'We need you' – Kimpembe pleads to PSG fans through a megaphone after latest loss

By Sports Desk February 11, 2023

Presnel Kimpembe pleaded to Paris Saint-Germain supporters through a megaphone following Saturday's 3-1 loss at Monaco.

The 27-year-old played the final 10 minutes at Stade Louis II as PSG's disappointing run of form continued against Les Monegasques, who moved into second place.

Christophe Galtier's side have now lost three of their seven league games in 2023, as many as in their previous 45 games in the competition.

PSG were also eliminated from the Coupe de France by fierce rivals Marseille in midweek and have a big Champions League last-16 first-leg tie with Bayern Munich up next.

As tensions boiled over in the away section, no visiting player initially went across at the full-time whistle, but Kimpembe soon took matters into his own hands.

The centre-back was handed a megaphone and, with supporters still jeering, said: "We're going to need you guys. We need you; we need everyone.

"The only thing I can say is thank you for coming. We will regroup in the dressing room and do things properly. We know we'll get moving again on Tuesday."

Asked in the mixed zone shortly after about his reaction, Kimpembe told reporters: "It was necessary. It's difficult for them. 

"We know that they support us. They make the trips like us. They also pay for it. It's the least we can do to go and see them."

 

PSG were without Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe against Monaco, while Fabian Ruiz was a surprise absentee as the reigning champions were hampered by injury and illness.

Aleksandr Golovin struck early for Monaco and Wissam Ben Yedder doubled the lead before half-time, punishing an error from 17-year-old El Chadaille Bitshiabu.

Sixteen-year-old Warren Zaire-Emery briefly put the visitors back in contention at 2-1, but Ben Yedder struck again as PSG suffered successive defeats in all competitions for the first time since last March.

PSG's three league defeats in 2023 is their highest tally after seven games of a calendar year since 2010 when losing five times, but Kimpembe denied his side are in a crisis.

"It's not a crisis. The season is still long, it's not over," he said. "We know that these are not the results we had hoped for. That's how it is, it's football.

"It's up to us to wake up, to do what we need to do to be able to put in a series of good performances."

Asked to define PSG's current form, Kimpembe said: "It's a bad patch. As we know, wearing the PSG shirt is hard, it's heavy. 

"You have to know how to have the right responsibilities and do what you have to do on the field."

Next week's visit of Bayern now brings even more pressure, with the German champions boasting six wins from six in this season's Champions League.

"There's no reason to be worried," Kimpembe added. "We've had six important months with nothing but wins. We shouldn't throw that away, even if it's true it's a difficult period. 

"We are all aware of it. We have to stop talking, we have to act."

Related items

  • Ja's Cavalier, Dom Rep's Moca face uphill tasks to overturn deficits against FC Cincinnati, Nashville Ja's Cavalier, Dom Rep's Moca face uphill tasks to overturn deficits against FC Cincinnati, Nashville

    Though faced with uphill tasks to overturn 0-2 and 0-3 deficits, Caribbean clubs Cavalier of Jamaica and Dominican Republic’s Moca FC, will be intent on leaving everything on the pitch when they challenge FC Cincinnati and Nashville SC in Round one return leg of the Concacaf Champions Cup on Wednesday.

    Cavalier will be away to FC Cincinnati at the TQL Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio t 7:00pm, while Moca FC are also away to Nashville SC at Geodis Park in Tennessee for the 9:15pm encounter.

    Last week’s first leg was the first ever Champions Cup match for both Cavalier and FC Cincinnati, with the Major League Soccer (MLS) side proving too good for their Jamaica Premier League (JPL) counterpart, despite a gritty effort by the latter.

    Sergio Santos and Malik Pinto did the damage for FC Cincinnati inside Jamaica’s National Stadium. But perhaps more impressive was the effort from FC Cincinnati’s defence to shutout the highest scoring team from the 2023 Concacaf Caribbean Cup, which comprises Golden Boot winner Shaniel Thomas.

    With a two-goal cushion and a pair of away goals, FC Cincinnati, playing their first ever Champions Cup match at home, are in the driver’s seat to progress to the Round of 16, and only need a repeat of last week’s performance to confirm that much.

    While MLS clubs hold a seven-win advantage in meetings with Jamaican clubs, that statistic will mean very little to Rudolph Speid and his Cavalier side, who will be hoping to summon their best all-round performance to not only shutout the menacing Luciano Acosta and company, but more importantly, score some goals of their own.

    Cavalier twice scored five goals during last year’s Caribbean Cup, doing so in the group stage against Golden Lion of Martinique in a 5-2 win, followed by a 5-0 win at fellow Jamaican club Harbour View in the semifinals.

    Cavalier will require that kind of output if they are to turn this series around in their favour. In addition to Thomas, Jalmaro Calvin and Orlando Russell, will need to fire on all cylinders.

    Meanwhile, Nashville SC, who got their first-leg goals from Hany Mukhtar, Sam Surridge and Tyler Boyd, will be aiming to maintain their dominance to also confirm their spot in the Round of 16.

    However, with Mukhtar and Surridge both carrying injuries, their absence could dampen Nashville’s attacking prowess and possibly present a window of opportunity on which Moca FC will be aiming to capitalise on.

    A win on United States soil would see Moca FC being the first Dominican Republic team to do so. Though highly unlikely, it is by no means impossible and Gustavo Ascona, who was one of the stars of the 2023 Concacaf Caribbean Cup with four goals, along with Juan Angeles, will be integral to their chances.

     

  • Jenni Hermoso happy to be enjoying football again after Luis Rubiales ordeal Jenni Hermoso happy to be enjoying football again after Luis Rubiales ordeal

    Jenni Hermoso has revealed “football continues to give me life” after emerging from the controversy surrounding former Spanish football federation chief Luis Rubiales’ unsolicited kiss.

    Speaking at a press conference for the first time since Rubiales was forced to resign after kissing her on the lips in the wake of Spain’s World Cup final victory over England, the 33-year-old midfielder reflected upon a difficult six months as she prepared for her country’s Nations League final clash with France.

    She said on Tuesday: “For me, it’s very important to play in another final, to continue here. I feel good, football continues to give me the life I need.

    “I want to continue enjoying games with my national team and with my Tigres team, and I continue to enjoy this sport.

    “If we win tomorrow, Spain will have made history again.”

    Rubiales’ actions, which have since resulted in a three-year FIFA ban from all football-related activity, prompted boycotts of Spanish national teams and sparked anger across the world over sexism in the women’s game.

    Hermoso, who plays her club football in Mexico, found herself at the centre of the controversy and admitted she had found that tough.

    She said: “I’m lucky to be back in a final after six very long months. Today I’m enjoying football, competing with Spain to win another tournament.

    “A lot has happened since then. It has been a hard process of understanding many things.

    “I’m still playing football and the only thing I want is to continue enjoying myself wearing this shirt.”

  • Ian Evatt baffled by Bolton loss as Wigan complete double Ian Evatt baffled by Bolton loss as Wigan complete double

    Ian Evatt insisted he was ‘baffled’ as to how Bolton did not pick up all three points at neighbours Wigan – let alone coming away from a feisty Sky Bet League One fixture with nothing.

    Stephen Humphrys’ 69th-minute goal was enough to settle a stirring Lancashire derby at the DW Stadium, and see the Latics record a league double over their neighbours.

    But while Wigan’s victory last August had been a 4-0 romp, this time Bolton had the upper hand for three-quarters of the game – without managing to translate that onto the scoreboard.

    It left them wide open to a sucker punch which further dents their promotion hopes.

    “We controlled it, it was one team trying to win and the other one trying to survive,” said Evatt.

    “Football, as I have said before, is a really harsh industry.

    “I am the first to say when we have not performed, and we performed. The only thing missing was the goal.

    “We had chances and they just didn’t go in. Sometimes you don’t get what you deserve.

    “But there isn’t a man in the stadium that can honestly say that we didn’t deserve to win that game.”

    The evening ended with the majority of players from either side involved in a melee that saw both managers having to get involved.

    “We won’t accept one of their players celebrating in front of our supporters,” added Evatt. “Go and celebrate with your own fans, no issue with that, but not ours.

    “You certainly shouldn’t be celebrating when you are mid-table.”

    Opposite number Shaun Maloney countered: “I think their manager thought one of our players was over-celebrating in the far corner.

    “But there’s no hard feelings on either side, these are just emotional moments.”

    On his side’s victory, Maloney added: “We obviously had to defend for long periods. But I really liked some of the things we did in the first half with the ball, without creating a lot.

    “Both teams were trying to play through each other, and I thought they were really good with the ball.

    “I had to respect the players they have – I think they have a lot of good attacking players – and we tried to get pressure high up.

    “At times it worked, and at times it didn’t work. But in that last 20 minutes or so, we had to defend and in fairness to the lads, I thought they were brilliant.

    “It was tough, really tough out there and they really dug deep.

    “It was a derby and in these types of games, particularly being at home, you give absolutely everything… every tackle, every header, you give it your all.

    “In terms of tactical things, the fans aren’t going to worry… as long as they see their players giving their all, they’re happy – and they did.

    “Trust me, I would have liked more of the ball but it was tough out there and we needed the fans, particularly near the end.

    “Some of the lads were on their knees at the end and they take all the credit there, along with the fans.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.