Euro 2020 final: I represent Italy - Mancini wants to right the wrongs of international career

By Sports Desk July 10, 2021

Roberto Mancini hopes to complete a redemption tale with Italy's national team when they face England in the final of Euro 2020.

Mancini was a lavishly skilled forward and a talismanic leader for Sampdoria during his playing days, but the presence of the likes of Roberto Baggio and Gianfranco Zola in the Azzurri ranks, along with some tempestuous fallouts with coaches meant his was an international career that remained frustratingly unfulfilled.

He amassed 36 caps and scored just four times between 1984 and 1994, yet the 56-year-old's appointment as Azzurri boss in the aftermath of their failure to reach the 2018 World Cup has proved restorative for him and his country.

Playing in an adventurous, attacking style that Mancini pledged to stick with at Wembley, Italy have been a team reborn under the ex-Inter and Manchester City boss.

"I had the opportunity to play for the under-21 side, for the senior side who were excellent, but we weren't able to win either the European Championship or the 1990 World Cup, which we also would have deserved," he told a pre-match news conference.

"It's a very important moment for me because I represent Italy.

"I really hope that I can enjoy the experience that I didn't enjoy during my playing career despite the fact I played in some wonderful Italy teams."

 

Italy's technically superb midfield trio of Jorginho, Marco Verratti and Nicolo Barella were unable to exert their usual control against Spain in the semi-final, with Mancini's side restricted to 30 per cent possession in the 1-1 draw before prevailing on penalties.

He insists this happened more down to circumstances than by design and insisted they will take will look to take the game to England.

"We've always played this way. Even against Spain we wanted to play like that, but Spain did a good job in limiting us," Mancini added.

"They kept the ball better than us so they did a better job on that score."

"We will try to do what we have done thus far and what's brought us here. We can't change that now."

Italy striker Ciro Immobile this week thanked Mancini and his staff for giving him "a cuddle" as his individual form has dwindled during the tournament – painting the picture of a happy camp somewhat at odds with the scene he left when he was sacked by City in 2013, a year on from guiding them to the Premier League title.

 

"They all need a cuddle, especially after the 50-odd days that we've spent together," he said.

"Thankfully it's always been a positive, happy camp. They've all given more than a 100 per cent so far, otherwise we wouldn't have made it into the final."

Asked how he would best hope to describe his team in the final, Mancini added: "Entertaining and fun, I would say that again. I hope the players can enjoy themselves for another 90 minutes tomorrow night."

Related items

  • Allegri bemoans Juventus' 'worst first half' as Bianconeri lose to Monza again Allegri bemoans Juventus' 'worst first half' as Bianconeri lose to Monza again

    Massimiliano Allegri said Juventus "never had a first half like" their poor showing against Monza on Sunday.

    The Bianconeri went in 2-0 down to the visitors at the break and were unable to turn it around in the second-half as Raffaele Palladino's men completed a league double over them.

    Goals from Patrick Ciurria and Dany Mota were enough for Monza to secure a 2-0 win at Allianz Stadium, following their 1-0 win against Juve earlier in the season in Palladino's first game in charge.

    Monza became only the second team ever to win both their first two games against Juventus in Serie A, after Inter in 1930.

    Speaking to the media after the defeat, Allegri said: "I'm angry, we can't concede goals like that. We've never had a first half like today.

    "We have to think about working on the field... we need to examine our conscience and start playing with intent again."

    It was the latest setback for Juve after being hit with a 15-point deduction in Serie A related to previous transfer dealings, and Allegri was left in no doubt how much work there is to do to rescue their season.

    "Reality says that we have 23 points, so we still have to win many more," he said. "This is reality, and if we don't look at it, we'll get hurt. 

    "We are all responsible for the performance... In [our last] three games [in the league] we won just one point and conceded 10 goals.

    "We facilitated the Monza goals, they came out with disarming ease. You can't allow them to get into the defence like we did. They got through us too easily.

    "We didn't have any reactions... The last few performances were not up to par, when you lose you have to lose in another way, [though] there was a different attitude in the second half."

  • Bavuma century sets up record run chase to seal series victory for Proteas Bavuma century sets up record run chase to seal series victory for Proteas

    Temba Bavuma made a magnificent century as South Africa produced a record run chase to beat England by five wickets and seal an ODI series victory.

    Jos Buttler top scored with an unbeaten 94 from 82 balls, while Harry Brook (84) and Moeen Ali (51) struck quickfire half-centuries to get the tourists up to an imposing 342-7 at Mangaung Oval on Sunday.

    That was not enough to set up a series decider, though, as captain Bavuma (109 off 102) crafted his first international century for a year as the Proteas pulled off the highest successful ODI run chase in Bloemfontein.

    David Miller finished off the job with 58 not out from 37 balls as South Africa boosted their chances of securing direct qualification for the World Cup in India this year, consigning England to a fifth consecutive loss in this format.

    Jason Roy fell for only nine after scoring a century in the first ODI on Friday and Dawid Malan (12) also failed, but Brook and Buttler put on 73 for the fourth wicket.

    Brook raced to a half-century before falling to Aiden Markram and Moeen kept England ticking along nicely with his skipper until he played on to a delivery from Anrich Nortje (2-64).

    Buttler and Sam Curran (28 off 17) cut loose as the world champions took 60 off the last four overs to seemingly take the upper hand.

    Bavuma led by example to get his side off to a blistering start, combining with Quinton de Kock – who took a blow on the wrist while keeping but did not appear to be hampered – for 77.

    Olly Stone (2-48) got rid of De Kock but Bavuma was in great touch with support from Rassie van der Dussen (38) as England – who left Jofra Archer out the paceman's long-awaited return in the opening match – were unable to halt the flow of runs.

    Bavuma fell scooping Curran into his stumps soon after bringing up a sublime third ODI hundred to end a stand of 97 with Van der Dussen, who then became Adil Rashid's (2-72) second victim.

    Heinrich Klaasen (27) failed to build on a start, but Miller and Marco Jansen (32no off 29) got South Africa home with five balls to spare – the left-hander fittingly winning it by clattering Chris Woakes for six.

     

    Brook and Buttler pummel Proteas attack

    Brook has made a great start to his international career and showed his class in only his second ODI after being dismissed for a duck on debut two days earlier.

    He struck four sixes and seven fours before Buttler provided a late onslaught, getting his side up to a big total with support from Moeen and Curran.

    The skipper cleared the rope on three occasions and struck eight boundaries, shifting through the gears in explosive fashion.

    Brilliant Bavuma sets up record chase, Miller delivers again

    Bavuma had not reached three figures for his country since his hundred against India last January, but he ended that wait in style.

    With South Africa battling to seal their World Cup spot for the tournament in India, Bavuma batted beautifully to lay the platform at the top of the order.

    Miller thrives on the responsibility of being the finisher and he delivered once again, hitting three sixes as South Africa bettered their previous best ODI run chase on this ground of 274-4 against Australia in 2020.

  • Inaki Williams record run ends at 251 consecutive LaLiga games as injury sidelines Athletic Bilbao star Inaki Williams record run ends at 251 consecutive LaLiga games as injury sidelines Athletic Bilbao star

    Inaki Williams missed Athletic Bilbao's game at Celta Vigo on Sunday due to injury, ending the forward's astonishing record run of 251 consecutive LaLiga appearances.

    Before his omission was confirmed by the club, Ghana international Williams had not missed a league game since the 2015-16 season.

    The 28-year-old was suffering an unspecified physical problem that meant head coach Ernesto Valverde had to cope without the team's mainstay.

    Williams surpassed the previous record of 202 consecutive games when he featured in the win over Alaves in October 2021, going past the mark set by former Real Sociedad stalwart Jon Andoni Larranaga.

    The marathon ever-present spell began for Williams on April 20, 2016, when he appeared as a substitute in a 1-0 defeat against Atletico Madrid.

    During the 251 games, Williams scored 50 goals and had 31 assists, from totals of 456 shots and 207 chances created.

    Athletic won 89 of those games, losing 84 and drawing 78.

    Since Williams' run of games began, up to and including Sunday, Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak made the second-most appearances in LaLiga, featuring in 240 games.

    Williams started 212 matches and appeared as a substitute 39 times across his marathon stint for Athletic.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.