Atletico president would like to see Messi and Ronaldo back in LaLiga

By Sports Desk April 24, 2023

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo would like to see Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo face off in LaLiga before both players retire.

Messi has been repeatedly linked with a return to Barcelona, with whom he spent 21 years prior to leaving for Paris Saint-Germain as a free agent in August 2021.

Ronaldo enjoyed nine trophy-laden seasons with Real Madrid, meanwhile, prior to playing for Juventus, Manchester United and now Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr.

While there has been little talk of Ronaldo heading back to the Spanish top flight, Cerezo believes it would benefit the league for the two superstar forwards to return one day.

"It would seem fantastic to me if Messi returned to the league, the same as Cristiano Ronaldo," he said while attending the Barcelona Open tennis final on Sunday. 

"Both are still playing and it would be fantastic if they returned."

Cerezo was speaking ahead of Atletico's 1-0 loss to Barcelona, which leaves Diego Simeone's side 16 points adrift of the leaders and five behind second-place Real Madrid.

Yannick Carrasco played a full part for Atletico, though he may find himself at Barcelona next season as the Catalan giants have the option to sign the versatile wide player.

"Yannick is a very good player, fantastic," Cerezo said when asked about Carrasco's future. 

"In the world of football, there are people who want to achieve many things and don't get to, and others who don't want anything and get it. I don't know [what will happen next]."

Related items

  • Xavi left with 'no regrets' following Barca dismissal Xavi left with 'no regrets' following Barca dismissal

    Xavi says he will leave Barcelona with "no regrets" and continue to follow their fortunes as a fan, after his impending departure from the club was confirmed.

    The former midfielder revealed in January that he would be leaving Barca at the end of the season, but was convinced to remain in charge last month by club president Joan Laporta.

    However on Friday - ahead of the Blaugrana's final match of the LaLiga season against Sevilla this weekend - the club confirmed Xavi would be departing after all.

    The 44-year-old guided Barca to the LaLiga title last season in his first full campaign in charge, but they will finish at least 12 points adrift of champions Real Madrid in second place this time around.

    It turned into a trophyless campaign for the Blaugrana, who bowed out of the Champions League and Copa del Rey at the quarter-final stage.

    Xavi has won 89 of his 142 games (62.7 per cent) since taking charge in November 2021, while bringing through the likes of Gavi and Lamine Yamal, and says he will leave the club with his head held high.

    "I have no regrets. I have tried to do my best. We have worked with a lot of love for this club. I'm a Barca fan for life," he told reporters at his pre-match press conference.

    "These are complicated days, they have not been easy, but I'm fine. I have a clear conscience, I'm proud of myself and calm.

    "It has not been an easy time because of the state of the club. I am happy because I have done a good job - we have won two titles, had more successes and won important matches.

    "Laporta has told me why he thinks the club needs a change of direction and I accept it, he is the one who decides. I have no choice. I am a club man.

    "I believed in the squad and that we could do interesting things, but it wasn't to be. I wish [Laporta] the best of luck and, from now on, I will be just another fan."

    Hansi Flick, the former Bayern Munich and Germany coach, is expected to be confirmed as Xavi's replacement.
     

  • Rooney lauds 'exciting' opportunity after being named Plymouth head coach Rooney lauds 'exciting' opportunity after being named Plymouth head coach

    Wayne Rooney is looking forward to an "exciting project" after he was named head coach of Plymouth Argyle.

    Plymouth narrowly avoided relegation from last season's Championship, finishing just a point and a place above 22nd-placed Birmingham City.

    Incidentally, Rooney managed Birmingham during the campaign, though he lasted less than three months before being sacked.

    Having replaced the fired John Eustace with the club sitting sixth in the Championship, Rooney was dismissed in January after winning just two of his 15 matches at the helm, with Birmingham ultimately going on to be relegated to League One.

    Though his time at Birmingham was challenging to say the least, Rooney has high expectations for his new role, saying: "Taking this role at Plymouth Argyle feels like the perfect next step in my career.

    "This is an opportunity to be part of an exciting project. I look forward to helping to build a squad of players to play expansive football.

    “I have experienced first-hand how talented the existing group of players is here, and also the incredible atmosphere at Home Park. The club is on an exciting long-term journey, with a progressive plan in place. I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of it. 

    "I can't wait for the Championship season to start in August."

  • Michel hails 'incredible' season but admits Girona face battle to replicate success Michel hails 'incredible' season but admits Girona face battle to replicate success

    Michel saluted an "incredible" season for Girona, but admitted it will be hard for his side to emulate their exploits next term.

    The Blanquivermells have enjoyed a campaign to remember in LaLiga, topping the table on several occasions before eventually finishing third and securing Champions League qualification for the first time.

    Michel's side capped the season with the biggest win in the club's history, as Artem Dovbyk scored a hat-trick in a 7-0 rout of already relegated Granada at Estadio Municipal de Montilivi.

    Their final total of 81 points makes them one of only four teams to reach that tally in LaLiga's current format, along with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

    But Michel already has his sights set on next season, during which he knows Girona will have to work hard to repeat their success - especially with several players expected to leave the club.

    "I'm feeling a bit down because good things are over," he told reporters. "We achieved something very important. The day-to-day of the season has been incredible.

    "The counter resets to zero. We will start to fight for a great season to come, and that's what we will do from tomorrow onwards.

    "The dynamics of football tell you that there won't be the same players or the same season. The problem is that many people will be missed.

    "We are growing, and we have to continue taking steps forward. We have to lay the first stone, rest, recover, celebrate this great success and, from next week, start planning to put Girona as high as possible."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.