EPL

Varane handed Man Utd debut against Wolves, first start for Sancho

By Sports Desk August 29, 2021

Raphael Varane was handed his Manchester United debut in Sunday's Premier League clash with Wolves, while Jadon Sancho was included in the starting line-up for the first time.

United officially completed the signing of Varane from Real Madrid two weeks ago and the centre-back was an unused substitute in last week's 1-1 draw with Southampton.

Sancho had made two substitute appearances since arriving from Borussia Dortmund, meanwhile, playing a combined 46 minutes in the Red Devils' opening two league games.

Victor Lindelof and Anthony Martial dropped out of the side from the draw at St Mary's to make way for Varane and Sancho respectively.

The omission of Daniel James was the third change made by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, with Nemanja Matic coming into the side for the showdown at Molineux.

Paul Pogba once again started and was looking to build on an impressive start to 2021-22 that included five assists in his first two outings – the most by a Premier League player at this stage.

Cristiano Ronaldo will have to wait to make the first appearance of his second spell for United as his high-profile switch from Juventus has yet to officially go through.

Edinson Cavani was in contention to feature for the first time this season at Molineux as a substitute after being given an extended break following his Copa America exertions with Uruguay.

Wolves boss Bruno Lange named the same starting line-up that fell to a 1-0 loss to Tottenham last week, meanwhile, but Willy Boly and Daniel Podence were back among the substitutes.

United had lost just one of their last eight Premier League meetings with Wolves heading into Sunday's contest, going down 2-1 at Molineux in April 2019.

Related items

  • Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona

    Barcelona midfielder Alexia Putellas has signed a two-year deal until 2026, the club announced on Thursday.

    Putellas was due to be out of contract next month, but extends her 12-year relationship with Barcelona, with the new deal also including an option for an additional season.

    The 30-year-old is a two-time Ballon d’Or winner in 2021 and 2022, though she has struggled with injuries that have kept her sidelined since winning the second.

    Overall, she has made 424 appearances, scoring a record 189 goals for the club, playing a pivotal role in Barcelona’s recent domination in women’s football.

    Putellas has won 29 major trophies with Barcelona and is looking for another on Saturday when they face Lyon in the Champions League final.

    Having already clinched Liga F, the Copa de la Reina and the Spanish Supercopa this season, Putellas can help Barcelona to complete an unprecedented quadruple with a win over the French champions.

  • Earps seeking answers before making decision on Man Utd future Earps seeking answers before making decision on Man Utd future

    Mary Earps will seek answers from Manchester United regarding the club's direction before making a decision on her future, saying she has felt like a "punching bag" this season.

    Earps' contract with the Women's FA Cup winners is set to expire in June, and there have been few signs of progress concerning a new deal.

    Last year, United rejected a world-record bid for Earps, who starred as England won Euro 2022 and finished as runners-up at the 2023 World Cup.

    Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and other clubs have been linked with Earps, and she is biding her time after enduring a difficult campaign in which her commitment to United was called into question.

    "The honest reality is that conversations are still ongoing," Earps told Sky Sports on Tuesday. "I've been clear I don't want to make an emotional decision.

    "The beginning of the season was really tough, I felt really upset about things that were being said about me and things that came out that weren't true.

    "I've tried to be professional, keep my head down, work hard, get on with my job and that's been hard. I've been a punching bag at times.

    "I know I've given my heart and soul for the whole season. It's a tough situation.

    "I've asked the club for some confirmation on what they're trying to achieve and when I have those answers I'll be able to make a decision. It's up to the club."

  • Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad

    United States coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 27-man preliminary squad ahead of the Copa America.

    Josh Sargent, the Norwich City forward, has earned a recall to the USA squad for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Colombia, and is set to feature for his country for the first time since 2022.

    With first-choice right-back Sergino Dest injured, meanwhile, Berhalter has turned to Nashville SC's Shaq Moore in defence.

    Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Matt Turner, Weston McKennie and Brendan Aaronson are among the established names to feature.

    Former Arsenal forward Folarin Balogun, who opted to represent the USA rather than England, has also made the cut, as has Coventry City's Haji Wright, who has had a strong season in England's second tier.

    Berhalter explained Sargent had been called up to give him another option in attack, with Wright seen primarily as a wide option.

    "Between their club form and what they've done for the national team in the past, we think it's a talented group of strikers," he said.

    Giovanni Reyna, the 21-year-old Borussia Dortmund attacker who has been on loan at Nottingham Forest since January, has also been included, despite a feud between Berhalter and the playmaker's family in the wake of the World Cup.

    Antonee Robinson has had another impressive season with Fulham, and has been called up alongside club-mate Tim Ream.

    Former Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen was a notable omission, as were MLS stars Jesus Ferreira and Jordan Morris.

    "This summer presents an opportunity for us to progress and grow as a team as we continue to build towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup," Berhalter said.

    "We have a talented group of players and are excited about the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the world."

    Berhalter will cut down his squad after the friendlies, with Copa hosts USA taking on Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia in Group C.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.