio Benito Villamarin on Wednesday, with the Blaugrana hanging on after Jules Kounde's late own goal.

    While Pedri missed two decent opportunities before Raphinha's opener, the 20-year-old created two chances and managed a game-high 30 passes in the final third during an impressive display.

    Speaking after Barca piled more pressure on title rivals Real Madrid – who host Valencia on Thursday – Xavi heaped praise on the diminutive midfielder.

    "He is a player who is on another level, I have seen very few like him," Xavi said. "He is talented, he is at the level of Iniesta, but Andres had a continuity to the point that he is still playing. 

    "Andres is the greatest talent I've seen in Spanish football but Pedri is very similar to him. He can make a difference, he is already doing it."

    Pedri was not the only young player to shine for Barca, as Alejandro Balde recorded his fourth assist of the season from left-back to tee up Raphinha's goal.

    Bayern Munich's Jamal Musiala (six) is the only player aged under 20 to create more goals for team-mates in Europe's top-five leagues this term, leaving Xavi excited by the teenage full-back's potential.

    "I'm very happy for Balde, he has tremendous potential both in defence and in attack," Xavi said. "He gives us superiority by driving and that is very difficult to see in football.

    "He has to exploit his potential even more, we encourage him to be transcendent, he is both a full-back and a winger at times. 

    "Luckily we have three spectacular full-backs in Marcos [Alonso], [Jordi] Alba and Balde. He's so young and has this capacity, it is a joy to see him play." 

    Barca's victory took them to 50 points after 19 games of the campaign. The Blaugrana have brought up a half-century of points by the season's midway mark on five previous occasions (in 2008-09, 2010-11, 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2017-18), only failing to win the title once when doing so (in 2013-14).

    However, Betis coach Manuel Pellegrini felt his side matched the leaders and had been undone by a free-kick being taken from the wrong position in the build-up to the opener.

    "It was a balanced game that anyone could win and it was decided by two set-pieces. The first goal is controversial," the former Manchester City boss said.

    "First it was a foul on Aitor Ruibal and it was not given, then they took the foul 20 metres further forward than they should have and caught us off guard."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.