JFF congratulates former Reggae Boy Wes Morgan, who hints at retirement after FA Cup success

By May 17, 2021

The Jamaica Football Federation has offered its congratulations to former Reggae Boy Wes Morgan, whose side Leicester City defeated a star-studded Chelsea 1-0 to win the FA Cup at Wembley on Saturday.

Youri Tielemans’ long-range strike in the 63rd minute was enough to give the Foxes a 1-0 victory over their more celebrated rivals.

“We are extremely happy for Wes,” said JFF President Michael Ricketts. “He has been a great soldier for Leicester City and a willing servant for Jamaica. There is no better way to bow out of the professional game than with a prestigious trophy. We wish nothing but the very best for him in the future.”

Morgan hinted at retirement following Saturday’s victory that gave Leicester City their first-ever hold on the trophy.

“Nothing’s been announced yet, I need to discuss it with the club, but I don’t think I’ve got too many more miles on the clock, we’ll say that,” said Morgan who played the last eight minutes of the match after being out with a back injury since December.

 “I wasn’t sure if I was going to make the squad. The gaffer asked me if I could make it on the bench and I said if I’m needed for the last 10 minutes, I’ll be available. We were 1-0 up and the last thing I expected a week ago was to be playing again, but I came on and now I have won the FA Cup.”

The FA Cup is the second major trophy captain Morgan has won with Leicester City. He lifted the English Premier League with the club in 2016.

Morgan made 30 appearances for the Reggae Boyz between 2013 and 2016.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Rummenigge expects 'very responsible' Kimmich to take COVID-19 vaccine soon Rummenigge expects 'very responsible' Kimmich to take COVID-19 vaccine soon

    Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expects "very responsible" Bayern Munich midfielder Joshua Kimmich to show he is a role model by taking the coronavirus vaccine.

    Germany midfielder Kimmich stated that he wants to wait for further research to be conducted before he is jabbed.

    The 26-year-old and his Bayern team-mate Leon Goretzka started a 'We Kick Corona' initiative last year to help those affected by COVID-19.

    Former Bayern president Rummenigge says Kimmich should not be criticised for wanting to know if there may be any long-term effects of being vaccinated but believes he should take the jab and will in the near future.

    The Germany great told Bild Live: "First of all, I would like to say to Kimmich that he may be the Bundesliga player who has a role model function in many ways. 

    "I know him as a great person, as his 'We kick Corona' initiative shows. Of course, it came as a surprise that he wasn't vaccinated. That has now led to a discussion. 

    "In February of this year, I suggested that it would be wise to vaccinate footballers early – as an example for everyone else. 

    "I've been horribly criticised. Now it has turned a little. What Joshua does is very responsible. He would like to wait for things like the long-term effects for himself and he is tested every other day. As a role model, it would still be better if he were vaccinated.

    "I am convinced that he may be vaccinated soon. He is a totally responsible person and player. We can be very happy that he is part of these two teams in our country."

    Rummenigge does not believe players should be left with no choice.

    He added: "The compulsory vaccination does not lie with football, but with politics. Due to the fact that one or the other is not vaccinated in Bavaria, we now have a discussion. But that shouldn't be introduced through football."

    Head coach Julian Nagelsmann, who is fully vaccinated, was absent for the Bundesliga champions' 4-0 hammerings of Benfica and Hoffenheim this week after testing positive for COVID-19.

  • Pique: I still intend to retire at Barcelona, but not as a substitute Pique: I still intend to retire at Barcelona, but not as a substitute

    Gerard Pique has reiterated his desire to see out the remainder of his career at Barcelona, but suggested he will consider retiring early if he is no longer a regular starter.

    The ex-Spain international is into his 14th season at Camp Nou since returning to the club from Manchester United in 2008 and remains a key presence at the back.

    Pique turns 35 in February but is confident in his ability to keep going, despite competition from Ronald Araujo, Eric Garcia, Clement Lenglet and Samuel Umtiti.

    "I've never had competition like that, but it is not a bad thing," he told El Pais. "As a young man you learn at what level you can compete.

    "When I was 19 and on loan at Real Zaragoza I discovered that I could perform in LaLiga against the greats.

    "At 34 you know what level you are at and whether you're going to play.

    "The debate over 'veterans' and youngsters is created by the media and extends to the fans.

    "It's like with the national team when there was a campaign about whether Pique should be there or not – that's where the whistles generated from.

    "As some of us who have been here for many years know, it's good to see new people. I understand youngsters are the attraction because they're the future and it's a project.

    "But older players are necessary, and I'm not just saying that because I'm the oldest. I have the experience of having lived through a lot and can pass that on."

     

    Pique proved his importance to Barca with the winning goal in Wednesday's 1-0 victory over Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League.

    At 34 years and 260 days at the time of the goal, that saw the centre-back surpass Sylvinho (34d, 241y) as the oldest player to score for Barca in the competition.

    He is also now also the joint-leading goalscorer among defenders in Champions League history, level with Real Madrid icon Roberto Carlos (16 each).

    "The truth is I don't feel like a 'veteran'," Pique said. "The other day I saw the record I was the oldest European scorer for Barca and that depressed me a little.

    "But then I saw Roberto Carlos was the defender I'm level with for most goals and that was better. 

    "Of course, if I reach an age that I'm no longer considered as important as I've previously been, I will go. 

    "But I still have my rebellious side, I still make the same jokes and I feel physically well.

    "I'm not the fastest, but I can compete against the best and not feel inferior. As long as it remains like that, I'll play."

    Asked if that means he may consider joining another club before retiring should he fall out of favour at Camp Nou, Pique said: "I will retire at Barca. That is for sure.

    "What I won't accept is playing as a substitute. If it comes to the last three months of a season and that happens, well... But a whole year on the bench? No, I don't want that."

  • Theo Hernandez available for Milan after negative coronavirus test Theo Hernandez available for Milan after negative coronavirus test

    Theo Hernandez has been cleared to return to action for Milan after recovering from coronavirus.

    The 24-year-old tested positive for COVID-19 upon returning from international duty with France nearly two weeks ago.

    He was subsequently forced to sit out the Serie A wins over Hellas Verona and Bologna, either side of Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Porto in the Champions League.

    However, Milan announced on their official website on Sunday that Hernandez's latest coronavirus test came back negative and he is now available for selection.

    Stefano Pioli's side face Torino and Roma in Serie A over the next week, before hosting Porto and bitter rivals Inter in crucial games ahead of the next international break.

    Fode Ballo-Toure has filled in during Hernandez's absence, but the Frenchman's return will be considered a huge positive for Pioli.

     

    Since joining Milan in July 2019, Hernandez's combined 25 goals and assists has been bettered by only four defenders in Europe's top five leagues – Trent Alexander-Arnold, Raphael Guerreiro (both 28), Achraf Hakimi and Robin Gosens (both 35).

    The 93 chances created by Hernandez in Serie A over that same timeframe is third to Federico Dimarco (97) and Juan Cuadrado (114), the latter of whom has often played further forward.

    Prior to being struck down by coronavirus, Hernandez played a crucial role in France's Nations League success with a 90th-minute winner in the 3-2 semi-final victory over Belgium and an assist for Kylian Mbappe's winner in the 2-1 final triumph over Spain.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.