EPL

Under-fire Lampard receives public backing from Everton owner Moshiri

By Sports Desk January 11, 2023

Frank Lampard retains the backing of Everton's majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri, who expressed his support for the struggling manager in an open letter to disgruntled supporters.

Having staved off the threat of relegation from the Premier League last term, Everton are mired in the drop zone with 18 games of the season gone, putting Lampard under severe pressure.

Last week's dismal 4-1 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion provoked a furious reaction from the Goodison Park crowd, while Friday's FA Cup loss at Manchester United made it eight games without a win for the Toffees.

With Everton not winning a game in any competition since beating Crystal Palace on October 22, Lampard's position has appeared increasingly perilous. 

Lampard said he was not seeking assurances about his future after the Brighton loss, but he received them on Wednesday as Moshiri publicly backed his under-fire manager.

"As the majority shareholder and proud custodian of Everton, I have the utmost respect for the support of Evertonians. I am also fully aware and understand the concerns that fans may have," Moshiri wrote in an open response to a letter from the Everton Fans' Forum, expressing concern about the club's position.

"We regularly review our performance and initiate change where we feel the club falls short of standards. 

"This has meant that we have seen turnover in managers, directors of football and several board members, but we have always striven to achieve success.

"I have faith in the work being done not only by our manager, but by our director of football [Kevin Thelwell] and our board of directors. 

"That faith is based on my knowledge of the depth and quality of work being done at Finch Farm – and of the plan that is in place. 

"I am confident that we have skilled, experienced and focused professionals at all levels of the club. We are all agreed that our current league position must and will improve."

Despite Everton's woeful run of form, they are only behind 17th-placed West Ham due to goal difference ahead of Saturday's huge clash with bottom club Southampton.

Related items

  • Sean Dyche welcomes ‘clarity’ after Everton points deduction reduced Sean Dyche welcomes ‘clarity’ after Everton points deduction reduced

    Everton manager Sean Dyche is grateful for the clarity their successful appeal against a 10-point deduction has brought and insists they will take on the rest of the season “with an open mind”.

    The long wait for a decision on the punishment for breaching profitability and sustainability rules was ended this week when the penalty was reduced to six points, lifting the club out of the relegation zone.

    There is another case still pending for a breach on the latest set of accounts – and the long-running takeover sage by 777 Partners is still dragging on – but for now Dyche is looking to capitalise on the boost it has provided.

    “We’re pleased we have got something back, obviously,” he said.

    “You are always greedy and want more and more but the points the club put forward have been listened to and we have got the four points back.

    “We will take that and now it brings clarity to the situation, which is good for us and the players but good for all actually.

    “We’ve certainly parked that now because it’s become a fact; a line has been drawn under it and the players are clear on it.

    “We take on the rest of the season with an open mind.”

    Dyche admits the long delay in receiving a verdict had started to play on the players’ minds but praised their ability to remain focused.

    And he said the takeover issue would not affect them at all.

    “It does start to creep in eventually. To be fair to these players, it took a long time for that to happen,” he said.

    “We were all waiting, the noise gets bigger and bigger – ‘when’s it coming?’ – and the players hear all that and I thought they have stayed pretty steadfast in performance levels.

    “The league table looks different and now it is about using that wisely and stepping on.

    “They (the players) are not worried about takeovers, that is miles above what you do on the football pitch.

    “I think the points tally and the idea of the appeal was a much different situation.”

  • Jordan Henderson was ‘one of our best signings’, says Saudi league vice-chairman Jordan Henderson was ‘one of our best signings’, says Saudi league vice-chairman

    Jordan Henderson’s short-lived move to Saudi Arabia benefited the country’s league “a great deal”, its vice-chairman has said.

    The 33-year-old England midfielder completed a move to Dutch side Ajax last month after leaving Al Ettifaq less than six months into a lucrative three-year contract.

    Henderson hinted at regrets over his move to the Middle East in his introductory press conference in Amsterdam.

    He had previously championed LGBTQ+ rights and was widely condemned over the move to Saudi Arabia, where same-sex relationships are criminalised.

    However, Saudi Pro League boss Saad Al Lazeez told the Financial Times Business of Football Summit on Wednesday: “Jordan Henderson, even though he left, was one of the best signings in the Saudi Pro League.

    “We signed 93 players in the summer window, and I would say 28 to 30 of them would be in anybody’s list of the top 300 players, and you don’t expect all of them to stay.

    “Sometimes things do not work out, sometimes the player does not adapt, you expect those things to happen.

    “But I still maintain Jordan Henderson was one of our best signings, we benefited a great deal from his signing, we’re learning a lot of lessons and we will continue to grow from there.

    “We have been with Jordan throughout his journey from the day we signed him in the UK. We still maintain a good relationship with him. He’s a great guy, a great person. It just did not work out. So that’s life.”

    Henderson said on January 19: “In life, if you want to call them regrets or mistakes, you can call them that.

    “But, at the same time, they’re only mistakes if you don’t learn from them.

    “Looking back, at the time, obviously it was a big decision. It was a decision I felt was right for me and my family at the time, but things happen. Things change quickly in football.

    “I had to make another decision and this (joining Ajax) is the one I felt was right decision for me.”

  • You learn to dance in the rain – Steve Evans hails hard-fought win You learn to dance in the rain – Steve Evans hails hard-fought win

    Steve Evans was pleased to see his Stevenage side ‘dance in the rain’ as Boro returned to the top six with a 1-0 win over managerless Cambridge in League One.

    Jordan Roberts turned and swivelled on the edge of the box to score and press home Stevenage’s dominance after Us keeper Jack Stevens was called into action on multiple occasions, with his side now just five points above the relegation zone.

    As for Stevenage, they leapfrogged Oxford to move back into the play-off spots and Evans hopes his side have what it takes to weather the challenges ahead in the run-in.

    He said: “When you are in the promotional season, I have been in it many times. There are loads of storms that come.

    “Storms can be opposition, they can be officials or players getting injured. Storms could be bad misses; storms can be bad mistakes at the back or a bad error.

    “But you learn to dance in the rain, and that means you learn to work hard and be disciplined and I thought my players danced in the rain tonight.”

    Stevenage were threatened by Cambridge sporadically in the second half, and the home side failed to add a nerve-settling second goal for the second game in a row after failing to put 10-man Wycombe to the sword on Saturday.

    Evans said: “I think tonight there is no reason why we don’t score more, and we had a couple of one-on-ones and we have to take them.

    “We moved it around and we had big opportunities to get the second goal and then enjoy our evening, but I think this season we have never done it the easy way compared to last year.”

    Cambridge, meanwhile, have won only once in their last six games and find themselves without a manager ahead of a crunch trip to third-place Bolton on Saturday, with Barry Corr expected to take charge in the north-west.

    The interim head coach said: “Stevenage are very direct and get numbers around the ball, and we needed to do something about that.

    “You have to combat Stevenage and they are good at what they do. They spend ages over everything and Stevenage is a difficult place to come this year and they are having a brilliant season.

    “The fixtures have been difficult in the last three games, we played three teams in the top six. I don’t want to make excuses but these games won’t define our season and playing Bolton away won’t define our season.

    “But we will go there and we will look to be as competitive as we can, and we don’t want to feel sorry for ourselves.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.