Nagelsmann for €30million? Bayern reportedly make Leipzig approach

By Sports Desk April 25, 2021

Bayern Munich have reportedly made a first move for RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann, but prising him away could prove an expensive operation.

Bundesliga leaders Bayern, who stand on the brink of a ninth successive title, are set to lose head coach Hansi Flick at the end of the season after he asked to be released from his contract.

While Flick is seen as a possible successor to Joachim Low with the Germany national team, the 33-year-old Nagelsmann is considered one of Europe's best young coaches.

His name has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid, Manchester United, Tottenham and many others at various times, but Bayern have also kept a close eye.

Bayern are said to be chasing a fee for the release of Flick to the German Football Federation (DFB), while it has been reported that Leipzig want up to €30million to free up Nagelsmann.

Bavarian newspaper TZ puts the fee being sought in the region of €20million, while Sport1 suggests the higher sum was quoted by Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff after an initial approach from Bayern.

Nagelsmann's contract with Leipzig, who sit second in the Bundesliga, runs until the end of the 2022-23 season.

The former Hoffenheim coach joined Leipzig in 2019 and helped the team reach the semi-finals of last season's Champions League, the competition that Bayern won to complete a famous treble under Flick.

Nagelsmann has yet to declare his wishes amid the discussions about his future.

Former Bayern and Germany star Lothar Matthaus recently suggested Nagelsmann was a shoo-in for the Allianz Arena job.

Nagelsmann has won 53, drawn 21 and lost 16 of his 90 matches in charge of Leipzig.

Speaking on April 18, he said there had been no talks with Bayern.

"There is simply nothing I can report," Nagelsmann told a media conference on that day. "I think it's totally wrong to then sit down and say what if, and maybe get yourself talked about somewhere and make yourself important on things that aren't there.

"I can't sit down and say, I'm going to break up with Lena Gercke [German model] tomorrow, because I've never dated her, for example.

"I'm sorry to say that there are no new developments compared to the last press conference. The same things apply that I said there.

"There are and were no discussions and no offer. That's why I don't know what Bayern's wish is. I have said I don't want to start a war with my employers - that's still the case."

Related items

  • Emma Hayes: Chelsea not overthinking semi-final against ‘world-class’ Barcelona Emma Hayes: Chelsea not overthinking semi-final against ‘world-class’ Barcelona

    Emma Hayes insists Chelsea have not overanalysed “world-class” Barcelona ahead of their Champions League clash on Saturday.

    Chelsea have travelled to Catalonia for the first leg of their semi-final 12 months on from the two clubs meeting at the same stage of the competition.

    Barcelona prevailed 2-1 on aggregate on that occasion before overcoming Wolfsburg in Eindhoven to lift the trophy for the second time in three years.

    Chelsea boss Hayes, speaking ahead ahead of this weekend’s first leg at Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, said: “Barcelona have been the top team in Europe in recent years.

    “Results have suggested that, they are world champions and European champions, but this is a football match and there’s two legs.

    “Our job is to get ourselves in a position where we can come here and give them competition.

    “You have to be in it to compete for it and you know that you’re going to face a team like Barcelona at some stage, and it happens to be at the semi-finals.

    “We understand the team, we understand the opponent, and we respect them. They are world class and have unbelievable players.

    “We’ve had a game Wednesday and we’ve only had the one training session today (Friday) so we’re not overthinking or overanalysing anything.”

    Chelsea have never won the Women’s Champions League with their best performance being a final appearance in 2021 when Barcelona thrashed them 4-0.

    Arsenal are the only English club to win the trophy, a distant 17 years ago in 2007.

    “We just have to keep building on our experiences in Europe,” said Hayes. “No player needs motivation to play this game.

    “Next week we get a little more time together on the grass to work on things between the two games, based on the learnings.

    “For this game we have to keep doing the good things that we’ve been doing throughout Europe this year.”

    Chelsea have received a double boost with England pair Millie Bright and Lauren James available for selection.

    Club captain Bright has not played since November because of a knee injury, while James sat out Wednesday’s 3-0 victory over Aston Villa in the Women’s Super League.

    Hayes said: “I always come from a tactical perspective, first and foremost, from what the needs are for that game.

    “Of course, when you play three games directly after an international break, within a seven-day period, you have to utilise the squad.

    “We certainly know that no matter the team we put out, we’re highly competitive and Wednesday demonstrated that. So many players came in and added much-needed energy.

    “It’s not just the personnel, it’s about structures.

    “When you’re playing against an opponent who’s going to have over 70 per cent of the ball, they’re going to have control of the ball and the game in that regard, how you defend spaces is important.”

    Chelsea have confirmed the departure of Germany goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger to NJ/NY Gotham FC of the National Women’s Soccer League.

    Berger, 33, made 114 appearances in five years at Chelsea and leaves the club having won four WSL titles, three FA Cups, two Conti Cups, one Community Shield and a Golden Glove.

  • Man Utd appoint Jason Wilcox as new technical director after leaving Southampton Man Utd appoint Jason Wilcox as new technical director after leaving Southampton

    Jason Wilcox has left Southampton to become Manchester United’s new technical director with immediate effect.

    The 53-year-old becomes a key appointment at Old Trafford as part of United’s off-field overhaul following Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s arrival at the club.

    Wilcox joined Championship side Southampton last summer as their director of football, making the switch from Manchester City where he developed a reputation for nurturing excellent young talent as well as recruiting some of the best prospects in the game.

    A United statement read: “Jason Wilcox has joined Manchester United as technical director with immediate effect.

    “He will work with all technical areas of the football department to achieve the highest standards of performance.

    “Jason was previously director of football at Southampton and before that academy director at Manchester City.

    “As a player he won the Premier League with Blackburn Rovers in 1995.”

    A Saints statement read: “Southampton Football Club can today confirm that it has reluctantly agreed to allow director of football Jason Wilcox to join Manchester United, having reached an agreement with the Premier League side on an acceptable compensation fee.

    “Whilst the club is naturally disappointed that Jason’s stay at Southampton has only lasted nine months, it wishes him well for the future.”

    John Murtough stepped down as football director at Old Trafford last week.

    United are looking to add Newcastle sporting director Dan Ashworth to their staff as Ratcliffe continues his off-field rebuild after taking a 27.7 per cent stake in the club.

    Wilcox will report to the sporting director, who will have overall responsibility for football performance, recruitment and operations.

    The PA news agency understands Darren Fletcher will continue to play a key role in the football leadership team working across the men’s first team and academy.

  • Maya Le Tissier signs new deal with Manchester United Maya Le Tissier signs new deal with Manchester United

    England defender Maya Le Tissier has signed a new contract extension at Manchester United.

    The centre-back joined United from Women’s Super League rivals Brighton in July 2022 and has gone on to make 59 appearances.

    Her existing contract was due to expire next year but she has pledged her future to United, with the length of the deal not disclosed.

    “I’m really happy to sign a contract extension with this great club and look forward to ending the season strong, while continuing to build for the future,” the 22-year-old said on www.manutd.com.

    “A big thank you to all our fantastic fans for their great support since I joined, and I’m excited for many more winning moments together.”

    Le Tissier, capped three times by England, was an ever-present last season as United reached a maiden FA Cup final and finished second in the WSL to qualify for the Champions League for the first time.

    She has not missed a game in any competition this season and was last week instrumental in repelling Chelsea as United claimed a shock win to reach the FA Cup final for the second successive campaign.

    “Maya has become a real fixture of our team,” United head coach Marc Skinner said. “For her to be playing every single minute like she has, is testament to her.

    “We want to make Maya a key feature of our team for many years to come. Maya’s a leader and everybody at the club should be proud that she’s decided to sign for us long term.

    “She has the right mentality and the right attitude – and is a perfect role model for the next generation. We look forward to working with her for many winning years to come.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.