'We are waiting for you there!' – Rodrygo would welcome Ancelotti appointment as Brazil boss

By Sports Desk March 23, 2023

Rodrygo joked Brazil's Real Madrid contingent are all eagerly awaiting Carlo Ancelotti to take over as the Selecao's new head coach.

Madrid boss Ancelotti has been strongly linked with the job, despite still having another year to run on his contract at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Rodrygo is one of three Madrid players in the Brazil squad, along with Eder Militao and Vinicius Junior, and he would welcome the appointment of Ancelotti as Tite's successor.

"We joke with him: 'Wow, coach, we're waiting for you there'," Rodrygo told Globo. "He jokes that we'll make the squad list together, the four of us in the same room.

"We talk in a joking tone, but every joke has a bit of truth. The situation is difficult because it means he'd have to leave Madrid.

"That way I can't say anything beforehand, but of course it would be an honour to have him here."

The Brazilian Football Confederation last month denied an agreement had been reached with Ancelotti to replace Tite, who left after Brazil's World Cup quarter-final elimination to Croatia.

Ancelotti has won 25 trophies across his 28-year managerial career, including four Champions League titles – two with Milan and two in separate spells with Madrid.

Speaking earlier this week, goalkeeper Ederson suggested "there is a big possibility" Ancelotti will take charge of the five-time world champions.

"Just look at his CV. We will know shortly whether he will be here or not," Ederson said. "I hope we can have a new coach quickly.

"I feel the anticipation too because there's too much speculation. Is it a Brazilian or a foreign coach? We are also living that phase of anxiety."

Under-20 coach Ramon Menezes will oversee Brazil's friendly with Morocco in Tangier on Saturday.

Related items

  • Michel hails 'incredible' season but admits Girona face battle to replicate success Michel hails 'incredible' season but admits Girona face battle to replicate success

    Michel saluted an "incredible" season for Girona, but admitted it will be hard for his side to emulate their exploits next term.

    The Blanquivermells have enjoyed a campaign to remember in LaLiga, topping the table on several occasions before eventually finishing third and securing Champions League qualification for the first time.

    Michel's side capped the season with the biggest win in the club's history, as Artem Dovbyk scored a hat-trick in a 7-0 rout of already relegated Granada at Estadio Municipal de Montilivi.

    Their final total of 81 points makes them one of only four teams to reach that tally in LaLiga's current format, along with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

    But Michel already has his sights set on next season, during which he knows Girona will have to work hard to repeat their success - especially with several players expected to leave the club.

    "I'm feeling a bit down because good things are over," he told reporters. "We achieved something very important. The day-to-day of the season has been incredible.

    "The counter resets to zero. We will start to fight for a great season to come, and that's what we will do from tomorrow onwards.

    "The dynamics of football tell you that there won't be the same players or the same season. The problem is that many people will be missed.

    "We are growing, and we have to continue taking steps forward. We have to lay the first stone, rest, recover, celebrate this great success and, from next week, start planning to put Girona as high as possible."

  • Simeone concedes 'it is not easy' for Atletico to compete with Madrid Simeone concedes 'it is not easy' for Atletico to compete with Madrid

    Diego Simeone believes Atletico Madrid have fallen short of their objectives this season, but conceded it is difficult to compete with the "best team in the world" in Real Madrid.

    Although they are set for a fourth-place finish in LaLiga, Los Rojiblancos are 21 points adrift of Carlo Ancelotti's newly crowned champions. 

    Atleti fell to Borussia Dortmund following a 5-4 aggregate defeat in the Champions League quarter-finals, while they were soundly beaten by Athletic Club in the Copa del Rey semi-finals.

    And as a third successive trophyless season comes to pass at the Metropolitano Stadium, Simeone admits his side could have done better.

    "We have the responsibility to get into the Champions League every year. You can be left out, but you can also be champions," he told reporters ahead of Atletico's final LaLiga game of the campaign against Real Sociedad.

    "But with Real Madrid, who are the best team in the world and will continue to be because they have rejuvenated the squad, it is not easy.

    "We have to keep working at 120 per cent because 100 per cent is not enough, and 80 per cent is even less to be able to get closer to them, keeping in mind that those below us are also improving.

    "We were close to the Copa del Rey final and were expecting to reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. We created the illusion of being in a possible final, and we weren't able to do it, so now we have to think about what comes next to improve things.

    "I have had players who have allowed me to compete as we have done since I arrived, and a coaching staff where everyone who has walked this path has given maximum effort. There is always room for improvement and growth."

  • Under-pressure Ten Hag claims Ratcliffe wants him to stay at Man Utd Under-pressure Ten Hag claims Ratcliffe wants him to stay at Man Utd

    Erik ten Hag has claimed Manchester United's new part-owner Jim Ratcliffe has told him he wants the Dutchman to stay at Old Trafford.

    Reports on Friday suggested Ratcliffe, who now runs the footballing operations at United following INEOS' 27.7 per cent purchase of the club, had decided to sack Ten Hag regardless of the result of Saturday's FA Cup final, with the Red Devils taking on Manchester City.

    United finished eighth, their worst-ever Premier League finish, this season, with Ten Hag under increasing scrutiny.

    However, while hitting out at his critics in an interview with Dutch publication Voetbal International, Ten Hag claimed to have the backing of INEOS.

    "INEOS told me that they want to change everything and that they want to rebuild with me," he said.

    "This is what they told me directly."

    Former Ajax boss Ten Hag also defended his tenure at United so far.

    "United won the league for the last time in 2013, 11 years ago. But still they expect us to win every game while competing at the top. This club is not ready for that," he said.

    "We were supposed to start building something and we made the first steps last year, but then you find out how big this club is and that nobody is ever satisfied.

    "Within the club people were satisfied, but outside the club there was noise, [people] saying I won only the EFL Cup, lost the FA Cup final and finished third.

    "Well, then you have no sense of reality. Other clubs had a much better squad."

    Ten Hag also suggested that some pundits in England see United as "easy pray".

    He added: "It's the biggest club in England and possibly in the world. The club is either loved or hated, there is no in-between.

    "So when things go bad, they all start talking and talking with very big words. All this negativity from these so-called experts who don't have the capability to analyse something with facts, but who prefer to attack people to make themselves look better.

    "And these same people were the ones who gave me a pat on the back last year. Last year I was able to walk on water, this year I am the worst manager in the Premier League?"

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.