EPL

Lampard sacking shows 'brutality' of football, says Mourinho

By Sports Desk January 26, 2021

Jose Mourinho feels Chelsea's decision to sack Frank Lampard highlights the "brutality" of football.

The Blues ended Lampard's reign after just 18 months on Monday, with former Paris Saint-Germain boss Thomas Tuchel poised to replace him.

Mourinho has had two spells as Chelsea manager, both of which ended mid-season, and is well aware of the pressures at Stamford Bridge.

The Tottenham boss regrets any managerial sackings but felt particularly sad for his former player Lampard.

"I don't think Frank wants to speak to me or with anyone apart from his close circle of family and friends," Mourinho, who turned 58 on Tuesday, told reporters.

"But I am always sad when a colleague loses his job.

"And Frank is not just a colleague - he is an important person in my career - so I feel sorry he did [get sacked].

"But it is the brutality of football, especially modern football so when you become a manager you know that sooner or later it is going to happen to you."

Mourinho was speaking after a late surge gave Tottenham a 4-1 away win over Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup.

Spurs are fifth in the Premier League, four points and four places ahead of rivals Chelsea, who have only won eight of their first 19 top-flight games this season.

In a statement after his sacking, Lampard said he was disappointed at being prevented from taking Chelsea to the next level.

But the former Derby County boss expressed pride at the emergence of several academy players during his tenure.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City and Foden reach agreement on new six-year £78m contract Rumour Has It: Man City and Foden reach agreement on new six-year £78m contract

    Phil Foden has been a revelation since breaking into Manchester City's first team and the Premier League champions are eager to reward him with a new deal.

    The England midfielder is under contract under 2024, but City are set to keep in at the club for the long term.


    TOP STORY – CITY REACH FODEN AGREEMENT FOR BUMPER DEAL

    Manchester City and Foden have reached an agreement in principle on a £78million deal according to Football Insider.

    The mega-money deal is worth around £250,000 per week for the 22-year-old, pushing him close to the money Kevin De Bruyne and Erling Haaland are earning.

    The length of the contract is six years for the Stockport-born star, who came through the academy at City.

    ROUND-UP 

    Arsenal have moved on from Dusan Vlahovic , according to Fabrizio Romano, who claims the Gunners are not interested in re-visiting a potential move for the Serbian who joined Juventus in January.

    Manchester United will dangle a five-year contract for striker Marcus Rashford as they look to tie him down long term, reports The Express. Rashford's current deal expires at the end of this season.

    – Calciomercato claims Alex Sandro will depart Juventus when his contract expires at the conclusion of this season. The Brazilian has previously attracted interest from Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain .

    Romelu Lukaku has no plans to return to Chelsea when his season-long loan with Inter expires at the end of this season, reports La Gazzetta dello Sport.

    Chelsea are ready to pay £30million for Fulham's 17-year-old midfielder Luke Harris , claims The Mirror. Harris was called up to Wales' Nations League squad, but is yet to debut for the Cottagers.

    Liverpool and Arsenal are both considering a move next year for Villarreal's 21-year-old winger Alex Baena , reports the Daily Mirror.

  • Nations League campaign 'not a shipwreck' for France ahead of Qatar 2022, says Deschamps Nations League campaign 'not a shipwreck' for France ahead of Qatar 2022, says Deschamps

    France boss Didier Deschamps insisted his side are far from "a shipwreck" after losing 2-0 to Denmark in their final game before heading to Qatar 2022.

    Les Bleus will head into their World Cup trophy defence in November on the back of a poor Nations League campaign that saw them limp home third in Group A1.

    Three losses in competitive matches since March means France have already matched their worst-ever record in that regard for a calendar year.

    Having been tipped as strong contenders to be world champions again, France's second loss to the Danes in 2022 – ahead of a Group D battle between the teams in Qatar – has set off alarm bells among supporters.

    Deschamps, who guided the team to glory at Russia 2018, has pushed back against suggestions his side are in crisis, pointing to both his decision to field a younger side and comparing France's form to other major rivals struggling for results.

    "I don't think it's a shipwreck," he told TF1. "We had a lot of chances. We were weak, we made errors when playing out from the back.

    "It is a young French side, which in the most part doesn't have players with experience at the very highest level. It is not a question of systems.

    "We mustn't worry. Having the players with international experience back will do us good. There's no worrying. It's difficult for everyone.

    "Yesterday, I was watching other games. There are other big teams losing as well. We shouldn't think of ourselves as better than them. We are going to have to fight."

    Deschamps added: "I'm not going to darken the situation any further. This is a reminder of what will be waiting for us in two months."

    Kylian Mbappe struggled in parts against Denmark, and looked to be nursing a minor knock at one point, but Deschamps was quick to assure that he is unconcerned about the Paris Saint-Germain forward's game.

    "Kylian has done a lot of good things. He's also one of the few players to have played 90 minutes twice in three days," Deschamps said.

    "He cannot do everything. He was more decisive three days ago, yes, but like the whole team, I am not worried about Kylian."

  • Allan leaves Everton for Abu Dhabi side Al Wahda Allan leaves Everton for Abu Dhabi side Al Wahda

    Brazil international Allan has left Everton for Abu Dhabi side Al Wahda on a two-year deal.

    Allan spent two seasons with Everton after being brought to Goodison Park by Carlo Ancelotti and made 57 appearances for the club in all competitions.

    But Allan had not played a single minute under Frank Lampard this term after falling down the pecking order following the arrivals of Idrissa Gana Gueye and Amadou Onana.

    Al Wahda confirmed the signing of the 31-year-old, who earned the most recent of his 10 Brazil caps in November 2020, on their official social media accounts on Sunday.

    The UAE Pro League side finished third last season and become the fifth club of Allan's senior career following spells with Vasco da Gama, Udinese, Napoli and Everton.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.