Fiorentina complete reported €15m swoop for Lille forward Ikone

By Sports Desk December 31, 2021

Fiorentina have agreed a deal to sign Jonathan Ikone from Lille for a reported €15 million fee.

Ikone played 150 games for Lille across all competitions, scoring 16 goals and assisting 26 times as he helped Les Dogues to the Ligue 1 title last term and top spot in their Champions League group this campaign.

The 23-year-old, known for his versatility across the frontline, had two years left to run on his current contract but has signed for Fiorentina on a reported five-year deal.

Lille allowed Ikone to train with the Serie A outfit in preparation for the move, which will officially go through on Monday when the transfer window opens.

The arrival of former Paris Saint-Germain man Ikone furthers speculation as to the future of Viola striker Dusan Vlahovic, who has been linked to numerous clubs among Europe's elite.

Reports suggest Manchester City are among the suitors for Vlahovic, who enjoyed a record-equalling 2021 as he netted 33 times to match Cristiano Ronaldo's Serie A haul in 2020.

Gunnar Nordahl's 36-goal year for Milan in 1950 marks the last time any player scored more than 33 in the Italian top flight across a calendar year.

Whether Ikone slots in behind Vlahovic or has been signed as a replacement remains to be seen, however, Fiorentina's acquisition will offer Vincenzo Italiano an alternate attacking option in his forward line.

Ikone ranks far above any of his Lille team-mates for dribbles attempted this Ligue 1 campaign (61), with Jonathan Bamba in second with 44, while only Jonathan David (17) has created more chances than the France international (16).

Related items

  • 'He's already the best in France' – Ronaldinho says Mbappe will continue making history after agreeing PSG stay 'He's already the best in France' – Ronaldinho says Mbappe will continue making history after agreeing PSG stay

    Kylian Mbappe is already the best player in France and can continue to make history after signing his new contract with Paris Saint-Germain, according to Ronaldinho.

    Last week, Mbappe agreed a new three-year deal with the Ligue 1 champions, rejecting Real Madrid's public advances in a huge transfer blow to the Champions League finalists.

    The World Cup-winning forward scored 39 goals and added 21 assists during a remarkable individual season with PSG, as Mauricio Pochettino's team secured a10th league title in the club's history.

    The 23-year-old is already the second-highest Ligue 1 goalscorer in PSG history, scoring 171 goals in 217 league outings for the Parisian giants – only Edinson Cavani (200 goals in 301 games) has more.

    Former PSG star Ronaldinho, who scored 25 goals in two seasons with the club before departing for Barcelona in 2003, says Mbappe is already out-shining team-mates Lionel Messi and Neymar.

    However, Ronaldinho also insisted PSG would have been able to cope had the France star left for Madrid, highlighting the quality of his team-mates.

    "Right now, of the future... he's a player that could be part of history," he told Mail Online. "He deserves all the respect he's getting. He is making history and can continue to create happiness for us in this game.

    "Today he is the best player for PSG. If he left to go anywhere else, it would only be to have the chance to be the best player in another country. He's already the best in France.

    "Paris Saint-Germain has some of the best players in the world right now – Messi, Neymar, Sergio Ramos. 

    "Some of the best players in the world are in this team. So, if one of the best players in the world leaves, other top players will continue in their place."

    Meanwhile, Ronaldinho's former Barcelona team-mate Messi endured a mixed first season in France, recording 11 goals and 14 assists in all competitions but being jeered by his own fans in the aftermath of March's Champions League defeat to Madrid.

    However, Ronaldinho insists the Argentine is happy in Paris, highlighting his 2021 Ballon d'Or win as evidence of his continued quality.

    The former Camp Nou star also insists Barcelona will recover from Messi's departure and return to the top of the game under Xavi's management, backing the Blaugrana boss to create another "beautiful" team.

    'If my friend is happy, it's the right decision, and I believe he is very happy," Ronaldinho said of Messi. "He is going through a period of adapting, but he's already been voted the best player in the world.

    "People said they were surprised when I left Barcelona and when Messi left. But Barcelona continues to be Barcelona. 

    "Things change in football, naturally. Now the club's hierarchy needs to bring in new players with talent to continue being successful.

    "They already have a great coach who has a foundation in the history of the club. So, the club can begin it's rebuild with this manager to create a beautiful team. They need to now give the manager the opportunity to build a great team.

    "It won't be easy. They need a bit more time to build a side that is based around the best players. But I think players are happy to be playing for one of the best teams in the world."

  • Braaf follows Sancho path by leaving Man City for Dortmund Braaf follows Sancho path by leaving Man City for Dortmund

    Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Manchester City youngster Jayden Braaf on a free transfer as the Bundesliga side's recruitment drive continues.

    Braaf announced on Thursday that he would leave City, where he was offered limited first-team chances after joining from the PSV youth academy in 2018.

    The 19-year-old was previously linked to a move to Dortmund in 2020 but ended up joining Udinese on loan, scoring once in four appearances before a knee ligament injury ruled him out for a year.

    Dortmund confirmed on Friday that they have captured the promising winger on a three-year deal, Braaf following in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Jamie Bynoe-Gittens, who traded City for the Bundesliga side.

    Braaf's arrival marks another new addition for Dortmund, who signed Karim Adeyemi to help replace the City-bound Erling Haaland, while also bringing in Niklas Sule, Nico Schlotterbeck and Salih Ozcan.

    "Jayden, whose development we have been following closely for years, has shown in the past that he can be a difference player with his pace and talent," soon-to-be sporting director Sebastian Kehl said.

    "After more than a year out through injury, he will certainly need time to regain his former strength and fully establish himself in men's football. 

    "We want to give him this time and gently introduce him. If Jayden masters the phase ahead of him and stays clear, we have a great talent on board in him."

    Dortmund, who appointed Edin Terzic as Marco Rose's successor for the next term, have also signed Alexander Meyer on a two-year contract from 2. Bundesliga side SSV Jahn Regensburg on a free transfer.

    Meyer is expected to be the second-choice goalkeeper behind Gregor Kobel following the departures of Marwin Hitz and Roman Burki.

    "Alexander Meyer convinced us both in terms of sport and personality. In him, we get a very experienced goalkeeper who exudes calmness and has shown in recent years as a regular keeper in Regensburg that he has high quality," Kehl said. 

    "He was undoubtedly one of the strongest goalkeepers in the 2nd Bundesliga in recent years.

    Meyer added: "When a club like BVB calls, I don't have to think twice. From a sporting point of view, they're an absolute top team, and there's no need to talk about the atmosphere in the stadium. 

    "Just thinking about the Yellow Wall gives me goosebumps. I'm really looking forward to the new task and also to being part of the BVB family."

  • Goretzka: Germany not setting World Cup targets ahead of Nations League tests Goretzka: Germany not setting World Cup targets ahead of Nations League tests

    Leon Goretzka says Germany are not setting any firm World Cup targets after two disappointing tournaments, but hopes Die Mannschaft can "make a good impression" in their upcoming UEFA Nations League games ahead of their trip to Qatar.

    The Bayern Munich midfielder has won 41 caps for his country, scoring 14 goals, but has enjoyed limited tournament success with the national team, featuring in underwhelming campaigns at the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2020.

    Germany crashed out in the group stages in Russia in 2018 before being eliminated by England in the last 16 at the Euros last year, also missing out on qualifying for the Nations League semi-finals in 2020-21.

    Goretzka, who missed Germany's 2014 World Cup triumph after suffering an injury in a pre-tournament friendly, recalled those negative experiences as he insisted Hansi Flick's side had yet to set any targets for their trip to Qatar.

    Asked by Sky Sports Germany whether winning the tournament was a realistic aim, the 27-year-old said: "Answering the question doesn't do us much good. 

    "We'll play our Nations League games first and see that we make a good impression and can go to the World Cup free. 

    "I've already taken part in tournaments where we were considered one of the favourites and we failed quite a bit. Then there were tournaments where nobody expected us [to perform well] and we won. 

    "Basically, we are an absolute footballing nation with great successes in the past, and accordingly we have our expectations in such a competition."

    Germany have been drawn into a tricky Group E for the tournament, alongside Japan, Costa Rica or New Zealand, and Spain, having lost their last meeting with La Roja 6-0 in November 2020.

    Before that, Flick's side face several tough Nations League fixtures, including a home clash with England and a double-header against European champions Italy, and Goretzka believes those contests will provide Germany with a real test after Flick won eight of his first nine games at the helm. 

    "The opponents we have now are much more important," he added. "These are top games at the very highest level.

    "We haven't had one under Hansi yet, so [with] many games against top opponents, which is why we made a good impression. Now we can prove that at another level, higher up."

    Meanwhile, at club level, Goretzka endured an injury-hit campaign with Bayern, making just 19 league appearances as Julian Nagelsmann's men won the Bundesliga title, fewer than fellow midfielders Marcel Sabitzer (25), Joshua Kimmich (28), and Jamal Musiala (30).

    Despite their domestic dominance, the midfielder said Bayern's Champions League quarter-final exit against Villarreal meant the team's season "wasn't satisfactory", and is targeting better things next term.

    "We have a lot of things to improve. We played a pretty good, if not excellent, first half of the season. We were in the flow then," he added.

    "You can't say that about the second half of the season. We weren't up to par in the important games - that wasn't Bayern-like. Getting kicked out in the Champions League hasn't happened to us against such an opponent in recent years. 

    "That's why this season overall wasn't satisfactory, but that's what makes many in the club extremely motivated to do better next year."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.