FA condemns racist abuse aimed at England players after Euro 2020 final loss

By Sports Desk July 11, 2021

The Football Association (FA) condemned the racist abuse directed at several England players after the Euro 2020 final loss to Italy on Sunday.

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka, who missed penalties in the 3-2 shoot-out loss, were targeted on social media in the wake of the defeat at Wembley.

The FA slammed the abuse and called for action to be taken by government and social media companies.

"The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media," a statement read.

"We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team. We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.

"We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real-life consequences.

"Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse."

The Metropolitan Police confirmed there would be investigations into the abuse.

"This abuse is totally unacceptable, it will not be tolerated and it will be investigated," they said.

Related items

  • 'I play my best cricket when I keep it simple' - in-form King looking to take things one ball at a time on Windies return 'I play my best cricket when I keep it simple' - in-form King looking to take things one ball at a time on Windies return

    West Indies opener, Brandon King, is looking to keep things simple on his return to international cricket after recently returning to the team.

    King was named as part of the Windies T20 squad who will play against England in the upcoming five-match series.  The batsman looked in solid form after returning to the team against Pakistan last month, after more than a year away from the team.  He scored 111 runs in three matches, with an average of 37 and a high score of 67.

    On the back of another controlled showing against a BCA President's XI in a warm-up match at Kensington Oval, on Tuesday, King will be looking to provide solidity against the English for a Windies team that has struggled as of late.

    “For me mentally, I play my best cricket when I am keeping things simple out there while I am batting.  I just try and play the situation as it is and that has really helped me to do better out there,” King said of his form since returning to the team.

    Despite the World Cup coming up later this year, however, and the West Indies in rebuilding mode, he insists he is not looking too far ahead in terms of regular selection.

    “I try to focus on the things that I can control.  For me, that is just every game that presents itself I just try and do my best and perform.  Selection and those other aspects I don’t have any control over it but I just try and put myself in a position to be in the conversation.”

     

  • Inter 3-2 Empoli (aet): Extra-time Sensi strike edges Nerazzurri into Coppa Italia quarter-finals Inter 3-2 Empoli (aet): Extra-time Sensi strike edges Nerazzurri into Coppa Italia quarter-finals

    Stefano Sensi scored the winner as Inter required extra-time to edge past Empoli 3-2 in the Coppa Italia last 16 on Wednesday.

    Alexis Sanchez opened the scoring after just 12 minutes at the San Siro, but Empoli turned things around as substitute Nedim Bajrami equalised before the visitors fortuitously took the lead when Ionut Radu deflected into his own net.

    Andrea Ranocchia produced an acrobatic stoppage-time equaliser to send the tie to extra-time and substitute Sensi delivered the decisive strike after 104 minutes. 

    Victory meant Simone Inzaghi's Serie A leaders squirmed through to the quarter-finals for the 18th time in 19 seasons.

    Inter deservedly took the lead when Sanchez nodded Denzel Dumfries' cross into the bottom-left corner - the forward's second goal in the competition, 4,291 days after his first for Udinese in 2010.

    The same pair combined eight minutes later, but Dumfries saw his effort kept out by Jacopo Furlan before a fantastic double save from the Empoli goalkeeper denied Lautaro Martinez.

    Ranocchia should have doubled the lead immediately after the interval but wastefully headed over.

    Bajrami punished Ranocchia's miss as he placed a left-footed effort into the bottom-right corner after Kristjan Asllani's offload before VAR overturned a penalty decision for a Dumfries handball. 

    Empoli went ahead when Radu inadvertently turned into his own net after Patrick Cutrone nodded against the woodwork, though Ranocchia equalised with an audacious volley past Furlan.

    Sanchez saw a tap-in ruled out for offside at the end of normal time, but Sensi blasted the winner into the top-left corner from the edge of the area in extra time.

     

    What does it mean? Familiar story as Inter need extra-time

    Inter enjoyed last-minute success against Juventus in the Supercoppa final last week and required more last-gasp heroics from Ranocchia to keep them in the tie.

    The centre-back's equaliser meant four of the Nerazzurri's previous eight last-16 meetings in the competition have gone to extra-time.

    Sensi's late strike ensured Inter remain unbeaten against Empoli in 11 games in this competition, the club's longest run against an opponent in the cup without losing, and Inzaghi's side will be among the early favourites to lift the trophy in May.

    Brilliant Bajrami

    Bajrami almost single-handedly changed Empoli's fortunes after his half-time introduction, scoring the equaliser in a classy attacking display, but his efforts ultimately proved to be in vain.

    The substitute created a game-leading four chances despite only playing the second half and extra-time.

    Poor Pinamonti

    Loanee Andrea Pinamonti was offered the unusual opportunity of starting up top against his parent club Inter but did little to impress.

    The striker managed just 13 touches and won none of his five duels before his half-time removal in a timid performance.

    What's next?

    Inter return to league action on Saturday at home to Venezia, while Empoli host Jose Mourinho's Roma the following day.

  • Betis ordered to shut stadium for two games after derby suspension Betis ordered to shut stadium for two games after derby suspension

    Real Betis will be unable to play their next two home games at Estadio Benito Villamarin following the suspension of their Copa del Rey clash with local rivals Sevilla. 

    The last-16 match was halted on Saturday after Sevilla midfielder Joan Jordan was hit on the head by a projectile thrown from the stands while Betis celebrated Nabil Fekir cancelling out Alejandro Gomez's opener in the 39th minute. 

    Betis emerged as 2-1 winners when the game resumed behind closed doors the following day. 

    However, their next two home fixtures will have to take place at a different venue after the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) ordered the closure of their stadium as punishment. It was deemed Betis, who have 10 days to appeal, had taken "insufficient" measures to prevent the event from occurring. 

    The official statement released by the RFEF read: "The sanction application to the disciplinary infraction … would be the total or partial closure of the venue for up to three games, or for two months. 

    "In this sense, this body considers the imposition of the sanction of total closure in its medium degree to be adequate and proportionate." 

    Manuel Pellegrini's side are scheduled to host Villarreal on February 5 and Real Mallorca two weeks later. However, if they are drawn at home in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey they may not be able to play that match at their usual ground. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.