EPL

Guardiola lauds 'exceptional' Man City and Liverpool ahead of Chelsea clash

By Sports Desk January 14, 2022

Pep Guardiola insisted consistency is the only reason for Manchester City's sizeable lead at the Premier League summit, as he hailed the "exceptional" nature of his side and their long-time rivals Liverpool.

City host Chelsea on Saturday as first take on second, though Guardiola's side currently hold a 10-point advantage, with Liverpool 11 behind in third place.

Following their 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge earlier this season, City are looking to secure the Premier League double over Chelsea for the fourth time, previously doing so in 2009-10, 2015-16 and 2017-18.

They have won their last 11 Premier League games, their fifth such run of 11 or more consecutive victories in the competition.

However, despite his team's healthy lead, Guardiola does not believe Chelsea or Liverpool have dropped off. Instead, he credits City with finding another level of consistency.

"The Premier League is the strongest," he told reporters. 

"We are here now because we were consistent, especially in the toughest month in December, when there were many games and how we overcame the tough situations we had in the squad, problems with injuries and COVID.

"We got results playing really good, but also not good, like against Arsenal how we were able to win. We were consistent. This is the reason why, no secrets.

"My opinion about Liverpool and Chelsea does not change one bit. They are more than excellent teams. One is the champion of Europe, the other is the biggest rival in the last two, three, four seasons.

"Football changes quickly. What you have to do is rise and increase a bit our football compared to the last two teams we've played. We'll have to do it tomorrow to compete."

Guardiola then enthused about the continued level of performance of both City and Liverpool, who have had a thrilling rivalry in recent seasons, adding: "I have to say it was because Liverpool and City were exceptional, not because the others were wrong.

"[Manchester] United were close I remember one year with [Jose] Mourinho, and last season, but we were exceptional. What Liverpool and City have done in the last four years has never been seen before in this country.

"Antonio Conte with Chelsea started a little bit in my first season here but after that Liverpool and City made a step, and I think the other opponents did well, Chelsea, United, Tottenham, but Liverpool and City were out of this world.

"I'm proud, after six years together, five years of success, that in January we are competing in every single game. That is an incredible credit to these exceptional players. My job is to put my words behind them, tell them the truth, that's what I need to continue."

Guardiola did, however, hit out at the suggestion City had been fortunate with COVID-19, something which Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel both claimed.

"It's a situation that's all around the world. We've had injuries, COVID," said Guardiola, who was one of 21 members of City's squad to miss last week's FA Cup win over Swindon Town after testing positive.

"We had a lot of people with COVID. At the beginning of the season we've had a lot of incredibly tough injuries for our players. They believe we were lucky - okay, we were lucky. The thing is the pandemic is all around the world, we are exposed to the virus, we are not the exception.

"If they believe this is the reason why... maybe. Sometimes it's the money we have, sometimes it's COVID."

Saturday's game is just the second between City and Chelsea in the Premier League in which they are the top two teams. The other such match finished 1-1 in 2015.

After beating Liverpool 4-0 in July 2020, and Chelsea 1-0 earlier this season, City are looking to become the fourth English club to win three consecutive meetings with reigning European champions in all competitions, after Notts County (1982), Tottenham Hotspur (1983-84) and Everton (1984-85).

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Atletico Madrid reject Man Utd's club-record £110m bid for Joao Felix Rumour Has It: Atletico Madrid reject Man Utd's club-record £110m bid for Joao Felix

    Manchester United are under pressure to make some signings amid their poor start to the new Premier League season.

    The Red Devils have lost their opening two league games under new boss Erik ten Hag.

    United have only brought in a few players this off-season and are in need for reinforcements.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD DECLINED BY ATLETICO IN JOAO FELIX BID

    Atletico Madrid have rejected a bumper £110million (€130m) bid from Manchester United for Portuguese forward Joao Felix, claims AS.

    Atleti have reportedly inserted a staggering €350m (£295m) release clause in the 22-year-old's contract.

    United's reported bid is a club record, £25m more than the fee they paid Juventus for Paul Pogba in 2016.

    ROUND-UP

    United want to sign five more players this transfer window reports the Telegraph and have a shortlist of potential signings with Borussia Dortmund's Thomas Meunier, Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic, Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Barcelona's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Everton goalkeeper Asmir Begovic is also on their radar to provide a back-up to David de Gea.

    Paris Saint-Germain have not given up in a pursuit of Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva and are plotting a €71m (£59m) move for him, according to The Times.

    Napoli are closing in on a deal to sign Sassuolo's 22-year-old forward Giacomo Raspadori reports Calciomercato. It is claimed he will join Napoli by the end of the week.

    Nottingham Forest's busy window continues with the newly promoted Premier League club chasing Madrid right-back Alvaro Odriozola, according to AS.

    Brighton and Hove Albion want a permanent move for Chelsea midfielder Billy Gilmour, reports the Daily Mail. 

  • Wolves complete club-record Nunes signing Wolves complete club-record Nunes signing

    Wolves have confirmed the acquisition of Matheus Nunes for a club-record transfer fee.

    Nunes, a Brazilian-born Portugal international, has signed a five-year deal at Molineux after arriving from Sporting CP.

    It has been reported that Wolves are paying an initial £38million (€45m), with add-ons potentially taking the fee to £42.2m (€50m).

    The 23-year-old has been linked with a Premier League move over the last year, and follows Nathan Collins and Goncalo Guedes as Wolves' third signing of the transfer window.

    Bruno Lage will have the midfielder, who scored in his final match for Sporting, at his disposal for Saturday's trip to Tottenham.

    Capable of playing in any central role in midfield, Nunes is relishing the chance to play in the Premier League.

    "I'm very excited. For me, I could play tomorrow already, but I can't because the game is Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it," Nunes told Wolves' official website.

    "I think the club itself [convinced me] and also I spoke to some of my team-mates because I play with them for the national team.

    "The coach as well, he really wanted me, and I wanted to play in the Premier League. I think it's the right next step for me, and I'm very happy to be here."

    Lage has elected to stray away from the three-at-the-back system with which Wolves have become so familiar in recent seasons, a move that also facilitated club captain Conor Coady leaving to Everton on loan.

    Wolves lost to Leeds United in their opening game before drawing with newly promoted Fulham, and Nunes will be hoping to impress in order to seal his place in Portugal's World Cup squad.

    He added: "I just want to enjoy myself and deliver to the fans' expectations, help the club and try to make them enjoy our football."

  • Physically, I feel good - Kawhi Leonard shares update as Clippers step up NBA season preparations Physically, I feel good - Kawhi Leonard shares update as Clippers step up NBA season preparations

    Los Angeles Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard says he feels good as he closes in on his long-awaited return from injury ahead of the 2022-23 NBA season.

    The two-time NBA Finals MVP missed the entire of the last campaign due to an ACL injury sustained in game four of the 2021 Western Conference Semi-Finals against the Utah Jazz. 

    The Clippers certainly felt Leonard's absence as they missed out on the play-offs, losing to the Minnesota Timberwolves and New Orleans Pelicans in the play-in tournament.

    The small forward averaged 24.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and a career-high 5.2 assists per game in the 2020-21 regular season, having averaged a personal best of 27.1 points the previous term - his first with the Clippers.

    In a compilation video posted on the franchise's social media channels, which featured several clips of him in the gym, Leonard could be heard saying: "Physically, I feel good."

    The 31-year-old will hope to make his return when the Clippers launch their 2022-23 campaign against the Los Angeles Lakers on October 20.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.