Spain boss opens door for potential Sergio Ramos recall

By Sports Desk January 31, 2023

Sergio Ramos has "every chance" of making a return to the Spain squad, according to new head coach Luis de la Fuente.

The veteran Paris Saint-Germain defender is La Roja's all-time leading appearance maker with 180 caps, while he was part of the 2010 World Cup-winning side as well as the European Championship triumphs in 2008 and 2012.

However, the 36-year-old, who has played 27 times for PSG this season, has not featured for his country since the 3-1 victory over Kosovo in March 2021, subsequently missing Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup. 

Nevertheless, De La Fuente has left the door open for the centre-half ahead of his first match in charge of La Roja against Norway in their Euro 2024 qualifier in March.

Speaking during an appearance on Spanish show El Hormiguero, he said: "Sergio Ramos, like other illustrious veterans, has every chance to come.

"Making a selection is a very long process. First, we started by controlling all the Spanish players, then we reduced it to 70 or 80 players, which is six or seven players per position, and then we reduce it more.

"Of course in a first idea, both Sergio Ramos and Iago Aspas or other Spanish footballers who are very good and are on the lips of all fans have possibilities to come.

"However, that does not mean that they will come, because there are other players also very good, and you have to value many aspects – in addition to football – when making a call."

It is a month since De La Fuente succeeded Luis Enrique following Spain's World Cup last-16 exit to Morocco, and the 61-year-old admitted he was shocked by the acceleration of his appointment.

"I didn't expect it. It was very fast, because once the World Cup was over, I thought Luis Enrique was going to continue," he added.

"But there was a call from Luis Rubiales [Royal Spanish Football Federation president] in which he told me that he wanted me to be the coach and I told him that of course, because I feel strong and prepared for it.

"But I really did not think that this decision was going to be made so quickly, nor did I think that Luis Enrique was going to leave the national team. But in the end, the circumstance occurred and here I am."

Related items

  • Scrapping of FA Cup replays sparks calls for EFL clubs to be compensated Scrapping of FA Cup replays sparks calls for EFL clubs to be compensated

    FA Cup replays are being scrapped next season, ending 150 years of tradition and sparking calls for EFL clubs to be compensated for lost revenue.

    The Football Association announced the format change on Thursday morning as it confirmed a new agreement with the Premier League which will increase funding to the grassroots game by up to an extra £33million per season.

    The FA’s chief executive Mark Bullingham said the new format – which includes fifth-round ties reverting to weekends after five seasons in midweek, and the final being played on the penultimate weekend of the Premier League season – would strengthen the FA Cup.

    Changes to the domestic calendar were inevitable given the expansion of the Champions League from next season, and although replays’ days have appeared numbered for some time, a Football Supporters’ Association poll last summer found 69.5 per cent of fans still saw them as an important part of the FA Cup.

    The FSA has relayed the “serious concerns” of fans about the loss of replays to the FA, while the EFL expressed frustration and disappointment over how it has felt sidelined on the detail around such a pivotal calendar decision affecting its clubs, particularly since talks over its own financial settlement with the Premier League stalled earlier this year.

    The EFL will now seek to discuss the mechanisms within the new agreement to ensure its clubs do not lose out financially from the loss of replays.

    The FA’s statement said the Professional Game Board – which includes four EFL representatives including its chairman Rick Parry – had approved the overall calendar for next season containing the changes.

    Sources close to the EFL insist that although there was broad agreement on the calendar at the Professional Game Board level, the EFL had not been privy to discussions around the mechanisms to ensure the changes did not cause its clubs financial detriment.

    The sources also insisted it was not true that the EFL’s own board had approved the changes, only that it had been appraised of what was discussed at the Professional Game Board. The timing and content of Thursday’s announcement is understood to have taken the EFL and its clubs by surprise.

    The FSA, which has held regular meetings with the FA over the cup’s format, said: “It’s clear today’s announcement about the FA Cup has not gone down well with a lot of fans up and down the country.

    “Supporters are concerned that the changes to the FA Cup will further diminish what makes the competition enduringly popular – namely its history, heritage and tradition.

    “While we recognise the footballing calendar is coming under impossible strain – due to the increasing bloat of FIFA and UEFA competitions – recent surveys of both our members and National Council revealed serious concerns about loss of replays and the impact that could have on the magic of the competition.

    “The FA Cup is the oldest domestic cup competition in the world, an asset of national importance, and we have shared those concerns with the FA as its primary custodians.”

    EFL chief executive Trevor Birch said: “Whilst the league had previously been involved in discussions over the future of the calendar, these were predicated on the agreement of a new financial deal with the Premier League for EFL clubs which has not progressed.

    “This is frustrating and disappointing given the calendar is a shared asset across football and as we have consistently said a whole game approach is required to find solutions to complex fixture scheduling challenges.

    “Our domestic calendar has been put under extreme pressure by the expansion of UEFA competitions and ultimately this represents another lost traditional revenue stream for EFL clubs at a time when the financial gap between the biggest clubs and those further down the pyramid is growing bigger than ever.

    “We will now be discussing the implications for EFL clubs and seeking appropriate compensation arrangements.”

    The EFL announced on January 24 that it would not make any changes to the format of next season’s Carabao Cup until a new financial deal had been agreed. That leaves open the strong possibility of clashes between that competition and UEFA dates next season.

    FA sources have challenged the notion that replays are major revenue earners for lower-league clubs.

    Of the 19 third and fourth-round replays in the last 10 years where an EFL side was away to a Premier League team, 12 had an attendance of over 25,000. Only a very small percentage of first and second-round replays over the same period achieved attendances of over 7,000.

    While the FA Cup final will not be the last domestic fixture of the season, as was the case for many years, there will not be Premier League matches scheduled on the same day.

    The late May Bank Holiday weekend has been ringfenced for the EFL play-offs.

    The mid-season break has also been scrapped in order to allow the 2024-25 Premier League season to start in mid-August. It is hoped the longer break will ensure top-flight clubs are able to give their players a consecutive three-week rest.

  • Dundee consider appeal against six-figure fine for postponements over poor pitch Dundee consider appeal against six-figure fine for postponements over poor pitch

    Dundee are considering an appeal after being handed a six-figure fine – most of which is suspended – following a disciplinary hearing over their troublesome pitch.

    The Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) announced that a fine of £186,000 had been handed down.

    However, £120,000 of the punishment is suspended until the end of next season and will only be triggered by a further breach of rules.

    Dundee disagreed with the wording of the SPFL press release, claiming they had been fined £150,000 in total with an additional £36,429.60 fee payable as compensation to the SPFL for television and pitch specialist costs.

    The cinch Premiership club say the additional £120,000 fine would be “automatically triggered in the event of a single waterlogged pitch postponement next season”.

    A statement added: “Dundee Football Club are deeply disappointed with the severity of the punishment and are currently seeking legal advice with regards to an appeal.

    “The club will be making no further comment on the outcome while we seek legal advice.”

    The league said that Dundee had admitted five separate breaches of SPFL rules relating to their Dens Park pitch following five postponements of league matches this season.

    An SPFL spokesman said: “SPFL rules on pitch condition are an integral part of maintaining a fair league competition.”

    Two of the postponements – against Rangers and Aberdeen – came within 90 minutes of kick-off and a recent game against Motherwell only went ahead following a late pitch inspection, with visiting manager Stuart Kettlewell subsequently arguing that areas were unplayable.

    The rearranged match against Rangers was postponed again last week and a contingency plan was made to play the game at St Johnstone’s McDiarmid Park before the game finally went ahead at Dundee’s home ground on Wednesday, with the match ending goalless.

  • Massimiliano Allegri taking nothing for granted at resurgent strugglers Cagliari Massimiliano Allegri taking nothing for granted at resurgent strugglers Cagliari

    Cagliari’s record at home means Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri is not taking the trip to the Sardinian capital lightly.

    Juventus are well positioned to secure Champions League qualification for next season, while Cagliari are just four points above the drop zone ahead of Thursday’s contest at the Unipol Domus.

    The Bianconeri next take on Lazio in the Coppa Italia semi-final on Tuesday, holding a 2-0 lead from the first leg.

    But Allegri is wary of Claudio Ranieri’s Cagliari, who scored twice in the last quarter of an hour to secure a 2-2 draw at runaway league leaders Inter Milan last time out.

    “Of their eight wins this season, six have come at home and 23 of the 31 points they’ve got have been picked up at home,” Allegri told a press conference.

    “They’re a team who score a lot of goals in the last 15 minutes of games and particularly with players who come off the bench, they have scored more goals with substitutes than anybody else.

    “We know it will be a tough game, so our very best version will have to show up. We won’t be rotating ahead of the Italian Cup, the most important game is Cagliari, then we’ll focus on the cup.

    “It would be a mistake to not focus on Cagliari, and a win in Sardinia would allow us to take a big step towards our goals.”

    Juventus still have clashes against top-four rivals AC Milan, Roma and Bologna ahead of them in the next few weeks.

    “It’s important to stay focused on the next month or so,” Allegri added. “We have a lot of difficult games to come. A win at this stage is almost worth double.”

    Cagliari have lost just once in their last eight matches to ease relegation fears and twice hit back from a goal down to claim a surprise point at Inter Milan on Sunday.

    “I told the guys that they are doing well, but we have new pitfalls ahead of us,” Ranieri told a press conference.

    “The team is focused, we have to keep the right balance. We have to keep pushing without fear, the salvation fight is very tight. There are no foregone conclusions, you go out there and fight.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.