Ibrahimovic back with ball at his feet as Milan veteran targets return

By Sports Desk January 24, 2023

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is stepping up his Milan comeback after filming himself with the ball at his feet at the club's Milanello training ground.

The 41-year-old signed a one-year contract last July but has been sidelined ever since while recovering from knee surgery.

Ibrahimovic, who has scored 33 goals in 60 league appearances in his second spell with the Rossoneri, was a Serie A title winner last season.

Given his age, the end of his career is likely not far away. That is despite the former Barcelona and Manchester United player saying in September: "If I see a player stronger than me, I'll stop. But I haven't seen him yet."

Ibrahimovic's video shows him taking small steps with the ball at his feet, before pausing at the end of the penalty area and turning the camera to point at the goal. It then shows him smiling into the camera and raising his eyebrows, as though to signal his eagerness to get back into scoring action.

Milan, who are 12 points behind league leaders Napoli, have Champions League last-16 games against Tottenham coming up on February 14 and March 8, plus a Serie A derby with Inter on February 5.

Related items

  • Charlie Adam eyes instant return to League One after Fleetwood’s relegation Charlie Adam eyes instant return to League One after Fleetwood’s relegation

    Fleetwood manager Charlie Adam has already targeted an instant return to League One after their relegation was confirmed despite a 1-0 win at Leyton Orient.

    Town’s 10 year tenure in the third tier came to an end despite Xavier Simons scoring three minutes into added time to settle the match and give the 133 traveling fans some small consolation on their return to the north-west.

    Adam became Fleetwood’s third boss of the season when he took charge in December and he is determined to make sure their stay in League Two is a short one.

    “It’s been a tough day for everybody involved at this football club, the directors, the management the players and the supporters,” Adam said.

    “That group of players have given us everything since we came in on December 31 and it’s unfortunate that we’ve just come up short. It really is bitterly disappointing for Fleetwood as a club and for the town.

    “I thought we were in full control of the game, we were never really under pressure and that’s what you will see from this side next season. They are going to run and fight all the way.

    “That performance away from home was very good.

    “I can’t thank the supporters enough for coming to support us. They have been with us all season since we came into the building and I’m really gutted for them.

    “There is a lot of frustration of why and what but we’ll sit down and address things and we are going to do everything we can to come straight back up. We have the nucleus of a very good squad in League Two because they’ve shown they are good League One players.

    “I’m already thinking about next season, what we want, what we need, how we are going to play and what we are going to do.”

    Orient boss Richie Wellens said: “I’m very disappointed at the way the season has ended for us. I’m very professional and I want to keep my standards at the same level all the time.

    “Twelve months ago, we were playing Crewe Alexandra in League Two to try and win the league and promotion and my mindset is exactly the same today as it was then.

    “Today, I thought that in the first half we were good but in the second half we were poor.

    “We were too slow at the back, kept passing back to our keeper, didn’t play through lines or play forward and we didn’t counter well and it was all a bit messy. We got what we deserved, so yes I’m very disappointed.

    “We need four or five players to come in and make an impact. There are certain players I keep asking them to do the same thing week in and week out but my patience is wearing thin.”

  • Jim Goodwin praises partying Dundee United players after promotion secured Jim Goodwin praises partying Dundee United players after promotion secured

    Jim Goodwin praised his partying Dundee United players for handling the pressure and expectation of being cinch Championship title favourites as they celebrated their return to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

    Almost 10,000 Tangerines supporters rolled up at Tannadice to see homegrown striker Chris Mochrie net in the 78th minute and secure a 1-0 win over 10-man Ayr, a result that sparked a jubilant pitch invasion at full-time.

    Although they are not arithmetically assured of finishing top of the table just yet, United are six points clear of second- placed Raith Rovers, who would need an unrealistic goal difference swing of 36 over the closing two matches of the campaign to catch the champions-elect.

    “The players are enjoying themselves,” said Goodwin. “Anybody who has been in this position before will tell you it’s more a sense of relief than anything else, especially when the expectation and pressure is all on you as a group of players and staff.

    “It’s not easy to get over the line but the boys have handled that level of expectation really well, particularly the younger players. It’s been a really enjoyable league campaign.

    “It’s great that we’ve been able to do this with a couple of games to spare. We can relax now over the next couple of weeks, we can enjoy our training and look forward to the celebrations we’re going to have after the Partick game with our supporters.”

    Goodwin joked that he had no concerns about his side’s partying causing them to squander their healthy goal-difference advantage over the closing two weekends of the campaign.

    “Defensively we’ve been solid and scored a huge amount of goals and that has put us in the position that we’re in today where we’re able to celebrate,” he said.

    “Of course, it’s not mathematically impossible (to be caught) and people will still say we need to wait a little while before we can be crowned as champions but given how well we’ve been defensively, I don’t see us losing that amount of goals in the next couple of games, regardless of how hard we party over the next few days.”

    Ayr boss Scott Brown was frustrated by the decision to send off Nick McAllister on the hour mark after he caught Glenn Middleton with his elbow.

    “I thought our lads were exceptional today,” he said. “For us, it is a very harsh red card. But if you put your elbow up, you give the referee that decision to make.

    “Fair play to Dundee United for winning the game and all the best for them next season. But I was proud of my lads today.”

  • Falkirk extend unbeaten league run to 34 games despite early red in Kelty draw Falkirk extend unbeaten league run to 34 games despite early red in Kelty draw

    League One champions Falkirk extended their unbeaten run to 34 league games despite going down to 10 men early on in their 2-2 draw with Kelty Hearts.

    Kalvin Miller opened the scoring inside eight minutes for the hosts at the Falkirk Stadium but they then lost Coll Donaldson to a red card in the 17th minute for a high challenge.

    The visitors got a lucky break when Leon McCann turned the ball into his own net in the 25th minute before Callumn Morrison restored Falkirk’s lead in the 32nd minute.

    One minute later, Reece Lyon fired home from the edge of the area to ensure the sides split the points.

    Goals either side of half-time from Jamie Barjonas and Reghan Tumilty secured second-placed Hamilton a 2-1 victory over fourth-placed Montrose, whose goal came from Blair Lyons in the first half.

    Relegated hosts Edinburgh City were level with Annan Athletic at the break, but Aidan Smith completed the visitors’ 2-1 comeback eight minutes after the restart, while Stirling Albion and Queen of the South’s clash ended in a goalless stalemate.

    League Two bottom club Clyde claimed a valuable point in their battle against relegation after Barry Cuddihy struck home in the 71st minute of their 2-2 draw with champions Stenhousemuir.

    The result keeps them just one point adrift of ninth-placed Stranraer, whose meeting with Dumbarton ended in a goalless stalemate on an afternoon that saw the Sons drop to third place after Peterhead claimed a dramatic 1-1 draw at 10-man Elgin City.

    Ross Draper’s 10th-minute opener saw Elgin leading – despite Keith Bray’s 57th-minute sending-off – until Peter Pawlett levelled in second-half stoppage time to draw his side level on 56 points with Dumbarton, but moving up to second on goal difference.

    Russell McLean’s second-half brace secured Forfar a 2-1 win over East Fife, while Blair Henderson scored an 85th-minute winner in Spartans’ 1-0 victory at Bonnyrigg Rose.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.